Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has "auto parking brake" become more aggressive?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have noticed a much more aggressive applying of the parking brake automatically while I'm backing into my garage. I don't have my seatbelt on, but I'm also firmly planted in the seat. It used to be it would only happen if I twisted or lifted off the seat a bit. Now it happens when I'm sitting square and looking at my backup camera.

I'm curious if this was a software change or if my seat's butt sensor is on the fritz?

I'm looking for answers other than "wear your seatbelt". I have a large property and a complicated backup procedure to get into my garage. More importantly, I watched a poor valet struggle with this just a few days ago. Poor guy; the first time it happens you think you hit something. How would he know to put his seatbelt on?

I certainly know it isn't a new feature, as I have also experienced it before. But I'm wondering if it has become more aggressive. I have backed my car without a seatbelt for 2 years now, and once I learned to stay in my seat while doing it I haven't had this problem happen until recently, and now it can happen 5 times in one session, but then no times the next time I park.

That's interesting you bring this up. I was backing up just a short distance today, with my seatbelt off but my butt firmly in the seat, and the car stopped me. I know I was planted good in the seat because I'm well aware of the jarring that can happen when moving slowly with your seatbelt off if you raise just a bit off of the seat. I thought to myself perhaps my seat sensor was going bad but maybe it is a software change if it's happening to others.