Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has non-Tesla charging at Superchargers officially started in the US?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my son sent me this photo of a non-Tesla charging at the Knoxville, TN and last I payed attention to the matter, this was only happening overseas mainly in the Netherlands. I just did a quick 10 minute Google search and didn't really see any articles about the pilot program actually open in the states. Below are some of the links I found including Elon saying it is going to happen but nothing I found that said certain cities have started. Just curious.

ELON MUSK IS OPENING UP THE TESLA SUPERCHARGER NETWORK.

Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot

Forbes: Tesla Superchargers Can Now Be Used By Other Electric Cars

messages_0.jpegmessages_0 (2).jpeg

So my son sent me this photo of a non-Tesla charging at the Knoxville, TN and last I payed attention to the matter, this was only happening overseas mainly in the Netherlands. I just did a quick 10 minute Google search and didn't really see any articles about the pilot program actually open in the states. Below are some of the links I found including Elon saying it is going to happen but nothing I found that said certain cities have started. Just curious.

ELON MUSK IS OPENING UP THE TESLA SUPERCHARGER NETWORK.

Non-Tesla Supercharger Pilot

Forbes: Tesla Superchargers Can Now Be Used By Other Electric Cars

View attachment 786539View attachment 786538
Looks like a Tesla to J1772 adapter, plugged in just for show.

The closest I've heard to a timeline for when to expect it in the US is in a White House press release. It states:
Later this year, Tesla will begin production of new Supercharger equipment that will enable non-Tesla EV drivers in North America to use Tesla Superchargers.
Some have taken this to mean that we'll see Superchargers with CCS1 plugs by the end of 2022; however, the statement only specifies that Tesla will begin producing such Superchargers by then. (In fact, it doesn't even explicitly mention CCS1, but that's the most likely interpretation.) If the first CCS1-enabled Supercharger pedestals were to roll off the assembly line on December 31, or even a while before that, then they wouldn't be installed until sometime in early 2023. There's also the possibility that this time estimate (which isn't even direct from Tesla) could be optimistic. That said, a time estimate for something like producing CCS1-enabled Supercharger equipment is less likely to be wildly inaccurate than an estimate for when driverless robotaxis will be roaming our streets. It's also possible that Tesla will start producing the hardware very soon and some will be installed sooner than we expect, but I've seen no indications that this development is imminent.

In case you didn't know, this is easier in Europe than in North America, because Europe has pushed harder and faster for standardization of charging protocols. Tesla adopted CCS2 (the CCS variant used in Europe) when it introduced the Model 3 in Europe. Most or all other automakers also use CCS2 in Europe. In North America, we're still stuck with three DC fast charging systems, although CHAdeMO has clearly lost the race here. The upshot is that Tesla's early experiments with opening Superchargers to non-Tesla vehicles are happening in Europe, since the hardware is already compatible. (Well, more or less; there are issues of cable length vs. charge-port placement.) In North America, Tesla originally said they'd produce adapters for non-Teslas, but they have shifted to saying they will produce CCS1-enabled Superchargers. Details remain murky.