Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Model S quality improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'll be honest with you, I've been to a Tesla dealer/SC three times and when I asked about demo or pre-owned they stated they'd call me as they can see more than is listed online (which I knew, hence my inquiry).

...I never got a call back, even after going in the 2nd and 3rd time stating this and apologized to and promised a follow-up call. For a company struggling to stay afloat and not even being bothered to sell me a $90k+ car, I can only expect service to get worse once I have an actual complaint with the car.
So far, I haven't needed a service center visit, and I sure hope service responsiveness improves by the time I do have to visit one.

I'm going to get an EV for my next car (in 3 years or less). I never paid much attention to them until about a month ago. I am posting and/or reading on a lot of EV forums, even though I own an ICE vehicle.
I’ve been a member of this site for a year and a half as an aspiring Tesla owner.

I finally pushed “Buy” and will pick up my CPO/Used 2014 P85D(L?) in a week and a half. Forums like this one are useful resources for those like Petrocelli and myself that want to research before spending a large chunk of money on something. This almost 5 year old Tesla I’m buying will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased. I feel very good about the purchase decision and expect this nearly 5 year old Tesla to put my ‘17 Accord and ‘16 Expedition to shame in performance and features.

Reactions: Petrocelli
I’ve been a member of this site for a year and a half as an aspiring Tesla owner.

I finally pushed “Buy” and will pick up my CPO/Used 2014 P85D(L?) in a week and a half. Forums like this one are useful resources for those like Petrocelli and myself that want to research before spending a large chunk of money on something. This almost 5 year old Tesla I’m buying will be the most expensive vehicle I have ever purchased. I feel very good about the purchase decision and expect this nearly 5 year old Tesla to put my ‘17 Accord and ‘16 Expedition to shame in performance and features.

I was on this site as a registered user for about a year before I purchased my vehicle. And a lurker for probably a year before that.

One thing that has changed is the number of negative posts percentage wise. Some of it warranted. But not all....

• Informative
Reactions: Petrocelli

Be aware, that you car will not be a CPO in the sense that you are accustomed to. It is a "used car", and it may very well show up as a "used car" when you pick it up. Performance and features? Performance, yes. Features, no, and a laughable no at that.

Thanks to the OP for asking the question. I was wondering the same thing... what's behind the volume of negative posts.

I was a really early adopter of online car forums (1993) as a way to kill time while running programs remotely for grad school. I continued using them until roughly the mid 2010s. Something seems to have shifted in that time and I opted out. Giving it a go again, however, because I'm new to TSLA.

Any way. I ordered a Model S/LR two weeks ago. Hope to take delivery soon.

Also hoping that the quality and service experiences are in the ballpark. While I've had very good experiences with Porsche, I think much of that had to do with building a relationship with the dealer over time. That goes a long way toward getting high quality service.

I'm a little reluctant to lose 20 years of dealer goodwill by making the brand switch. But with a 370 mile range, free charging, and a price tag that's nearly 1/2 of the Taycan models that are currently available... it only makes sense.

Thanks to the OP for asking the question. I was wondering the same thing... what's behind the volume of negative posts.

I was a really early adopter of online car forums (1993) as a way to kill time while running programs remotely for grad school. I continued using them until roughly the mid 2010s. Something seems to have shifted in that time and I opted out. Giving it a go again, however, because I'm new to TSLA.

Any way. I ordered a Model S/LR two weeks ago. Hope to take delivery soon.

Also hoping that the quality and service experiences are in the ballpark. While I've had very good experiences with Porsche, I think much of that had to do with building a relationship with the dealer over time. That goes a long way toward getting high quality service.

I'm a little reluctant to lose 20 years of dealer goodwill by making the brand switch. But with a 370 mile range, free charging, and a price tag that's nearly 1/2 of the Taycan models that are currently available... it only makes sense.

Mostly, the cars run fine. There is a significant problem with customer service if things do not run fine. If you live nearby to a service center, communicating with a live person will be easier. Small fixes by the Ranger is convenient. Hopefully you may never need the Customer Service Treatment we discuss here.

Reactions: Ohmie
Mostly, the cars run fine. There is a significant problem with customer service if things do not run fine. If you live nearby to a service center, communicating with a live person will be easier. Small fixes by the Ranger is convenient. Hopefully you may never need the Customer Service Treatment we discuss here.

Good to know. Fortunately they are opening a new service center a few miles from my house.

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
Well you should start by opening yours......care to go down to your nearest bmw dealership and check out the quality for everyone here? I'm gonna bet you wont because you will be proved wrong.
Jesus Christ, that is the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT by literally every owner, reviewer and automotive journalist, is subpar quality for Tesla vehicles costing north of $40k to start!!! Wait, so you think the interior quality of even a C-class or 3er is inferior to ANY Tesla?!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Attachments

• 2019-bmw-3-series-46.jpg
    2019-bmw-3-series-46.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 93
  • mercedes-benz-c-class-dashboard-view-188930.jpg
    mercedes-benz-c-class-dashboard-view-188930.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 49
Jesus Christ, that is the NUMBER ONE COMPLAINT by literally every owner, reviewer and automotive journalist, is subpar quality for Tesla vehicles costing north of $40k to start!!! Wait, so you think the interior quality of even a C-class or 3er is inferior to ANY Tesla?!
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

I think you're gonna LOVE the Taycan :)

Negative comments on this forum come from a few different places

1. Legitimate issues
2. Ice owner who doesnt like, jealous, scared of tesla
3. FUD spreaders who profit off Tesla bad news
4. Uninformed
5. Trolls

LOL, just Google "tesla quality" and there are tons of links to reputable sites that prop up Tesla (Teslarati, Electrek) that agree quality is still a major issue for the price. I'm still laughing that you think Tesla has better quality than BMW and Benz, that's adorable! Then again, you are driving a 2013 Model, heck even my '09 335i cabrio has better materials/fit and finish!

Attachments

• 2009-bmw-3-series-coupe-convertible-25.jpg
    2009-bmw-3-series-coupe-convertible-25.jpg
    465.5 KB · Views: 48
  • Funny
Reactions: PWlakewood
LOL, just Google "tesla quality" and there are tons of links to reputable sites that prop up Tesla (Teslarati, Electrek) that agree quality is still a major issue for the price. I'm still laughing that you think Tesla has better quality than BMW and Benz, that's adorable! Then again, you are driving a 2013 Model, heck even my '09 335i cabrio has better materials/fit and finish!
Yup...must be true if it's on the interwebz

@BulldogsRus

Lol......point was that even bmw or Mercedes or whatever so called luxury car you drive can and does have issues....Sheesh how about acknowledging that instead of just trying to paint Tesla as the only manufacturer with build and quality issues.

Mercedes does not have build issues similar to those reported by Tesla owners on this forum.

Reactions: BulldogsRus
Mercedes does not have build issues similar to those reported by Tesla owners on this forum.

No, you're right. They have dieselgate and recalls (e.g.. Steering rack recall of the C series, for loose batteries, for wire harnesses - all 2019 recalls).

I won't even start with the litany of problems with BMWs.

I'll agree Tesla needs to up their standards with the interior, which they've done incrementally over the years, but it could still be better. Panel/door alignment could be better. I wonder if it's due to the attempt to get vehicles delivered ASAP or whether it's production issues (especially toward quarter-ends). I'd like to see monthly stats to see if there's any improvements either. Service could be a bit better too, especially when it comes to customer service. I'll give Tesla a bit more of a break than those companies that have been around for so long as I think they are trying to move in the right direction.

And, yes, I still think Mercedes is amongst the best built. BMW - not so much.