Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla Build quality improved on new Model 3s in 2022?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I get to see and drive all the latest Tesla's from Fremont and they all have had excellent build quality so far.

Model Y's have felt liner in door pockets now
FaUO2qwVQAAfAOG

Model 3's however do not yet have the felt liner in the door pockets
FaUT8WFVUAgg6Ep

Up until just days ago, the above pics would reflect cars made in China. Are you saying for certain that Fremont has adopted these changes?

Sounds like I may look for other options. I am retired and don't drive that much. I really like the idea of the Prius Prime. I think it only has like 25 mile ev range before engine starts but for me that would be fine. Don't really need a new car but love technology.

I've got a Model 3 and a Prius Prime.
I've been lucky with the 3...no real issues in almost three years, and I absolutely love driving it.
The Prime is a pretty great car for what it is. I get 32 miles of electric before it goes back to gas, and it performs far better with the electric engine. The overall range is fantastic. The UI is an utter mess though, and there's very little storage space in the back. The only time I drive the Prius is when I've got a really long drive that I want to complete as quickly as possible.

So we took delivery of our M3LR about 72 hours ago. YES there are tons of quality issues... Good news is that Tesla will take care of these issues. Still at 55 miles on the car and our local svc center states they will take care of this.
Be careful with trusting any SC/MS with your new (and eventually not-so-new) car. Like most ICE dealership service departments, Teslas service have an almost unfailing ability to break, damage or simply introduce new issues when attempting to fix (and sometimes even - gasp - fixing) existing/old issues.

Document everything with plenty of photos, written communications, etc.
And exercise caution in choosing what you decise you want them to fix vs. what you are willing to live with and/or do yourself (even with 50 miles on the virtual ODO).

Hi,
My humble recommendation is check out plug in hybrids from toyota or even hyundai. I have checked out hyundai santa fe plug in hybrid and the quality of the interior on its higher trim MSRP 46k was like Benz or BMW quality. It has a range of 30 EV and it is good for most commuters. I own late 2019 model S, and I am very disappointed and frustrated. I take more uber than my car in the last 6-7 months and when I am driving my Tesla that is because they told me to take the car home until parts arrive. It is a scam, from my perspective.
Yes I had decided to buy a Tesla but since I am so fussy have decided to look elsewhere. A 50k auto should be perfect. Have driven Toyota's for years and never had one problem. Leaning towards another Toyota. No excuse for the crap they are putting out even if they are solid other than all the body and interior problems. They should be ashamed of their quality. Really appreciate all the feedback. You guys saved me from making a huge mistake in my opinion. Think I will end up with a Prius Prime since most of the time I only drive 5 miles a day plus it will be a quality vehicle.

Last edited:
Yes I had decided to buy a Tesla but since I am so fussy have decided to look elsewhere. A 50k auto should be perfect. Have driven Toyota's for years and never had one problem. Leaning towards another Toyota. No excuse for the crap they are putting out even if they are solid other than all the body and interior problems. They should be ashamed of their quality. Really appreciate all the feedback. You guys saved me from making a huge mistake in my opinion. Think I will end up with a Prius Prime since most of the time I only drive 5 miles a day plus it will be a quality vehicle.
It was a rough road for us, we rejected three 2022 M3P's, the fourth one we accepted as it only had a couple of very minor issues, and they can be dealt with. You are absolutely correct that there is no excuse for the crap Fremont is sending out the door. Atrocious comes to mind...

No doubt the Toyota will embarrass any Tesla in quality, but talk about a boring car 😔

If your budget allows, look at the i4 BMW or the Polestar 2, both impeccably put together.

I am sure most of you have seen this but this is pretty discouraging.

View attachment 843579

I suspect that this includes Model Y's as well which still have some quality issues (more than the Model 3s). The thing though right now (in this market) is that you can take the risk of buying a new Tesla since (just after you get it) you could possibly sell it at the same or even higher price if you are not satisfied with its build quality. For example, I got my Model 3 end of February and right now the used car offer I have on the car is 5K higher than what I paid for. In my case, my Model 3 has no quality issues whatsoever, and hence, I am not planning to selling it.

Having owned Honda's and Toyota's in the past, I understand the reliability aspect, but once I drove the Model 3, boy what fun it is. So I would take the risk and get it. As I said, if you are not satisfied after delivery, there is the option of simply reselling it with breaking even or even making some extra cash.

Last edited:
I had my model 3 delivered august 5th and I just noticed today the driver side shock is leaking fluid. And both the bottom of the side shirts have really bad scrape on it. It’s kinda annoying that you have to deal with stuff like these on a 3 weeks old car but I still love the car. Really fun to drive.

I hate to say it but the nasty nancy's are wrong. Have been on the forum long
enough to know that 1 in 3 had fit and finish a few years ago has gone
to about zero. In fact this forum is more about totaled cars, rear ended cars, or
tires. In fact the drive unit stuff has also gone away. What you say a few POS's gone bad.
Well yes Tesla is a work in progress but to say quality has not improved makes my Jack
shiver. Luck of the draw my white but I say. My partner is happy and that makes me a
happy jack. Never mind!!

Reactions: RSpanner
Good Decision.
and the phantom braking would give you a heart attack no matter how healthy you are !

2022 M3 LR owner

Plus-
Performance
Charging Network

Minus-
Phantom Braking - Vision system very poor
Paint and Build Quality
Parts availability poor
Cabin Noise

Reactions: Porkenstein
I just took delivery of M3 LR. The taillights have a huge gap that exposes a blue cable inside. I am sure water can get in if it is raining but I am told by the staff there this is normal. I have checked other M3 on the lot and 7/10 cars have this huge gap.
definitely $60k vehicle class fit/finish. I'm sure the blue cable will be fine *if* the contacts are shrink wrapped and water proofed... but c'mon... that's just plain ugly and shouldn't happen... panel gaps so large you see what's behind the panel...

I took delivery of my Fremont M3P on 6/26/22. Have since driven it 6600 miles, including two 2000 mile roadtrips.

The only issues I've had are having to get my cabin filters replaced and coils cleaned due to the common issue of the AC developing a mildewy smell and having to get one taillight replaced due to condensation. No other major issues and I just rotated my tires for the first time as well.

I took delivery of my Fremont M3P on 6/26/22. Have since driven it 6600 miles, including two 2000 mile roadtrips.

The only issues I've had are having to get my cabin filters replaced and coils cleaned due to the common issue of the AC developing a mildewy smell and having to get one taillight replaced due to condensation. No other major issues and I just rotated my tires for the first time as well.
yay... only 2 issues in a ~2 months old vehicle... the AC mildewy thing is a known issue since 2018 and 4 yrs later still hasn't been addressed design wise

I am sure most of you have seen this but this is pretty discouraging.
I don't actually find the JD power reports that discouraging. Yes, Tesla is near the bottom, but near the bottom of modern car quality isn't that bad. If you think about the problems per 100 vehicles, going from 180 to 226 isn't that big of a deal. More of a problem is how promptly and competently service centers address these issues at the moment, imho.

Drove home Sept.4, 2021 in new M3 LR. Gaps 3 mm. No visible defects except 1, that I noticed at home. Bottom outer edge drivers door in about 5/16".
Headlight failure 4 months ago, Mobile service replaced it and fixed the drivers door. Extent of minor problems. Love driving this car!