TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has Jony Ive jumped the shark?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by anticitizen13.7, May 26, 2015.

1. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

Apple has promoted Jony Ive to Chief Design Officer:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1886214

From what I'm reading, this means that Mr. Ive will be designing Apple Stores as well as office furniture and taking less of a role in actual product.

Apple has made some IMO questionable design choices recently (iPhones that are too thin, MacBooks that are too thin and have no ports… Jeez just give us some more battery life!!!).

Did Ive jump the shark and is this Tim Cook's way of letting him have a break from it all?

I mean seriously, Apple products are beautiful but the obsession with thinness to the point of compromising utility was, well, wearing thin.

2. liuping

liuping Active Member

Obviously everyone has different opinions, but I'm quite happy with both designs you pointed out as "questionable"

IMHO, the iPhone 6 is by far the best iPhone Apple has ever made. Hands down. Not even close. It's larger than previous modeles but fits easily in you hand, works great, feels great and looks great. Hold an iPhone 5 or 4 after using the iPhone 6 for a few days, and they feel heavy, clunky and awkward. (Sort of like driving an ICE car after driving a Tesla for a while)

The new MacBook is absolutely not "too thin". As a "take it with you" laptop, it has enough ports to get the job done. If you need more at home plug in hub and you can have as many as you need. As far as needing more battery, it has a 9 hour battery life, which it better than pretty much any laptop I've ever owned. Of course it's not for everyone, but there are MacBook Pros and Airs if you want more ports and 10+ hours of battery life...

3. LetsGoFast

LetsGoFast Active Member

I'm quite sure you will never hear me complain that a laptop is "too thin."

4. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Until you notice the blood dripping from your fingertips...

5. anticitizen13.7

anticitizen13.7 Enemy of the Status Quo

At a certain point the machine becomes too thin to easily grasp, and some early adopters on Mac Rumors complained that the rMacbook was so light that it was difficult to balance while sitting on the user's lap.

This is why I have reservations about this unending push for thin-ness. It starts looking like "thin for the sake of being thin" rather than functional & ergonomic design.