Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Tesla ever supplied J1772 equipment along with its own chargers?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been told that at times Tesla has at times supplied J1772 equipment along with its own dedicated chargers - not sure if this means wall chargers or superchargers.

Can't find a reference to Tesla doing that on this forum, despite much searching.

Does anybody know if Tesla has done this?

Yes in the destination charging program. Tesla will often add a Clipper Creek HCS 60 which is much better than your typical public L2 station.
Thanks @dhrivnak . Very helpful.

Is this a common thing for Tesla to do ? Why do they do it? Regulation? Publicity? Accommodate Roadsters? Stopping non-Teslas from using the Tesla charger?

(My ulterior motive is to see if we can prompt Tesla to do something similar here in Australia!)

Last edited:
As mentioned above Tesla does list destination charging stations for Tesla owners at places like Hotels and dining establishments where you might have a dedicated Tesla wall connector installed but most times from the map designations just list the site as having "a Tesla Connector" with up to so many kWh rating, assume these could be J1772 sometimes.

Here's a Tesla Destination Charger map hopefully zero'd in on Australia for you:

Find Us | Tesla

If you click on the gray charging icon it will bring up more detailed info.

Last edited:
Here in the US our 2017 car came with a UMC that had several adapters included, a NEMA 14-50, a J1772, and I think a 120v adapter. I haven't seen any Tesla charging stations where we are with this on it however. Tesla sells the J1772s separately on their website, at least here in the US. We do use the J1772 adapter frequently for ChargePoint chargers when on the road in our area but those are run by ChargePoint.

Tesla — SAE J1772 Charging Adapter

I know the supercharger station in Gilroy, California is located right next to an EVgo charging station but the land both are on is in a shopping center and not owned by Tesla but probably leased to them as well as EVgo. There's also some other 2-stall charging station adjacent to both but never see anyone there and not sure what it is but it's marked for EVs. Could that situation maybe be what you've heard about? We have a lot of J1772 charging stations here and as far as I know none are run or owned by Tesla.

Tesla supplies a J1772 adapter allowing Teslas to use a J1772, not an adapter allowing a J1772 car to use a Tesla charger, just to clarify.

Quickchargepower.com was/is developing a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter last I heard.

Tesla supplies a J1772 adapter allowing Teslas to use a J1772, not an adapter allowing a J1772 car to use a Tesla charger, just to clarify.

Quickchargepower.com was/is developing a Tesla-to-J1772 adapter last I heard.
They said they were, but they may run into a few unanticipated problems. @hcsharp developed an adapter so that Roadsters could use the destination chargers & it wasn't a slam dunk.