Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the M3P ruined me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so, anyways...I got my new(to me) M3P a few weeks ago and had such a blast that I couldn't stop driving it...combined that with some rainy weather here and well, today was the first time I have driven my 718 Cayman since picking up the M3P....

I swear to god I thought maybe the floor mat was stuck behind the gas pedal and was blocking the accelerator ... but I checked it and it was fine.
My Cayman was never a speed demon, it's built more for handling the twisties, but holy hell I swear I think something is wrong with it....but I think I know what it is...three weeks of driving the M3P has completely ruined my senses of what gas cars feel like......WoW!!!

Same for me. My summer car is a Nissan 370Z. It was never a speed demon with only around 300hp but holy hell it felt slow after driving the M3P for a couple of months.

I was almost ready to give up and sell it but finally something clicked in my brain and I can again appreciate the feeling of the naturally aspirated v6, manual transmission and my aftermarket exhaust :)

Totally agree with the above!
Only a small handful of cars are quicker than a M3P in real world driving.
My M3P replaced a 2017 tuned Audi TTS that was measured 0-60 at 3.8 seconds. It feels very pedestrian compared to our M3P.
Problem will come in a few years time - I am always upgrading my cars onward & upwards - I think the M3P will be a hard act to follow.
If I had the money and needed to change it today - the only two cars I would consider would both be Porsche - 911 Turbo S or Taycan Turbo S - both considerably more expensive than an M3P

My M3P replaced a 2017 tuned Audi TTS that was measured 0-60 at 3.8 seconds. It feels very pedestrian compared to our M3P.
Problem will come in a few years time - I am always upgrading my cars onward & upwards - I think the M3P will be a hard act to follow.
If I had the money and needed to change it today - the only two cars I would consider would both be Porsche - 911 Turbo S or Taycan Turbo S - both considerably more expensive than an M3P

Agreed on the ”tough act to follow” part. I’ve been upgrading to faster and faster things as well. I came to the M3P from a 4WD Cupra that did 4,9s 0-100km/h stock and I had a tune on it that made it really haul ass.

The potential paths forward for me after M3P are Model S LR or Plaid - hate that there is no Model S Performance that would sit in between…the S LR is supposed to keep pulling better at high speeds where the M3P struggles so at the end of the day it may be enough. Another option is to get an M3P again.

I had a 991 Turbo S. On paper faster than an M3P but in the real world the M3P is faster because of waiting for PDK and turbos. I sold my Turbo S once my wife got her Y because it was clear it was an ICE car cosplaying as an EV.

The only ICE cars I want are way slower, and my next ICE car will be a GR Corolla. Manual without too much power is the only reason to have an ICE road car now.

I had a 991 Turbo S. On paper faster than an M3P but in the real world the M3P is faster because of waiting for PDK and turbos. I sold my Turbo S once my wife got her Y because it was clear it was an ICE car cosplaying as an EV.

The only ICE cars I want are way slower, and my next ICE car will be a GR Corolla. Manual without too much power is the only reason to have an ICE road car now.
I actually prefer manual for sporty driving. To me it's quicker than trying to use an auto in sport. I know some are semi-auto which aren't too bad, and I'm sure some are better than others.

Lol same experience here. My previous car was much slower than my M3P, around mid 6 second 0-60 but it was a turbo with 6 speed manual which had been tuned, it was a fun sporty daily driver.

Well after having my M3P for a couple weeks I go to drive it again and I seriously thought a charge pipe had popped off but the boost gauge confirmed it had not. It was sold shortly after.

...three weeks of driving the M3P has completely ruined my senses of what gas cars feel like......WoW!!!

I've gone the other way.
After 4+ years of driving TM3P (and other EVs before it), I've switched back to almost exclusively driving F80 ///M3. It just gives me more smiles per mile.
I find 3P to be more of a driving appliance - quick to accelerate and stop in straight line, but heavy, under-tired, and with zero driver feedback near the limits.
3P is now wife's grocery getter. She still likes it, so it will be staying in the garage a bit longer.

YMMV,
a

I've gone the other way.
After 4+ years of driving TM3P (and other EVs before it), I've switched back to almost exclusively driving F80 ///M3. It just gives me more smiles per mile.
I find 3P to be more of a driving appliance - quick to accelerate and stop in straight line, but heavy, under-tired, and with zero driver feedback near the limits.
3P is now wife's grocery getter. She still likes it, so it will be staying in the garage a bit longer.

YMMV,
a
I agree, my wife's fiesta st is miles more fun to drive (and makes me laugh with a little pop pop now and again). Should have made the model 3 performance sportier imo. Buckets seats, suspension, cool/massive wing 😁 .

Reactions: tm1v2
Interesting subject. Traded my Porsche 981 for the Tesla Model 3 RWD and was very impressed, and still am but the experience is just totally different. Drives great, love the instant torque, but can't really compete with the smiles per mile of the Porsche. It's our go to shopping/airport/trips to the beach car. Still looking forward to taking delivery of my Lotus Emira (if they ever start delivery in the US) by Q4 this year. The Tesla is a great car, but can't yet replace a true sports car, neither is it its purpose or expectations.

so, anyways...I got my new(to me) M3P a few weeks ago and had such a blast that I couldn't stop driving it...combined that with some rainy weather here and well, today was the first time I have driven my 718 Cayman since picking up the M3P....

I swear to god I thought maybe the floor mat was stuck behind the gas pedal and was blocking the accelerator ... but I checked it and it was fine.
My Cayman was never a speed demon, it's built more for handling the twisties, but holy hell I swear I think something is wrong with it....but I think I know what it is...three weeks of driving the M3P has completely ruined my senses of what gas cars feel like......WoW!!!
Same experience with my 987 and my MYLR. Feel like the cayman is broken every time I drive it, which has not been much in the last 6 weeks.

I actually prefer manual for sporty driving. To me it's quicker than trying to use an auto in sport. I know some are semi-auto which aren't too bad, and I'm sure some are better than others.
Manual isn't faster than a modern automatic like a ZF8 or a DCT, it just isn't. It's just more fun. I have a few amateur endurance races under my belt and can heel toe pretty decently after owning two S2000s, and it's still slower. The only advantage a manual might have is with gear selection if you have a particularly stupid automatic or CVT. I also prefer manual on ICE but purely because it's more fun. I'm under no illusion I wouldn't do faster times with a modern auto.

Reactions: Skateboardgolf
Manual isn't faster than a modern automatic like a ZF8 or a DCT, it just isn't. It's just more fun. I have a few amateur endurance races under my belt and can heel toe pretty decently after owning two S2000s, and it's still slower. The only advantage a manual might have is with gear selection if you have a particularly stupid automatic or CVT. I also prefer manual on ICE but purely because it's more fun. I'm under no illusion I wouldn't do faster times with a modern auto.
Manual still feels quicker on the street to me because the shifting is inherently in sync with my throttle foot. I'm never caught waiting for a computer to shift.

Every time I drive an automatic, no matter how modern and fancy and highly-rated and fast-shifting it is, I still find myself impatiently waiting for it to downshift. My right foot is ready to GO but the transmission isn't. There's no such feeling of delay with a good manual, where I'm naturally timing my right foot to the physical act of shifting.

I understand that modern automatics (dual clutch or otherwise) can shift faster than me, but I hate the disconnect of having a computer decide when to shift. And no, shift paddles/buttons don't address this, because the button press is completely disconnected from the actual shifting.

My wife refuses to drive a manual though, so when we went down to 1 car almost a decade ago, the Model S came to our rescue (P85 because why not). Not an automatic and not a manual! Smooth and quiet for her, fast and responsive for me. No ICE car balances those things so well as a good EV. (Not that a Model S P85 is sporty. It isn't. But it's legit quick, very well balanced, and actually rotates quite well, even though it feels big and numb.)

I just have a regular dual-motor, but still, after one month of ownership, I knew I would never buy another ICE again. My next vehicle is a CT, for my ski adventures. Even now, before I know I have to drive an ICE, I'll turn my driver settings to my "snow day" settings which I've set for low regen and normal acceleration. It's the same settings I use for when someone new drives my 3. It's just an easier transition from the 3 to an ICE and back.

Manual still feels quicker on the street to me because the shifting is inherently in sync with my throttle foot. I'm never caught waiting for a computer to shift.

Every time I drive an automatic, no matter how modern and fancy and highly-rated and fast-shifting it is, I still find myself impatiently waiting for it to downshift. My right foot is ready to GO but the transmission isn't. There's no such feeling of delay with a good manual, where I'm naturally timing my right foot to the physical act of shifting.

I understand that modern automatics (dual clutch or otherwise) can shift faster than me, but I hate the disconnect of having a computer decide when to shift. And no, shift paddles/buttons don't address this, because the button press is completely disconnected from the actual shifting.

My wife refuses to drive a manual though, so when we went down to 1 car almost a decade ago, the Model S came to our rescue (P85 because why not). Not an automatic and not a manual! Smooth and quiet for her, fast and responsive for me. No ICE car balances those things so well as a good EV. (Not that a Model S P85 is sporty. It isn't. But it's legit quick, very well balanced, and actually rotates quite well, even though it feels big and numb.)
To be clear, I 100% agree. The reality is it's slower, but it feels faster and more fun, and more engaging to boot. I have no doubt the PDK results in faster lap times, but because I am less involved in the process, any wait, even one that is shorter than shifting the gear myself, feels like an eternity.

The closest experience I've had to the 'feel of a manual' is "sport plus" mode on my 991 Turbo S PDK. But without a clutch or a shift gate it just feels like a broken automatic, super aggressive downshifts and even holding upshifts to where I would in a manual while driving for fun feels super wrong. Really aggressive engine braking and shifts that slam into gear. So yeah, anyone who says an automatic exists that feels like a manual would get sideeye from me.

• Informative
I've gone the other way.

YMMV,
a

I can understand this. I would much rather prefer driving a stick shift turbo car...but my cheapness has pushed me the other way. lol

I had an M3P for 3 years until I switched over to my Rivian R1T. The only thing M3P ruined me on was expecting endless instant acceleration...which thankfully I still get with the R1T (although my tires are hurting in the truck...need to be easier on it!)

Reactions: abioqaas

You are not alone.

Last year, I was planning on getting a M3LR for my wife and a 911 later on for myself.

I got her a 2022 M3LR and after driving it around for 1 month, I placed an order for the 2nd one. So much for planning to buy a Porsche.

My other two choices before I got my M3P were a Challenger Hellcat or a BMW M3.

I refuse to ever drive a slush box again, and options are pretty much for something that can accelerate like the M3P, handle like the M3P (ESPECIALLY with mods), and still serve as a decent dad car.

Last edited:
  • Love
so, I figured out a hack.....drive the 718 first thing in the morning. 😅

took it out this morning for a wash and see if it felt any different....it did feel better and like her old self, but my god, it is insane how different it is from that instant go juice from the M3P....the mistake I made yesterday was taking her out right after a drive in the Tesla....I literally thought something was wrong with it :oops:

It still has a purpose as it is still fun to shift gears manually and look good doing it, but it is incredible how different ICE vs EV feels back to back.

btw, Porsche has announce the next generation Cayman will be full EV..... Can't wait!

took some snaps yesterday....
17B2D6D0-67F4-4F56-86CE-490B3204D63A.jpeg

E09D4958-6651-458D-8026-15E46C2BAA8F.jpeg

IMG_0159.JPG

Attachments

• F8C2CE74-9B0E-46D8-843D-8849F352A72B.jpeg
    F8C2CE74-9B0E-46D8-843D-8849F352A72B.jpeg
    703.7 KB · Views: 28