Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Model S quality improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I went to the SC recently to get a door handle fixed, I got a new-ish 2018 loaner, and as I went to close the door, the entire door card came off from the inside.

This reminds me of a story. In 1986, my dad bought a brand new Ford Aerostar top of the line trim with the digital gauge cluster and all the bells and whistles. I loved the tech in this car but it was a complete train wreck. Within a few days of ownership, the dash lights went out and you couldn't see the display (Ford electrical quality in the 80's was HORRIBLE). Anyway, we took it to the dealer and they repaired it. When we picked up the car as we were driving off the lot, my dad hit a speed bump and the entire dashboard fell out onto his lap. Apparently their techs (term used very loosely) forgot to screw the dashboard back in.

Having driven my friend's Model 3, I am complete enamored by the Tesla and seriously considering purchasing an new Model S.

While I think the technology and ideology of Tesla is amazing, but I am really weary of making the purchase due to all the information I read about quality issues and after purchase care.

It seems like a lot of the issues are consistent year over year for any particular Model.

So my question is, are purchasers with newer models experiencing the same issues or frequency of issues as the older models? Has Tesla improved their quality? It seems odd that a company focused on constant improvement of a vehicle would continue to have issues with say door handles year after year.

I guess what I looking for is a little comfort from actual owners that I can expect some improvement in quality and not have as many headaches as early adopters.

I have 2017 model X - not a single problem - car has been perfect!

Reactions: Hugh-SG
When discussing quality, for me, I split these in 2.

The amount of repairs needed based on quality - yet to perfect their production

My experience has not been good. I have owned the car for 16 months and I have had the car in for repairs more than 10 times, this due to poor build quality, parts not holding up and design flaws. I would say I got a lemon car, so in short, my experience sucks and thus I would not recommend anyone to purchase this car. Adding the current constraint on the Service Centers, the time it takes to correct issues (2-3 months) makes this a nightmare. However, this is my experience, I have friends that have owned more than 1 Tesla, and never had any issues. So I would say, buying a Tesla is a risk, because their build quality is not consistent... Tesla is a new car company, they have achieved a lot, but they have yet to perfect their production process, at least compared to Mercedes, Audi and BMW.

On a side note, I envy my friends who have had a car without any issues, because this is a really fun and good car to drive :)

The feel, looks, sounds and choice of "fabric"

I have previously owned and Audi A5, comparing the quality feel of interior, the sound of doors closing, rubber seals around the doors/window that is there to reduce wind noise, the way the textile is fitted on the bottom of the car, the way all parts/panels are attached to the dashboard/doors, alignment of the panels around the wheels, doors, hatch and more... all of these cannot compare to the quality of a German car.
But this I would say is more of a subjective matter. I recommend you to go and have look at a model S, look at det seals around the doors and how everything is put together, I also recommend you to push and pull slightly on the panels inside the car to get the feel, then do the same with a German car.... If you don't mind this, and many don't, including me, than your fine :)

Best of luck with your choice :)

This reminds me of a story. In 1986, my dad bought a brand new Ford Aerostar top of the line trim with the digital gauge cluster and all the bells and whistles. I loved the tech in this car but it was a complete train wreck. Within a few days of ownership, the dash lights went out and you couldn't see the display (Ford electrical quality in the 80's was HORRIBLE). Anyway, we took it to the dealer and they repaired it. When we picked up the car as we were driving off the lot, my dad hit a speed bump and the entire dashboard fell out onto his lap. Apparently their techs (term used very loosely) forgot to screw the dashboard back in.

I had something similar with a 2013 Ford Explorer - only it was the wheels. They forgot to tighten down the lug nuts - they were only finger rolled on.

Reactions: AW9nineteen
Let me say I am impressed by the civil discourse in this thread. Nice to see folks expressing them selves politely.

For the gentleman making the inquiry... I recommend the following...

Go to You Tube....

search for Tesla Crash Test videos... (the roll over test on the Model-X blew me away)....

search for Tesla Auto Pilot Saves....

search for Munro and Associates (Bloomberg Technology story).. and discover how over built (ie strong) these automobiles are)

then search for Barcelona Highway Tunnel Tesla Crash
....(an oncoming car crossed the center line and rammed a Tesla Model-S at 100kph, and the Tesla owner got out unscatched a few seconds later and walked over to the car that hit him about and called an ambulance for that fellow)(who died on route to hospital)

Then ask your self.... will this car protect me and those I love if something bad happens...?

As a result of the above research and a lot of weighing up Pro versus Con in here and elsewhere..

... I clicked Buy for a Certified Pre Owned Model-X and walked away from a 31 year relationship with my 88 4-Runner. (it nows cries itself to sleep on the street, having been evicted from the garage)...

Food for thought, time for you to make an informed decision.

Best wishes, Hugh-SG

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar dealers are all successful in business because of their SERVICE CENTERS. They sell cars at virtually no profit because they make their money on continued service. That's the model they work to perfect. Why is this possible? Because all of those cars break down at some point. Meaning, no car is perfect. They all break. Tesla, has far fewer parts to break. Sure, there will always be something that breaks. Best I can tell, nobody has built the perfect car that NEVER breaks. Tesla's are generally easier to repair. Tesla is in business to sell cars, not to make a profit on service centers. So that should tell you something. Tesla's are not "luxury" cars, but the Model S is a good quality car. That's not to say nothing will ever break on it, but I've had several Teslas. At least half of them have never seen a Tesla service center after three years (because they've had no problems to address. The others, mostly were just for small things.

Just like all cars, they're under warranty for 4 years, so any issues are covered by Tesla. If you end up with one of the rare cars that has a lot of issues, then that's one that you'd be better off selling at the end of the warranty. Otherwise, probably good to go for years to come.

• Love
Reactions: AW9nineteen
... I clicked Buy for a Certified Pre Owned Model-X and walked away from a 31 year relationship with my 88 4-Runner.

Jumping from a 31 year old car to a Model X is indeed a big step and I'm sure I can't even imagine how impressive the Model X must be compared to the 4-Runner.

The only downside here is that you're not seeing all the features and perks which are missing from Tesla and are present in most modern mid/high end ICE cars. Not one thing in particular, it's the sum of all the small quality of life features and safety technology perks missing from Tesla which can end up being deal-breakers for some.

Mercedes, BMW, Audi, Porsche, Jaguar dealers are all successful in business because of their SERVICE CENTERS. They sell cars at virtually no profit because they make their money on continued service. That's the model they work to perfect. Why is this possible? Because all of those cars break down at some point. Meaning, no car is perfect. They all break. Tesla, has far fewer parts to break. Sure, there will always be something that breaks. Best I can tell, nobody has built the perfect car that NEVER breaks. Tesla's are generally easier to repair. Tesla is in business to sell cars, not to make a profit on service centers. So that should tell you something. Tesla's are not "luxury" cars, but the Model S is a good quality car. That's not to say nothing will ever break on it, but I've had several Teslas. At least half of them have never seen a Tesla service center after three years (because they've had no problems to address. The others, mostly were just for small things.

Just like all cars, they're under warranty for 4 years, so any issues are covered by Tesla. If you end up with one of the rare cars that has a lot of issues, then that's one that you'd be better off selling at the end of the warranty. Otherwise, probably good to go for years to come.

The service centers being flooded and unable to schedule service must be fake news then.

They must all be sitting idle since these cars are so reliable...

My issues isn't so much in drivetrain reliability but in build quality overall.

Things like poorly positioned trim pieces and clips that are coming apart, broken door handles, etc... Some parts of the car are just poorly designed and built. Door handles, headlights, and the MCU screens are the most obvious ones. If you have a MS on which all three of those are flawless then you don't need to buy a lottery ticket since you've already used up all your luck.

I haven't owned a car with drivetrain issues in the last decade, so I can't relate to this mythical intrinsic unreliability of ICE engines.

Having driven my friend's Model 3, I am complete enamored by the Tesla and seriously considering purchasing an new Model S.

While I think the technology and ideology of Tesla is amazing, but I am really weary of making the purchase due to all the information I read about quality issues and after purchase care.

It seems like a lot of the issues are consistent year over year for any particular Model.

So my question is, are purchasers with newer models experiencing the same issues or frequency of issues as the older models? Has Tesla improved their quality? It seems odd that a company focused on constant improvement of a vehicle would continue to have issues with say door handles year after year.

I guess what I looking for is a little comfort from actual owners that I can expect some improvement in quality and not have as many headaches as early adopters.

I have a 2014 and 2015. 200,000 miles between them and virtually ZERO problems. Keep in mind you here of problems, but not the success stories. They are less sexy to report.

I had an Audi A8L and most recently almost purchased an A6, Love Audi (minus their dishonesty). My A8 was in the shop for rattles, on a 100k car. Outside of that it was mostly software bugs. My friend had an X5 and said it was in for maintenance a lot. Those things add up. It’s a fact that the German cars are much more refine. That’s just the way it is. But like another poster said, most car companies sell their cars at a break even or even a loss. They rely on service, and the dealers rely on service and used. VERY WEIRD business model. Tesla sells at a profit and some of it is because of the finishing. That said, my car looks awesome. I can see cheap sealing for sure, but after have an Audi, XC90 Hybrid, I’m not really bothered. Because it’s not about the lack of minor quality, it’s about what you’re getting. In 8 days I’ve driven 1300 miles and tomorrow will put on another 200, however I’ve only full charged at home once. Like most things, circumstance matters. My business has a supercharging station in the garage and I can charge for free whenever. Also, I had to change my A8 brake rotors and they told me it was 1700 for the fronts. No sir. Most recently came up on 60k miles on the Volvo and they wanted $650. I told them to keep it.

Point is, think about what you’re gaining, which is a ton. Over time it will only increase in the money saved. So if I don’t have dual pane windows (which makes my eyes water a little), I get over it. I choose to look at my glass as half full. I’m gaining more than losing.