Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla changed their minds on SCs in urban areas?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Agreed, but was it ever confirmed that the site was at Square One? Tesla tended to put the pins on the maps at the location of city hall. In Miss that is pretty much at Square One. Square One does make a lot of sense, hopefully that is the actual location. That Mississauga site is another site that is taking a very long time to come to fruition - I think that pin has been on the map since about 2017-8.

Dang, didn’t follow Tesla until this year when I thought and purchased a vehicle. But your right about the pin. It just says Mississauga.

I do see construction in the pinned area. So I am hoping it is the actual location.

If you look on a Tesla Navigation map, you will quickly see most the paid parking locations have way less users.

Luckily, Canadian urban SCs like Rideau and Toronto Eaton Centre are self park.

And I guess I will add to the never-ending thread, but we have urban SCs in Canada at the following locations:
- CF Sherway Gardens Etobicoke
- CF Toronto Eaton Centre
- CF Rideau Ottawa
- CF Laval
- CF Pacific Centre (Vancouver)
- CF Waterfront Centre (Vancouver)
- Uptown Mall in Victoria, BC (whole foods) (makes sense there's nowhere to go after)
- Guildford Tower centre
- Fairmont Chateau Whistler

I assume the reason behind these urban SCs are mainly just either location is at a shopping centre (that is considered high-end) or the parking garage is small and doesnt have significant space to store transformers and cabinets.

If anything, there is probably a push to add V3s and/or lack of V2 urban charging equipment. It may explain why the Q2 Tesla Montreal Supercharger isnt here yet.
We may have the urban style of SCs at those sites but this thread is more about the strategy to put SCs in dense urban cores to give decent charging options to city dwellers that don't have the option of charging at home.

Maybe Tesla is deciding that these urban sites are underused so it doesn't make sense to build them any more. Or maybe they are finding that Teslas are not selling to those who can't charge at home. My main point is that they seem to have moved away from "Supercharging cities". My proof for that is the cancellation of Yonge&Eg and the Annex, plus the choice of a hotel, rather than a supermarket, for the Liberty Village site.

We may have the urban style of SCs at those sites but this thread is more about the strategy to put SCs in dense urban cores to give decent charging options to city dwellers that don't have the option of charging at home.

Maybe Tesla is deciding that these urban sites are underused so it doesn't make sense to build them any more. Or maybe they are finding that Teslas are not selling to those who can't charge at home. My main point is that they seem to have moved away from "Supercharging cities". My proof for that is the cancellation of Yonge&Eg and the Annex, plus the choice of a hotel, rather than a supermarket, for the Liberty Village site.
One point to consider: Tesla does not choose the site. The landowner chooses to host Tesla.

Agree, Tesla has definitely changed their plan/strategy for urban (in the GTA at least). Problem is, what is it?

Why put V3 in Liberty Village? Pretty sure Tesla’s stance is still fast-supercharging should be occasional for trips/distance travel (fill up as fast as possible and go), as it’s bad for battery life to fast-supercharge all the time.

I guess it’ll be slightly cheaper parking for us to fuel&go in under an hour with V3, but I really don’t see that as being the most common use case at Liberty Village / Hotel X, driving past on the way to somewhere else.

One guess is it’s cheaper to only mass-produce one type of charger (V3), so they go everywhere no matter what now.

For the Hotel X location, as mentioned, maybe the hotel approached Tesla offering up the space, since it is close, call it the Liberty Village location and check it off the list.

It probably is more difficult to do wiring in buildings as you have to deal with more people, like the building landlord, and the actual logistics may be trickier.

But the Liberty Village site is an example of a location that is not really well suited for local Tesla owners. If they were following their stated urban strategy this should have gone at a supermarket, and there is one in Liberty Village that would have been much more convenient. And you still had to deal with wiring inside a building at the Hotel X where they put it.

It probably is more difficult to do wiring in buildings as you have to deal with more people, like the building landlord, and the actual logistics may be trickier.

But the Liberty Village site is an example of a location that is not really well suited for local Tesla owners. If they were following their stated urban strategy this should have gone at a supermarket, and there is one in Liberty Village that would have been much more convenient. And you still had to deal with wiring inside a building at the Hotel X where they put it.
There’s barely any parking at that Metro there.

i don’t think they would easily give up 8 spaces for Tesla. Maybe 2 if they are lucky.