Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla Build quality improved on new Model 3s in 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
just got a 2020 CX-5 in the Grand Touring trim and slightly used with only 9k miles - it was less than 1/2 (!) what a new Model Y AWD costs right now (for the wife).

To be fair, you're comparing a used vehicle to a brand new one... and vehicles lose a ton of value as soon as you drive them off the lot (except Teslas lately, LOL). And you're comparing ICE with BEV, and all electric vehicles are higher priced (for now). And this particular brand new BEV is sold out 7 months in advance.

I think your exclamation point is unwarranted... it *should* be less than half the price. I hope it works out well for you, but I'd take the Model Y hands down.

Reactions: 121Gwatts
I agree with others that it's hit or miss and that your expectations largely drive your satisfaction when you receive your vehicle. Also the terms "build quality" and "fit/finish" and "issues" are all rather subjective depending on how picky you are.

My 2022 I picked up in February had a misaligned glass roof panel (replaced), protruding headlamp (fixed), protruding rear door (fixed), uneven seatbelt anchoring (not fixed) and small panel gaps that were noticeable to me, but were not addressed by the Service Center. I had super low expectations on build quality and am satisfied with the resolution and am just glad that my car functions and drives as advertised (and I'm not paying for gas anymore!).

Did the build quality bother me on delivery? No, because I set my expectations low
Am I satisfied with the addressed repairs post-delivery? Yes
Is the fit/finish worth the $50k price tag? Heck no (I've joked that it has the fit/finish of a 1997 Nissan Sentra and that it's a "high-tech vehicle" and not a "luxury vehicle" despite the price being in the "luxury vehicle" range)
Am I enjoying this vehicle? Yes
Is this my dream vehicle? Not really, but I will enjoy it while I have it

Like I said, not Telsa specific.

305605-fa69d270ad04d4bb3c50deaf0bbedc60.jpg

condensation-3-jpg.55094

K3YO3oc.jpg

You didn't watch the video either, did you?
Are you saying those are normal? Because my original statement was that excessive pools of water building up in a tail light is not normal, regardless of brand.

To be fair, you're comparing a used vehicle to a brand new one... and vehicles lose a ton of value as soon as you drive them off the lot (except Teslas lately, LOL). And you're comparing ICE with BEV, and all electric vehicles are higher priced (for now). And this particular brand new BEV is sold out 7 months in advance.

I think your exclamation point is unwarranted... it *should* be less than half the price. I hope it works out well for you, but I'd take the Model Y hands down.
a brand new CX-5 in the current premium plus trim (= Grand Touring from 2 yrs ago) is about $33k +/-. so still 1/2 of the Model Y. and yes... the Model Y should be 2x but at least match Mazda interior and fit/finish. Mercedes and BMW attempt that.

Also, as an aside, the current market is crazy and it looks like it won't cool off much in the near future. So you could still purchase and try your luck and just sell the car if it really has any issues. You will be either even or even make a profit. Carvana is currently offering me $5K more than what I paid for my M3LR in February 2022.
If the new EV tax credit goes into effect for used EVs, that should help maintain the relatively high resale value of Teslas and EVs in general into 2023.

Reactions: texas_star_TM3
Are you saying those are normal? Because my original statement was that excessive pools of water building up in a tail light is not normal, regardless of brand.
Nope. Your original statement also said "None of my previous cars ever pooled water like my Tesla did." I'm just sharing that this is not exclusively a Tesla issue. It's across the industry and if you watched the video I linked you'd understand why it happens and also why no "revision" will fix it for all examples. I've also never had condensation in taillights like I've had with my Model 3, but I'm smart enough to understand how small my sample size is and how my handful of experiences with other vehicles over the years are not representative of anything.

Nope. Your original statement also said "None of my previous cars ever pooled water like my Tesla did." I'm just sharing that this is not exclusively a Tesla issue. It's across the industry and if you watched the video I linked you'd understand why it happens and also why no "revision" will fix it for all examples. I've also never had condensation in taillights like I've had with my Model 3, but I'm smart enough to understand how small my sample size is and how my handful of experiences with other vehicles over the years are not representative of anything.

My late 2018 model 3 had the same problem on one side. Car is otherwise solid. Tesla mobile came out and changed the light assebly. There is a small diaphram inside that is supposed to control the moisture level - but it was not. My 1983 Volvo 740 had the same problem on both sides, so I drilled a few drain holes, problem solved.

My late 2018 model 3 had the same problem on one side. Car is otherwise solid. Tesla mobile came out and changed the light assebly. There is a small diaphram inside that is supposed to control the moisture level - but it was not. My 1983 Volvo 740 had the same problem on both sides, so I drilled a few drain holes, problem solved.
There is no diaphragm. There is a gore tex sticker over a vent hole on the back of the light that is supposed to evacuate moisture without letting any in. The housing on many lights has micro-cracks which lets more water in than the gore tex vent can evacuate over time.

Watch the video I linked further up in the thread for all the info.

Has it improved…. I’m sure it has since the initial Model 3. I have a late model 2021 and am now starting to notice some issues that I did not notice when I initially took delivery (I’m at 10k miles.) Most of my issues are with the interior build quality though.
Same here, same amount of miles and year of car. I just got hearing aids (wife pushed ) and now hear the rattles. I seriously doubt Tesla Service would do anything about it, and it would be a big hassle. Yeah, take the hearing aids out when driving...I know. O, the build quality was ok, gaps generally 3mm, although when I had a headlight replaced ( malfunctioned at 8 k miles) the Mobile Service guy adjusted the drivers door as much as possible. Bottom corner in almost 3/8". ( Chevy Bolt has better build quality )
Still, with all the faults I enjoy driving this car more than any other, and I have owned a lot....crazy..

There is no diaphragm. There is a gore tex sticker over a vent hole on the back of the light that is supposed to evacuate moisture without letting any in. The housing on many lights has micro-cracks which lets more water in than the gore tex vent can evacuate over time.

Watch the video I linked further up in the thread for all the info.

That sticker was termed diaphragm by the technician. Thanks

I had a 2021 M3P before I sold it and got a 2022 M3P. The build quality of the 2022 seems a little more solid. The 2021 had some minor panel gaps which I had them adjust until it led to a busted rear trunk arm that they fixed. Hulu also did not work on my 2021. When I first drove the 2022, I noticed how noisy the car was at highway speeds. Then I remembered I had put noise deadening around all the doors in the 2021. After doing that in the 2022, it's relatively quiet. Anyone who complains about a noisy Tesla can just buy a noise deadening kit from Amazon for around $35. It works well. My 2022 has a problem with the Slacker Radio not working and the clock being a few minutes off. Had to take it in to fix the problem but it seems to come back every once in a while. I just bit the bullet and use Tidal instead now. I trust this car a lot more than BMW. My last BMW had a high pressure fuel pump issue at 750, 1900, 7500, and 9000 miles all within a year a half and a total of 9 replacements altogether. I should have lemoned that car.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
IMy last BMW had a high pressure fuel pump issue at 750, 1900, 7500, and 9000 miles all within a year a half and a total of 9 replacements altogether. I should have lemoned that car.

Yeah, I know that feeling. Went through quite a number of cam followers and hpfps on the TFSI Audis I used to run. Super sensitive to oil quality and wear quickly on cars that are driven frequently over short distances.

I'm looking for a weekend toy, but everytime I look at one I get that heavy feeling of responsibilty for everything that can and will break. The best part about driving a Tesla is all the parts it doesn't have and won't break 😅

Hi Guy's,

I need to chime in on this thread. As a lot of you know, I recently over the last 7 months rejected three 2022 M3P's due to build quality. Those were SO bad that they required multiple panels to be repainted, entire glass roofs replaced, panels so out of line that there was simply not enough adjustment to get it lined up, etc...The fourth one to arrive was close enough to perfect for me to accept. Its only issues is the rear spoiler is unstuck on each end, a small spec of something under the paint on one door.

If it wasn't for the Fort Myers FL Tesla team and their amazing support and understanding I definitely would not be driving a Tesla.

I have closely looked at hundreds of Model 3's and the other Tesla models over the past 7 months and what I will undeniably say here is that NO Tesla is immune. I have yet to see a 100% flawless Tesla....ever!. Some have said it makes a difference if its an end of qtr. car that got pushed out of the factory in order to hit sales goals....NOPE. When the car was made makes NO difference, the color makes NO difference, the model makes NO difference. The only factor that makes any particular Tesla good enough to accept that isn't riddled with build quality issues is shear luck. Period.

So we took delivery of our M3LR about 72 hours ago.

YES there are tons of quality issues...do they impact driving? So far not at all. Appearance 110% yes!!!!

Exterior: Multiple holograms and paint chips. Tesla will attempt to fix.
Exterior: Charge port and rear tail light scarred with minor scratches but very visible. Tesla states they will replace.
Interior: Entire headliner misaligned and bulging areas with 3/4" gaps. Tesla will replace but it will be in September to replace roof liner/trim.
Safety: Windshield wipers are catching on the frunk hood.

Good news is that Tesla will take care of these issues. Still at 55 miles on the car and our local svc center states they will take care of this.

Hi Guy's,

I need to chime in on this thread. As a lot of you know, I recently over the last 7 months rejected three 2022 M3P's due to build quality. Those were SO bad that they required multiple panels to be repainted, entire glass roofs replaced, panels so out of line that there was simply not enough adjustment to get it lined up, etc...The fourth one to arrive was close enough to perfect for me to accept. Its only issues is the rear spoiler is unstuck on each end, a small spec of something under the paint on one door.

If it wasn't for the Fort Myers FL Tesla team and their amazing support and understanding I definitely would not be driving a Tesla.

I have closely looked at hundreds of Model 3's and the other Tesla models over the past 7 months and what I will undeniably say here is that NO Tesla is immune. I have yet to see a 100% flawless Tesla....ever!. Some have said it makes a difference if its an end of qtr. car that got pushed out of the factory in order to hit sales goals....NOPE. When the car was made makes NO difference, the color makes NO difference, the model makes NO difference. The only factor that makes any particular Tesla good enough to accept that isn't riddled with build quality issues is shear luck. Period.
So we are in a similar boat. We rejected the first M3LR back in May. Our service center was very helpful and offered to have the entire passenger side to be repainted. NOT GOING THERE. So we rejected it. MAJOR flaws under the clear coat that was not a simple "detail/hologram/swirl" paint correction.

We elected to take this one as it ONLY had superficial flaws with regards to the paint. Holograms and swirls.....easy fix potentially.

The interior was great until I looked up. The entire headliner is misaligned and is bulging over the driver's head along with every interior headliner not being aligned properly. Again, Tesla is going to fix this.

Other than that nothing else wrong interior/exterior paint/trim issues. The big deal is the windshield wipers impacting the frunk hood. Tesla has been SUPER helpful and I can drive it in this week to have it adjusted.

We have a roof glass misaligned but it is only about a mm off so not an issue for me.

EDIT: Sorry for multiple posts but can't edit the previous.

So we are in a similar boat. We rejected the first M3LR back in May. Our service center was very helpful and offered to have the entire passenger side to be repainted. NOT GOING THERE. So we rejected it. MAJOR flaws under the clear coat that was not a simple "detail/hologram/swirl" paint correction.

We elected to take this one as it ONLY had superficial flaws with regards to the paint. Holograms and swirls.....easy fix potentially.

The interior was great until I looked up. The entire headliner is misaligned and is bulging over the driver's head along with every interior headliner not being aligned properly. Again, Tesla is going to fix this.

Other than that nothing else wrong interior/exterior paint/trim issues. The big deal is the windshield wipers impacting the frunk hood. Tesla has been SUPER helpful and I can drive it in this week to have it adjusted.

We have a roof glass misaligned but it is only about a mm off so not an issue for me.

EDIT: Sorry for multiple posts but can't edit the previous.
Glad to hear your delivery center is handling it well. As far as the Tesla Fremont factory goes.......It's a total DISASTER!!!!. The factory workers there should be ashamed!! Zero excuses for what is allowed to leave that factory. I was always taught that it starts at the top. Are you listening, Elon?!

Glad to hear your delivery center is handling it well. As far as the Tesla Fremont factory goes.......It's a total DISASTER!!!!. The factory workers there should be ashamed!! Zero excuses for what is allowed to leave that factory. I was always taught that it starts at the top. Are you listening, Elon?!
I don't know how the vehicle leaves the factory and what a Delivery/SVC center works things.

I do know that OUR service center is more than willing to help on issues we have.

Reactions: Gulfcoaster