Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Autopilot gotten super conservative lately?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my car since Feb 2021.

It seems like about 2 months ago, my Autopilot has gotten extremely conservative.

For example, let’s say I’m cruising along at 70 mph (speed limit). I approach a car in front of me going slower (40mph). My car will obviously slow down and match the speed. When the car in front of me accelerates to the speed limit, my car will just sit there cruising along at 40mph. Then after about 8 seconds it’ll slowly…very slowly start accelerating to 70mph. But the delay is so drawn out, people will speed past me blowing their horns. I’ve gotten into the habit of just jabbing the accelerator pedal to get the car moving, because the reaction to speeding up is EXTREMELY delayed.

Did I maybe change some setting? Feels like I activated Grandma mode.

No, I'd say TACC behaviour has definitely changed in recent months. I used to be unhappy about how aggressively it tried to maintain following distance. Now it is much more subtle in acquiring a slower lead vehicle at the right separation, and also not over-reacting when another car cuts in front. However, the delayed acceleration when the lead vehicle starts to pull away at highway speeds is incredibly frustrating. When I use TACC, I don't want to have to intervene with the accelerator or else I'd opt to drive manually. Automation and manual control should never be mixed unless that's how the design is intended to work (which is not the case for TACC).