Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Autopilot gotten worse recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has Autopilot gotten worse in highway driving recently? I drove a stretch of highway I don't use often (narrow lanes), and it felt like the car was trying to kill me three times in 10 miles. I have a 2020 Y and haven't activated FSD Beta yet specifically to avoid some of the erratic behavior.

One event it aborted a lane change with no other car at risk, returning me to the original lane where another car was rapidly approaching. It also slowed down and created a huge following distance a couple times, maintaining ~20 car lengths at 50MPH.

There was also some odd behavior with regen braking where it was significantly less pull than normal. Just want to know if anything changed or if I need to look into operator error issues.

In my experience it hasn’t gotten worse. It also has always done the things you mention above. I have had less cancel lane change midway through for no apparent reason lately, but it’s a sporadic problem. When the car gets spooked it can take a while to be happy again. I will often ride the accelerator when this happens, which may or may not exacerbate it’s spookedness.

Sounds crazy, try rebooting your car.

After almost every car update, something breaks in one of my two teslas. Usually it's something benign like spotify, the mic, or Bluetooth. Less commonly, it's GPS, or some cameras. After my last car update, NoA lanes weren't being visualized and I could only use autosteer on highways and back roads. All the cars, traffic signs, and people showed up fine but fsd beta or NoA wouldn't engage. Anyways, restarting the car fixed it.

I'm wondering if you had a recent update and a side pillar camera is glitched. Check your notification history on the car before restarting it. If it is glitched then there will probably be a notification about reduced visualizations.

Also check if all cameras are clean.

Each update makes it not quite as good. After an update last August, the driver side B pillar camera quit working. The service department advice was to reschedule my driving to go North in the morning and South in the afternoon - or - wait for a cloudy day. . . . . . . .

Reactions: RenMan68
There was also some odd behavior with regen braking where it was significantly less pull than normal. Just want to know if anything changed or if I need to look into operator error issues.
I've learned watching Scan my Tesla's reported value for max regen during the last few weeks that available regen moves around a lot for my conditions. State of Charge seems less important than I'd have expected, battery temperature matters, and recent power flow in both directions matters a whole lot.

In particular, going down a few miles of a gentle hill which just barely results in net regen progressively lowers my available max regen power by something like a factor of 4. Of course if your complaint is that the car is not using the regen available to it, that is a different matter.

Try some basic maintenance and troubleshooting:

1. Reinstall the firmware from service mode (or open a service ticket asking them to do it if you are apprehensive doing it yourself)
2. Wash the car and dry thoroughly
3. Recalibrate your cameras
4. Set up various ADAS settings after recalibration (which disables many of them)
5. Reboot the car after finishing these steps

It's also important to make sure your GPS is accurate. If it's off even a little, you'll have poor ADAS functions. Open a service ticket if your GPS is inaccurate.

Try some basic maintenance and troubleshooting:

1. Reinstall the firmware from service mode (or open a service ticket asking them to do it if you are apprehensive doing it yourself)
2. Wash the car and dry thoroughly
3. Recalibrate your cameras
4. Set up various ADAS settings after recalibration (which disables many of them)
5. Reboot the car after finishing these steps

It's also important to make sure your GPS is accurate. If it's off even a little, you'll have poor ADAS functions. Open a service ticket if your GPS is inaccurate.

I'm going to try some of these today.

Wehn I first got my Model 3 in January, AP was terrible, but it quickly improved, so I thought it was a normal process of the system learning how I drove and trying to mimic it. I know, wishful thinking. lol

Then I went to Denver in March and rented a Model 3, which was driving like a 12 yr old, especially in curves, where it would turn in late and contantly drive close to the outside of the lane, instead of staying in the middle or, even better, looking for the tangent.

In the past month, my car started showing the same behavior, which I thought it was due to the latest two updates. At one point I though I was going to hit the median if I hadn't intervened, which never happened before.

I'll post results after I do these steps.

Reactions: Patrick66 and Dewg