Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Model S quality improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because it is an entirely new technology, do you think if they sold ICE cars with the rampant issues (YES, there aren't a few but TONS of supported articles, reviews and owner complaints!) listed here they would be selling these cars at these prices?!

Nope.

I don’t know about that. These “tons” of issues seems to be overblown in many cases and the media is seizing upon every single FART that Elon or Tesla does. There is a sh!tload of disruption going on here and MANY companies do NOT like it. So you can bet your butt that any and every little hiccup is going to be amplified just to help discourage sales. Are there some disgruntled buyers? Yup! But by and large, many love the product and company.

Look at Model S/X sales—they've done a deep dive off a cliff to a point where Musk said Tesla will not be spending many resources on that line moving forward. This doesn't happen in a vacuum.

There are over 1,500 owners in my group so I am familiar with most of the issues. I hear about them all the time. Owning a Tesla is like suffering death by a thousand cuts. It's not about the one thing. It's about the 25 different things that add up to a lousy experience. Especially now that service quality has declined to below sea level. Since John McNeil's departure and Musk's takeover of service, we have seen nothing but precipitous declines in customer service and outright warranty denials for legitimate service issues forcing owners to go to arbitration or file lawsuits.

Back on topic... No, based on my first hand experience and that of many others who have shared with me, Model S quality has not improved materially in the areas that matter most to consumers: Initial quality, fit and finish, and reliability.

X and S have rebounded some. And they literally just sent a new 3 motor version S to the track.

I guess I don’t understand the “long in the tooth” argument. Everyone that gets into my Model S says it’s like a spaceship. When I look at other cars at car shows, the new models even seem antiquated. But to each their own. I can see possibly not upgrading to a newer model S from a Model S you might already own for that reason. But if new to a Tesla, then I don’t get the comment. It’s so different than anything else.
What I mean is that cosmetically very little has changed in both vehicles, and I understand why but for example both the X and 3 have the newer type taillights, and yet somehow Tesla can't figure out a way to upgrade them almost 7 years later but instead only the front fascia. Instead they've CUT corners on the S by removing the sunroof, jump seats, leather option, etc. Again I understand the why, but I just can't get my head around spending $100k for something that 7 years later isn't all that different. That's just me.

What I mean is that cosmetically very little has changed in both vehicles, and I understand why but for example both the X and 3 have the newer type taillights, and yet somehow Tesla can't figure out a way to upgrade them almost 7 years later but instead only the front fascia. Instead they've CUT corners on the S by removing the sunroof, jump seats, leather option, etc. Again I understand the why, but I just can't get my head around spending $100k for something that 7 years later isn't all that different. That's just me.

Unless someone is coming from an S/X, the whole thing is still new to them. I wish they still had the sunroof. I have it in mine. I do think they should add features, not take them away. I am less apt to upgrade to a new S because of this.

I don’t know about that. These “tons” of issues seems to be overblown in many cases and the media is seizing upon every single FART that Elon or Tesla does. There is a sh!tload of disruption going on here and MANY companies do NOT like it. So you can bet your butt that any and every little hiccup is going to be amplified just to help discourage sales. Are there some disgruntled buyers? Yup! But by and large, many love the product and company.
Couldnt agree more.

Lol. Ok sure you hate tesla we all get it. You win! Point proven. Your experience and expectations are what everyone should expect. I concede. Were all suckers for buying tesla vehicles. Shame on us.

You can type what you want and call people names all you want but the fact remains tesla is still around, still selling cars, still stealing customers from all the inferior competition and they will continue to do it and you can whine and stomp your feet even louder and it wont stop tesla.

Good luck with your perfect, flawless, issueless, slower, less rangier, whatever it is you get. :rolleyes:
Tesla is struggling to stay afloat, WTF are you talking about?? The Y is literally their make or break model because they can't even afford to update their first 2 cars! Every step they've taken the past few years was to save money or cut corners, Roadster fans don't even have an idea of when they'll ever see their vehicles, and the Semi?? Tesla isn't even remotely doing well, the ONLY advantage they currently hold is ICE manufacturers being late to the game, and there is tons of stuff now in the pipeline arriving within two years. Obviously you feel safe in predicting they will be profitable this quarter?

Reactions: AmpedRealtor
I diagree about the "disruption going on here and MANY companies do NOT like it", because almost every manufacturer has an EV planned, along with infrastructure with a lot planned by 2021. Tesla has serious financial issues so I find it hard to believe that there is industry envy, because competing charging networks are expanding, ranges are starting to become competitive and in a few cases the build quality has already surpassed them (Audi, Porsche and Jag).

I think we will be pleasantly surprised how well those new “plaid” versions sell. Time will tell.
I'm not sure, it's being used to supplant a model of Porsche that many here stated costs too much to make a difference, and Performance models aren't all that common out on the road here in New England. If they can get it to around $120k then I'd completely agree.

Tesla is struggling to stay afloat, WTF are you talking about?? The Y is literally their make or break model because they can't even afford to update their first 2 cars! Every step they've taken the past few years was to save money or cut corners, Roadster fans don't even have an idea of when they'll ever see their vehicles, and the Semi?? Tesla isn't even remotely doing well, the ONLY advantage they currently hold is ICE manufacturers being late to the game, and there is tons of stuff now in the pipeline arriving within two years. Obviously you feel safe in predicting they will be profitable this quarter?
See what had happened waz......tesla will fail, tesla will die, Tesla will fall apart, tesla will go bankrupt, Tesla will (fill in the blank with whatever statement or falisicy you feel that you need to justify your comments to follow)

I never said that Tesla would be profitable but I will say tesla is still the leader in every other aspect for an ev manufacturer.

I diagree about the "disruption going on here and MANY companies do NOT like it", because almost every manufacturer has an EV planned, along with infrastructure with a lot planned by 2021. Tesla has serious financial issues so I find it hard to believe that there is industry envy, because competing charging networks are expanding, ranges are starting to become competitive and in a few cases the build quality has already surpassed them (Audi, Porsche and Jag).

Lots of good information in this video so just humor us and watch it

Mic drop moment......

The other companies with EVs planned had no choice. Many are also just compliance cars which don’t even meet the specs of a 7 year old Tesla. Governments are forcing their hand in many cases. The other charging network like electrify America was done in response to a massive lawsuit.

Tesla does NOT have serious financial issues. They have over 5 BILLION in the bank, cash flow positive and expanding like crazy. This bankrupt Tesla narrative is just absurd and tired.

Build quality in Porsche and Audi, perhaps. Jag? No. I have been in Audi etron (good) and Jag ipace. Not good.

See what had happened waz......tesla will fail, tesla will die, Tesla will fall apart, tesla will go bankrupt, Tesla will (fill in the blank with whatever statement or falisicy you feel that you need to justify your comments to follow)

I never said that Tesla would be profitable but I will say tesla is still the leader in every other aspect for an ev manufacturer.
"at the moment" and ONLY because ICE manufacturers let them be the guinea pigs for the technology. But sure, all of the cost-cutting, subpar materials, poor customer service and support, no refreshes, no new model concrete announcements...Tesla is doing fantastic financially, LOL!!!

Lots of good information in this video so just humor us and watch it

Mic drop moment......
Who's "us"? You have a mouse in your pocket? Last I checked, you owned a car from a company that continues to have growing pains, no long-term future and is seeing a market that is now responding and will most likely surpass them fairly soon. What are you going to do then? Because it isn't a matter of if, but when.

The only reason to be profitable is to appease wall street. I like that they are expanding like mad. I’d love it if they were private and just ignore this narrative that they MUST be profitable. As long as they can get investors and expand, then great! Once thy no longer can expand, only THEN work on profits.

Reminds me of the constant rants about Amazon not being profitable. All the talking head moron analysts on there going on and on about not being profitable. Now they are salivating when Amazon is crushing the competition because they went without profits in order to expand. Good grief....people are so dang short sighted its disgusting.

As far as late Roadster and semi, no surprise. But at least they have working versions of it.

Who's "us"? You have a mouse in your pocket? Last I checked, you owned a car from a company that continues to have growing pains, no long-term future and is seeing a market that is now responding and will most likely surpass them fairly soon. What are you going to do then? Because it isn't a matter of if, but when.

No long term future?

Good grief.

Let us not forget how Tesla isnt allowed to have dealerships.....why you ask? Well just ask all the other oem they blocked them. Sure their not scared or worried about Tesla and what they will do to their bottom lines.:rolleyes:

I literally live in a state (Michigan) who is using protectionism and then on the other side of their mouth, praise free market. Disgusting.

"at the moment" and ONLY because ICE manufacturers let them be the guinea pigs for the technology. But sure, all of the cost-cutting, subpar materials, poor customer service and support, no refreshes, no new model concrete announcements...Tesla is doing fantastic financially, LOL!!!
Sounds good.....where are all the companies who said Tesla couldn't, wouldn't, shouldn't, can't, wont.........oh yeah that's right there still making ice cars and a few ev hear and there which dont even stack up to a 7 year old model s in almost every way.

Care to show us the tesla financial info that you seem to know all so well?