Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the drive unit noise issue been sorted in dual motor MS?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an S90D that I took delivery of on Monday -- built mid-September 2015. I don't find the sounds in my MS loud, something I'd complain about, or will likely be annoyed with. I come from having driven two different Lexus RX AWD Hybrids for the past 10 years, and my MS is even less intrusive in terms of engine/motor noise as long as the pano roof and windows are closed. (My Lexus RX450h was far quieter with it's moonroof open and/or a window down at speeds up to 50MPH or so.)

I have a mid-March build 85D (i.e. built within the first month or so of non-Performance Dual motor models) and the whirring noise is definitely more prominent than RWD models but I find it to be a very pleasant sound. It kind of sounds like a jet engine.

I have not experienced grinding or anything along those lines but that does not sound pleasant. :wink:

I have a mid-March build 85D (i.e. built within the first month or so of non-Performance Dual motor models) and the whirring noise is definitely more prominent than RWD models but I find it to be a very pleasant sound. It kind of sounds like a jet engine.

I have not experienced grinding or anything along those lines but that does not sound pleasant. :wink:

Same for me.

My 90D definitely has a fairly loud whining noise from the front motor. It not just during hard acceleration (like the noise from my old S85), it's there sometimes even at a 30-40MPH constant speed.

I can hear it unless the stereo is turn up pretty loud, so I'll ask service to check it out next time I'm in for some thing.

Early P85Ds delivered in 2014/early 2015 seemed to be the only ones affected and as you said a 60k VIN seems about right. The loaner I got I was told it was a previous sales demo car? Anyway it was P62??? and it had a little motor noise, didn't bother me at all but for those with excellent hearing I could see where it may be a little annoying.

Can someone please post or link a video to the abnormal drive unit noise? As perspective buyer, this will be greatly appreciated.

The drive unit of course makes a noise under heavy acceleration. Is the noise referring to that sound getting louder? Or is it a noise that happens with even constant speed, say driving 40mph in the city or 70mph on the highway?

There are a few sounds the motor makes is normal operation -- a whirring, turbine-like sound (I think this is the original subject of this thread -- a few people had issues with the D as it was louder having a 2nd motor near the driver) and a balloon squeal under heavy acceleration.

There are two problematic drive unit sounds (these don't appear to be related to failure or loss of performance, but Tesla will replace drive units for these sounds). One is called the "milling sound" by Tesla. This buzzing sound starts at 10-20kW power draw around 18-25 mph, and gradually gets worse, expanding the upper bound of both power draw and speed. This sound gets quite loud and annoying if the drive unit is not replaced by the time it is happening up to 40-60kw draw. There is also something Tesla calls a "droning" sound. This occurs at freeway speeds and sounds kind of like an older 4 cylinder car struggling up a hill behind you. As far as I know these apply to the original, large drive units used in RWD vehicles, and the P85D/P90D cars. Whether these sounds will manifest in the new, small drive unit used in the 70D, 85D and P front unit is unknown.

• Informative
Reactions: Toasty_OH
I haven't had any of these sounds. I get a whine at full acceleration from a stop. Otherwise the motor is essentially silent. Hope it stays that way!

There are a few sounds the motor makes is normal operation -- a whirring, turbine-like sound (I think this is the original subject of this thread -- a few people had issues with the D as it was louder having a 2nd motor near the driver) and a balloon squeal under heavy acceleration.

There are two problematic drive unit sounds (these don't appear to be related to failure or loss of performance, but Tesla will replace drive units for these sounds). One is called the "milling sound" by Tesla. This buzzing sound starts at 10-20kW power draw around 18-25 mph, and gradually gets worse, expanding the upper bound of both power draw and speed. This sound gets quite loud and annoying if the drive unit is not replaced by the time it is happening up to 40-60kw draw. There is also something Tesla calls a "droning" sound. This occurs at freeway speeds and sounds kind of like an older 4 cylinder car struggling up a hill behind you. As far as I know these apply to the original, large drive units used in RWD vehicles, and the P85D/P90D cars. Whether these sounds will manifest in the new, small drive unit used in the 70D, 85D and P front unit is unknown.

I have an S90D that I took delivery of on Monday -- built mid-September 2015. I don't find the sounds in my MS loud, something I'd complain about, or will likely be annoyed with. I come from having driven two different Lexus RX AWD Hybrids for the past 10 years, and my MS is even less intrusive in terms of engine/motor noise as long as the pano roof and windows are closed. (My Lexus RX450h was far quieter with it's moonroof open and/or a window down at speeds up to 50MPH or so.)
This is supposedly what Toyota/Lexus use to cancel engine noise: Couldn't this be done as well for the MS? Tesla could update the algorithm over time which is a huge plus. I figure that noise cancel will be more effective vs an ICE car b/c the MS motor would produce a more reliable whirring noise vs an ICE engine.
ch33.jpg