Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla already saved lives? Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to admit it, but I'm a bad driver. Easily distracted. I purchased a CPO model S for wife. Will be interesting how it affects my driving on freeways. Will it make it safer for me or more dangerous? I'm hoping safer as long as I monitor, but not sure how often I will monitor. Constantly monitoring on a long boring stretch of straight freeway seems difficult.

If you are wondering about my driving record it is remarkably clean , owing to riding bicycle to work everyday, rain or shine.
a bad driver with a good record? thats the best of both worlds is it ?

Reactions: DanCar
Soon society will not longer view distracted driving as acceptable.

Except that it already does. Everyone knows texting and driving is wrong, just as they know DUI is wrong and just as they know excessive speed is wrong.

Like it or not, there is no utopian philosophy on irresponsibility. There is no universal standard for risk taking. People are always going to put their own interests above others and no amount of fear mongering or hard lining will change that.

Reactions: DanCar
I've had friends maimed by drunk drivers - let me just get that out of the way first.

I honestly wonder what it is about texting that has finally gotten people's attention when it comes to distracted driving. I've seen people eating, chatting (while looking at the passenger) and doing all sorts of other things (including self gratification while a Hustler magazine was open on the steering wheel) and nobody's said much.

In time, this will pass as more and more Autopilot features come into play. Nothing will stop this. It might not even be laws that are the deciding factor. My early prediction was that INSURANCE companies will drive the adoption of these technologies. They'll offer you a discount if you'll purchase software that never gets drunk, never gets distracted, never gets sleepy, never has an argument with it's wife, never gets depressed and never has a crippling health issue while driving.

I've had friends maimed by drunk drivers - let me just get that out of the way first.

I honestly wonder what it is about texting that has finally gotten people's attention when it comes to distracted driving. I've seen people eating, chatting (while looking at the passenger) and doing all sorts of other things (including self gratification while a Hustler magazine was open on the steering wheel) and nobody's said much.

In time, this will pass as more and more Autopilot features come into play. Nothing will stop this. It might not even be laws that are the deciding factor. My early prediction was that INSURANCE companies will drive the adoption of these technologies. They'll offer you a discount if you'll purchase software that never gets drunk, never gets distracted, never gets sleepy, never has an argument with it's wife, never gets depressed and never has a crippling health issue while driving.

Texting, involves:
- An activity with a relatively long duration
- Very heavy language processing
- Taking at least one hand off the wheel
- Looking at the screen instead of the road
- Typing (screen, keypad, or keyboard)
- Other person in conversation not knowing about the traffic you're dealing with
- Other person in conversation unable to provide an additional pair of eyes on the road

It's a _really_ bad combination.

Reactions: adaptabl
Texting, involves:
- An activity with a relatively long duration
- Very heavy language processing
- Taking at least one hand off the wheel
- Looking at the screen instead of the road
- Typing (screen, keypad, or keyboard)
- Other person in conversation not knowing about the traffic you're dealing with
- Other person in conversation unable to provide an additional pair of eyes on the road

It's a _really_ bad combination.

All things that will get you or someone else killed using AP and being distracted as it is now.

From what I understand, new software for the 3 is being developed to move the more common adjustments from the center screen to the stalks and steering wheel roller buttons.

Until then, drivers should place the driving function as primary and cell phones and entertainment as secondary.

Not just "Until then", please continue to make the driving function the primary thing you do at all times going forwards, regardless of what new software updates are released.

Reactions: adaptabl
No, it's not. Really really not. The Windshield wipers thing is a myth. 80% of the time the automatic work just fine. Another 15% of the time you just push the stalk once or twice. For the remaining 5% of the time, pushing the stalk changes the UI FOR you - you don't have to swipe like they make it seem in the movies - it's right there.

When you actually own a Model 3 these things are SO not a problem - in no way is it more distracting than a Model S or any other car.

Also see:
It's a good thing TMC does not design cars

If it is so simple why did it take 3+ sentences to explain how to use the wipers?
How do I use the wipers in my vehicle?

Turn knob.

Which way? And how do you customize intervals? And is auto all forward or all back? What about spray - is that a long press or a pull or a push?

Model 3: press knob. Check screen.
Check screen for what? And then do what? Ill try again.

Auto wipers are on, but turn knob to desired interval and press button for spray.

Dont check anything, dont take eyes off the road, specially in poor visibility weather conditions. This wiper feature seems to be another overengineering issue.

Check screen for what? And then do what? Ill try again.

Auto wipers are on, but turn knob to desired interval and press button for spray.

Dont check anything, dont take eyes off the road, specially in poor visibility weather conditions. This wiper feature seems to be another overengineering issue.

Seems like you’re taking longer to get used to it than most other owners.

How long have you had your Model 3?