Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla altered Hold Mode recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been using hold mode since Tesla gave it to us. Took me a while to get used to it, but I love it. I was one-pedaling like an ace until... Tesla seems to have altered how the setting behaves. I'm convinced they changed it in a subsequent update. Now it doesn't decelerate my 3 as aggressively as it used to. (I bought it June 2019.) That means it takes longer to come to a stop when I take my foot off the accelerator, especially at higher speeds. When coming to a stop sign or light, I used to be able to judge very accurately when to pull off the pedal so I could stop right on the line. This was a bit harder at higher speeds, but I learned to do it. Now the deceleration is very mushy -- takes too long to slow down and stop, which makes it harder to judge where it will stop.

Has anyone else who likes and depends on hold mode experienced this? I realize not everyone likes it -- it really is an acquired taste.

Can anyone tell me whether and when Tesla made this change? I want the old hold back! Thanks for any comments!

I've been using hold mode since Tesla gave it to us. Took me a while to get used to it, but I love it. I was one-pedaling like an ace until... Tesla seems to have altered how the setting behaves. I'm convinced they changed it in a subsequent update. Now it doesn't decelerate my 3 as aggressively as it used to. (I bought it June 2019.) That means it takes longer to come to a stop when I take my foot off the accelerator, especially at higher speeds. When coming to a stop sign or light, I used to be able to judge very accurately when to pull off the pedal so I could stop right on the line. This was a bit harder at higher speeds, but I learned to do it. Now the deceleration is very mushy -- takes too long to slow down and stop, which makes it harder to judge where it will stop.

Has anyone else who likes and depends on hold mode experienced this? I realize not everyone likes it -- it really is an acquired taste.

Can anyone tell me whether and when Tesla made this change? I want the old hold back! Thanks for any comments!
Sounds more like the regen level than hold (hold should only matter when stopped).

That's also my impression but it could be related to the battery system conditioning, it's colder outside. I'm waiting to see how it will behave when the weather will get warner. I really liked one pedal driving but it gets a little disconcerting when it does not always behave the same way....

I really liked one pedal driving but it gets a little disconcerting when it does not always behave the same way....

That's exactly the problem. You have to condition yourself to its behavior so you can accurately judge stopping times at different speeds. At first I hated hold mode because it kicked in so suddenly. Once I got used to it, I could do entire trips around town or on the highway with no breaking at all. If it's variable, it's disconcerting. Either way, I'll still use it.

I wish I could get a statement from Tesla about whether they actually altered hold mode. Did some drivers complain it was too aggressively decelerating the car? If they altered it, would they consider letting the driver set the degree?

Thanks for all comments.

OK, I'm pretty new to Teslas, got mine only a couple weeks ago, and was loving the regen hold mode braking without the brake. Then, I got the last update a few days ago, and went out for a ride. It seems like I had lost the timing or something, and I found myself using the brake. I didn't drive for several days before that, so I thought it was simply a matter of sliding back into old habits (it's my wife's car, so I don't drive every day). I've been driving ice cars a lot for over 50 years, so there's a lot of muscle memory involved, and perhaps I wasn't really paying enough attention. I'll check it out again soon and see.

I'm in the CA bay area, and park in a garage, so weather doesn't really change a lot.

Yeah, colder pack means less regen, there should be an indication of that on the power graph.
Your location says Palo Alto, so I thought temp was not going to be a major issue. Did you move in the last year?

Sorry, that was a mistake, just fixed it in my profile. I'm in NJ. Yah, it's colder here! I'll check my power graph -- thanks for the tip. I'm trying to remember when Tesla gave us hold mode. I don't recall this problem last winter.

• Helpful
Reactions: mongo
OK, I'm pretty new to Teslas, got mine only a couple weeks ago, and was loving the regen hold mode braking without the brake. Then, I got the last update a few days ago, and went out for a ride. It seems like I had lost the timing or something, and I found myself using the brake. I didn't drive for several days before that, so I thought it was simply a matter of sliding back into old habits (it's my wife's car, so I don't drive every day). I've been driving ice cars a lot for over 50 years, so there's a lot of muscle memory involved, and perhaps I wasn't really paying enough attention. I'll check it out again soon and see.

I'm in the CA bay area, and park in a garage, so weather doesn't really change a lot.

Thanks -- I'd love to know whether you experienced the same change in hold mode. Like you, I thought I'd lost the muscle memory with hold mode -- then realized it wasn't me. It's definitely different.

Is your regen limited by little dashes/dots on the power bar? If so, that is the cause of your concern. I have not noticed any change with Hold Mode unless the battery is cold and maximum regen is limited by thermals.
Thanks. I didn't understand the connection between regen and what I'm experiencing. I'll check the power bar -- I haven't been for a drive in a few days. Think I'm going to switch to another mode and see how fast the car decelerates when I let go of the pedal. If it's regen, it should be the same, right?

Just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for their input. It seems the problem is indeed the cold weather and resulting unavailability of regen. Today was cold, but I had left my 3 plugged in for a few days (because I was driving my Honda snow blower instead). Warmer (40 F) weather and regen was normal -- the "regen temp unavailable" msg never came up. And hold mode worked just like I remember it. What a difference. Thanks again for telling me what to look for.

I don't think your problem is related to Hold mode. I think it's a function of colder temperature and/or your regenerative braking.

Reactions: lUtriaNt