Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has ride comfort / stiffness improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Currently own a 2019 Model 3 LR with the aero wheels. I love the car, but my family sitting in the rear seats, not so much...
I didn't believe my wife at first until we switched places and I sat in the back. I got migraines, nasuea and just wanted to get out of the car. And btw, neither of us drive very fast and always on chill mode. Road noise is also pretty bad.

Anyhow, I was hoping that upgrading to the model Y might help in that department, but also reading mixed opinions. Has Tesla done anything to improve the suspension on the Y? How does it compare with the 3?

VIN 88,xxx, delivered Dec. 26, 2020.

HAHA! Love to be in the driver's seat. Elsewhere in the car? Not so much. Recent 250mile Central TX cruise, lots of rough aggregate concrete/asphalt, uneven concrete seams. My wife, sitting in the RR seat, said, "Wow. If I were riding in an airplane and felt this, I'd be worried."

Waiting on coilovers, haven't decided between Unplugged Performance and MountainPass.

I think you need to get aftermarket coilovers for your model 3 vs. "upgrading" to a Y. That said - there is a LOT more legroom in the back of the Y and was the reason I purchased the Y over the 3. Back seats recline also. That said - I'm looking into coilovers in the model 3 which improves the comfort level.

Currently own a 2019 Model 3 LR with the aero wheels. I love the car, but my family sitting in the rear seats, not so much...
I didn't believe my wife at first until we switched places and I sat in the back. I got migraines, nasuea and just wanted to get out of the car. And btw, neither of us drive very fast and always on chill mode. Road noise is also pretty bad.

Anyhow, I was hoping that upgrading to the model Y might help in that department, but also reading mixed opinions. Has Tesla done anything to improve the suspension on the Y? How does it compare with the 3?
Got 2018 LR AWD Model 3 vs 2020 P Model Y. Definitely stiffer suspension on the MYP - waiting on MPP coil-overs.
My family passengers (3 young adults and wife) appreciates the reclining second row seats of the Y, not so much the hard bumpy suspension.
The LR AWD M3 suspension is more subtle than MYP. I recommend test driving the particular Model Y you are after with your passengers.

Living in NJ I am concerned with ride quality over poor pavement. When I bought my BMW 535 the first thing I did was replace the 19" wheels / run-flat tires with 18" wheels and non run flats. Made a huge improvement. I have driven the Y with the 19" stock Gemini wheels and found them to be surprisingly acceptable. During my test drives I made a point of finding rough pavement and my wife and I agreed they are fine. I think most of the negative reviews of the ride quality are from those with the 20" or 21" wheels. Before changing the suspension I would try smaller wheels and/or different tires.

Reactions: Nolakai
I have a late 2020 Model 3 and a Model Y built in March 2021 -- I don't find the ride to be different between the two. If anything, the Model Y has a smoother and quieter ride. I was worried because I have spent the last year reading about how bad and harsh the ride is in the Model Y, only to not experience that at all. Maybe they've adjusted it?

Reactions: Nolakai
The dates and styles for my 2 Tesla's are in my signature. For my models, they have a similar firm ride, but somehow the Model Y is now bouncy (which I hate) where the Model 3 was not. Also, the Model Y is definitely louder with a very Boomy base sound because of the open rear hatchback area, compared to the enclosed trunk of the Model 3. I much prefer the quieter Model 3 ride, but the space and seating comfort in the rear seats are much better in the Model Y. It all depends upon what qualities you value more.