Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has tesla de-activated radar on my model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Buzzer

Jan 24, 2021
UK
I have an early 2021 model 3 with radar. I have noticed with software update 2022.40.4.2 if I am on autopilot on a dark dual carriageway with no cars in front of me but cars travelling the other way so the headlights are on dip the car wants to slow to 40mph ish! and comes with the warning. slowing down because of tesla vision (or some word similar to this). I've done 20k miles in this car and this has never happened before. This sucks and is dangerous have tesla removed the use of radar?

I guess it depends when exactly you take updates, but the removal of radar in favour of vision only was about 3 months ago.

I'm not sure of the actual scenario you are describing though, my June 2022 Model 3 was built without radar, and I've never had that experience. It might slow when there is poor visibility e.g. rain etc. but that seems reasonable enough to me, I would drive more slowly.

I guess it depends when exactly you take updates, but the removal of radar in favour of vision only was about 3 months ago.

I'm not sure of the actual scenario you are describing though, my June 2022 Model 3 was built without radar, and I've never had that experience. It might slow when there is poor visibility e.g. rain etc. but that seems reasonable enough to me, I would drive more slowly.
Refusing to do even 30mph when visibility is good for 60mph is not “reasonable”

Not my experience, and I've not seen any similar comments in this forum and boy have we talked to death minor changes like not being able to be 1 car length or driving over 85mph. I would raise a service request.

Reactions: init6
My car kept reducing the cruise control speed this morning due to bad visibility. It was perfectly clear and dry. I intervened before it could reduce by more than 10 mph.
it was perfectly clear looking through the bit of the windscreen you were using but was there condensation on any of the cameras? A common occurrence this time of year. The front one is heated but the others are prone to this. Heating element on the front one has been known to fail as well.

it was perfectly clear looking through the bit of the windscreen you were using but was there condensation on any of the cameras? A common occurrence this time of year. The front one is heated but the others are prone to this. Heating element on the front one has been known to fail as well.
Good point (and Andy above) could be condensation or frost on the cameras. Not sure how you solve this. They probably need a supplemental system other than just cameras...............

• Funny
Reactions: CWT3LR
Good point (and Andy above) could be condensation or frost on the cameras. Not sure how you solve this. They probably need a supplemental system other than just cameras...............
Whenever someone comes out with the "we manage with vision only so the car should be able to as well" mantra
I like to point out that I my eyes have a self cleaning mechanism and the car not so much.

Whenever someone comes out with the "we manage with vision only so the car should be able to as well" mantra
I like to point out that I my eyes have a self cleaning mechanism and the car not so much.
That doesn't really make sense, as your eyes look through the same windscreen glass. You can't blink away a misted windscreen. The cameras aren't very likely to get dirty in that way.

Isn't there a heating element in the glass around the cameras as well, something must be broke if it's misting and the rest of the windscreen is clear ?

That doesn't really make sense, as your eyes look through the same windscreen glass. You can't blink away a misted windscreen. The cameras aren't very likely to get dirty in that way.

Isn't there a heating element in the glass around the cameras as well, something must be broke if it's misting and the rest of the windscreen is clear ?
Only the windscreen one as far as i know. The B pillar ones suffer from condensation, frost, and blinding and as far as I know they are unable to cry, blink or wear sunglasses

It would also be worth checking the list of notifications that are retained in the Service section of the screen info. I sometimes find that there are some items listed even though I never saw any notification on the screen at the time. (In case there was a note there about camera issues.)

Reactions: DudleyDuoflush