TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Has Model S quality improved?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Northern Goat, Sep 4, 2019.

1. SO16

SO16 Active Member

No

2. MichaelP90DL

MichaelP90DL Member

So far, I haven't needed a service center visit, and I sure hope service responsiveness improves by the time I do have to visit one.

• Like x 3
  3. erik_k

erik_k Member

I’ve been a member of this site for a year and a half as an aspiring Tesla owner.

I finally pushed “Buy” and will pick up my CPO/Used 2014 P85D(L?) in a week and a half. Forums like this one are useful resources for those like Petrocelli and myself that want to research before spending a large chunk of money on something. This almost 5 year old Tesla I’m buying will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased. I feel very good about the purchase decision and expect this nearly 5 year old Tesla to put my ‘17 Accord and ‘16 Expedition to shame in performance and features.

• Like x 1
  4. SO16

SO16 Active Member

I was on this site as a registered user for about a year before I purchased my vehicle. And a lurker for probably a year before that.

One thing that has changed is the number of negative posts percentage wise. Some of it warranted. But not all....

• Informative x 1
  5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

90% of the negative posts would be gone if Tesla didn't have garbage customer service.

• Like x 1
  6. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

Be aware, that you car will not be a CPO in the sense that you are accustomed to. It is a "used car", and it may very well show up as a "used car" when you pick it up. Performance and features? Performance, yes. Features, no, and a laughable no at that.

• Helpful x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. Ohmie

Ohmie Member

Thanks to the OP for asking the question. I was wondering the same thing... what's behind the volume of negative posts.

I was a really early adopter of online car forums (1993) as a way to kill time while running programs remotely for grad school. I continued using them until roughly the mid 2010s. Something seems to have shifted in that time and I opted out. Giving it a go again, however, because I'm new to TSLA.

Any way. I ordered a Model S/LR two weeks ago. Hope to take delivery soon.

Also hoping that the quality and service experiences are in the ballpark. While I've had very good experiences with Porsche, I think much of that had to do with building a relationship with the dealer over time. That goes a long way toward getting high quality service.

I'm a little reluctant to lose 20 years of dealer goodwill by making the brand switch. But with a 370 mile range, free charging, and a price tag that's nearly 1/2 of the Taycan models that are currently available... it only makes sense.

8. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Negative comments on this forum come from a few different places

1. Legitimate issues
    2. Ice owner who doesnt like, jealous, scared of tesla
    3. FUD spreaders who profit off Tesla bad news
    4. Uninformed
    5. Trolls

9. Big Toys

Big Toys Member

Mostly, the cars run fine. There is a significant problem with customer service if things do not run fine. If you live nearby to a service center, communicating with a live person will be easier. Small fixes by the Ranger is convenient. Hopefully you may never need the Customer Service Treatment we discuss here.

• Like x 1
  10. Ohmie

Ohmie Member

Good to know. Fortunately they are opening a new service center a few miles from my house.

• Like x 1
  11. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

Jesus Christ, that is the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT by literally every owner, reviewer and automotive journalist, is subpar quality for Tesla vehicles costing north of $40k to start!!! Wait, so you think the interior quality of even a C-class or 3er is inferior to ANY Tesla?!
    HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  12. Mike Robinson

Mike Robinson Member

I think you're gonna LOVE the Taycan :)

• Like x 2
  13. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

LOL, just Google "tesla quality" and there are tons of links to reputable sites that prop up Tesla (Teslarati, Electrek) that agree quality is still a major issue for the price. I'm still laughing that you think Tesla has better quality than BMW and Benz, that's adorable! Then again, you are driving a 2013 Model, heck even my '09 335i cabrio has better materials/fit and finish!

Attached Files:

• Funny x 1
  14. BulldogsRus

BulldogsRus Member

Look I LOVE Tesla as a company and their tech, but please...to state that their quality is "better" than BMW and Benz is odd at best, disingenuous at worst.

• Funny x 1
  15. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

Looks like my driver's side folding mirror is starting to fail at folding.

Too bad I cant even schedule an appointment since they took that away about a month ago.

• Like x 1
  16. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

@BulldogsRus

Lol......point was that even bmw or Mercedes or whatever so called luxury car you drive can and does have issues....Sheesh how about acknowledging that instead of just trying to paint Tesla as the only manufacturer with build and quality issues.

• Like x 1
  17. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Yup...must be true if it's on the interwebz

18. Petrocelli

Petrocelli Member

Mercedes does not have build issues similar to those reported by Tesla owners on this forum.

• Like x 1
  19. PWlakewood

PWlakewood Member

Who said they did? Do they have issues though? Yes

20. TrevTremaine

TrevTremaine Member

No, you're right. They have dieselgate and recalls (e.g.. Steering rack recall of the C series, for loose batteries, for wire harnesses - all 2019 recalls).

I won't even start with the litany of problems with BMWs.

I'll agree Tesla needs to up their standards with the interior, which they've done incrementally over the years, but it could still be better. Panel/door alignment could be better. I wonder if it's due to the attempt to get vehicles delivered ASAP or whether it's production issues (especially toward quarter-ends). I'd like to see monthly stats to see if there's any improvements either. Service could be a bit better too, especially when it comes to customer service. I'll give Tesla a bit more of a break than those companies that have been around for so long as I think they are trying to move in the right direction.

And, yes, I still think Mercedes is amongst the best built. BMW - not so much.