Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Model S quality improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Look I LOVE Tesla as a company and their tech, but please...to state that their quality is "better" than BMW and Benz is odd at best, disingenuous at worst.

I LOVE my Tesla MS 100D, but clearly the fit/finish is not as high as Porsche or Lexus (not familiar with BMW). I knew that going in and doesn’t bother me in the least. What I’m not going to do is go onto a Porsche blog and call out all the ways Tesla is superior or Porsche is inferior. I just don’t get it.

• Disagree
Reactions: bhzmark and ccdisce
@BulldogsRus

Lol......point was that even bmw or Mercedes or whatever so called luxury car you drive can and does have issues....Sheesh how about acknowledging that instead of just trying to paint Tesla as the only manufacturer with build and quality issues.
Because BMW and Benz don't have horrible customer service, lack of parts or repair delays to the extent Tesla does. You NEVER call either company and have trouble getting in touch with someone, get the run around at delivery or have constant complaints about quality issues straight off the production line.

I LOVE my Tesla MS 100D, but clearly the fit/finish is not as high as Porsche or Lexus (not familiar with BMW). I knew that going in and doesn’t bother me in the least. What I’m not going to do is go onto a Porsche blog and call out all the ways Tesla is superior or Porsche is inferior. I just don’t get it.
I joined this blog to get info as I was in the market for a Tesla and wanted to do as much research as possible. To imply that complaints and issues are only found on forums is incorrect, there are tons of news articles, customer surveys and Youtube videos that correlate this. Me agreeing with those having these same issues in no way is the same as randomly joining here just to call out Tesla.

Reactions: am_dmd
Because BMW and Benz don't have horrible customer service, lack of parts or repair delays to the extent Tesla does. You NEVER call either company and have trouble getting in touch with someone, get the run around at delivery or have constant complaints about quality issues straight off the production line.

Sorry Bulldog, but I disagree. BMW, for example, has taken weeks into months getting parts at times. Orange peel paint jobs, delays in delivery because they prioritize European deliveries - my 5 series Touring took just shy of 6 months to get delivered. It was also in every 6 months for repairs (not including maintenance) and they didn't consider it a lemon. Simple repairs weren't done properly on my 3 series (gas cap cover release switch), window lifts. I've been in dealerships listening to other owners having similar issues.

• Disagree
  • Informative
Reactions: thesteve and vexige
Yes...if the very media companies that both fawn over them and report on them daily do, there is no reason otherwise to not believe them. Do you think the reports of poor quality and customer service are an exception to the rule??
Lol, ok you win......if it's on the interwebz it is in fact 100% true no need to look elsewhere or do any other research or use your own personal experience or conversations with actual tesla owners....pointless :confused::rolleyes:o_O

Sorry Bulldog, but I disagree. BMW, for example, has taken weeks into months getting parts at times. Orange peel paint jobs, delays in delivery because they prioritize European deliveries - my 5 series Touring took just shy of 6 months to get delivered. It was also in every 6 months for repairs (not including maintenance) and they didn't consider it a lemon. Simple repairs weren't done properly on my 3 series (gas cap cover release switch), window lifts. I've been in dealerships listening to other owners having similar issues.
Impossible.....cant be....only Tesla has issues :rolleyes:

I joined this blog to get info as I was in the market for a Tesla and wanted to do as much research as possible. To imply that complaints and issues are only found on forums is incorrect, there are tons of news articles, customer surveys and Youtube videos that correlate this. Me agreeing with those having these same issues in no way is the same as randomly joining here just to call out Tesla.
How about you go talk to actual owners in person? Local supercharger is a great place for real world non interwebz opinions.

So have you made your decision yet?

You state “was in the market”.

Reactions: PWlakewood
Impossible.....cant be....only Tesla has issues :rolleyes:

To be fair, though, I think that Tesla does have issues. Have things improved? I believe yes BUT it still has room for improvement. I think the quarter-end rushes need to stop, and to just be consistent in production. Most likely (since I'm not an insider) I would think that quality controls need to be improved at the factory if Tesla wants to give owners better experiences at time of delivery. I also think Tesla needs to look closer at how much time/effort needs to be allocated for preparation for delivery. Tesla is still a new(ish) company so a bit more leniency can be given, but then again, if it wants to compete on the same level as Mercedes and Lexus, it has to up it's game. Time will tell.

To be fair, though, I think that Tesla does have issues. Have things improved? I believe yes BUT it still has room for improvement. I think the quarter-end rushes need to stop, and to just be consistent in production. Most likely (since I'm not an insider) I would think that quality controls need to be improved at the factory if Tesla wants to give owners better experiences at time of delivery. I also think Tesla needs to look closer at how much time/effort needs to be allocated for preparation for delivery. Tesla is still a new(ish) company so a bit more leniency can be given, but then again, if it wants to compete on the same level as Mercedes and Lexus, it has to up it's game. Time will tell.
Completely agree that tesla does indeed have issues...my main point is and will continue to be that ALL manufacturers have issues so to come on here or any other forum for that matter and say that a certain car brand has issues and to be blind to the other brands issues is lame.

I've been a member of a lot of auto forums for 20+ years and owners always complain about the issues with the car or service... Negative feedback prevails positive on any forum.
But I have never seen that many different threads about the quality and especially lack of communication.
I can not imagine calling any auto dealer and not getting a response or not even being able to get through... Tesla is simply pushing away their customers, current and prospective, imo
Every financial report I read recently is pessimistic about the future of the company.

• Helpful
Reactions: Sean Wagner
I've been a member of a lot of auto forums for 20+ years and owners always complain about the issues with the car or service... Negative feedback prevails positive on any forum.
But I have never seen that many different threads about the quality and especially lack of communication.
I can not imagine calling any auto dealer and not getting a response or not even being able to get through... Tesla is simply pushing away their customers, current and prospective, imo
Every financial report I read recently is pessimistic about the future of the company.
Tesla is not like all other manufacturers. They are the first to do it this way and They don't have dealerships and they seem to want all communication done via the app. People just cant handle change.

And yet, you bought one . . . .

Tesla is not like all other manufacturers. They are the first to do it this way and They don't have dealerships and they seem to want all communication done via the app. People just cant handle change.

The younger generation on average is probably more acceptable of the Tesla method than what the older generation is. Many older people still like to have the “human contact”. I wish Tesla still had the phone call method in conjunction with the app method. But if I had to choose, I’d take what the future generations want over the past generations. (IE app.)

Reactions: BulldogsRus
The Model S is totally unimpressive compared with the Model 3 in terms of design and build quality. For example, the Model S still uses the same tail lights w/ discreet LEDs from 2013 versus the modern LED light pipes in the Model X and Model 3. Model S has the worst headlights of all three cars, rated "poor" after extensive IIHS testing. I recently test drove a Model S P100D, the steering rack vibrated tremendously with the A/C running. This is a vehicle Tesla uses to sell customers on the brand and in 5 minutes I could tell it was subpar compared to almost any other manufactured vehicle.

Tesla's priorities are screwed up, in my opinion. They are more focused on video streaming and in-car game play than they are with things that matter to the majority of consumers. You know, little things like a steering rack that doesn't shake. I was all in on Tesla 6 years ago, a few years before Elon Musk completely lost his mind. Service quality has declined substantially since the early days to the point where Tesla is denying legitimate warranty items and forcing owners to go to arbitration or file lawsuits.

If I were in the market for an EV and had north of $80,000 to spend, I would certainly wait for the Mercedes EQC. My next EV will very likely not be a Tesla, and this coming from one of their biggest fanboys a few years ago. Tesla suffers from extremely poor corporate leadership resulting in poor execution across the board.

The Model S is totally unimpressive compared with the Model 3 in terms of design and build quality. For example, the Model S still uses the same tail lights w/ discreet LEDs from 2013 versus the modern LED light pipes in the Model X and Model 3. Model S has the worst headlights of all three cars, rated "poor" after extensive IIHS testing. I recently test drove a Model S P100D, the steering rack vibrated tremendously with the A/C running. This is a vehicle Tesla uses to sell customers on the brand and in 5 minutes I could tell it was subpar compared to almost any other manufactured vehicle.

Tesla's priorities are screwed up, in my opinion. They are more focused on video streaming and in-car game play than they are with things that matter to the majority of consumers. You know, little things like a steering rack that doesn't shake. I was all in on Tesla 6 years ago, a few years before Elon Musk completely lost his mind. Service quality has declined substantially since the early days to the point where Tesla is denying legitimate warranty items and forcing owners to go to arbitration or file lawsuits.

If I were in the market for an EV and had north of $80,000 to spend, I would certainly wait for the Mercedes EQC. My next EV will very likely not be a Tesla, and this coming from one of their biggest fanboys a few years ago. Tesla suffers from extremely poor corporate leadership resulting in poor execution across the board.
So you sat in and drove 1 tesla? Cool! Have fun with your Mercedes EV, that is if you consider slower being fun.

In all seriousness though. You formed your opinion from one car? Did it ever occur to you the reason you may have noticed the ac vibration is because there is no vibration from an engine? Was the one you sat in a new raven build?