Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the M3P ruined me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still have a 96 Merc SL ragtop I keep for nostalgic reasons. 37,000 miles on her in mint condition. Hopefully my daughter will take good as good care of her after I pass. That being said, will be really nice when someone comes out with a ragtop EV sports car a la Miata style. Something affordable in the 60,000 range. Do not need or want a 120,000+ $ Porsche
totally agree. it can cost as much as a model 3 and provide no more benefit, just give me a nice open top, a rear parcel shelf, and a few fake analog guages and I am good.

Reactions: Midnightsun
Have a hard time driving typical ICE any more due to lack of one pedal driving, that they usually sound like ass from the outside by the engine, and the need to physically turn them on and off everytime you drive them.

While I personally enjoy the sound of a nicely tuned high performance engine/exhaust, the majority of cars sound simply horrible. So much clicking and clacking under the hood. Even recent Porsche engines sound un-satisfying, except at high revs and full throttle

The overall fact that there are simply too many of them, spewing poison gas. Keeping a few as a toy for enjoyment purposes might be OK, but 95% of the time an EV is the better choice.

Reactions: cdub and XPsionic
Respectfully I disagree. Don't yuck my yum. You'll be happier when you stop doing that, because it will make you easier to be around.
Better buy what you like in the upcoming years as ICE vehicle sales will be banned in the future. Here in Canada they are shooting to ban all new car ICE vehicle sales progressively starting in 2026 and a total ban by 2035. Thats not very far away. I can see gas stations starting to close progressively also or turned into convenience stores as the demand diminishes because almost everyone charges at home unless travelling far distances. By 2040 I would venture to say there will not be all that many gas stations left.

Better buy what you like in the upcoming years as ICE vehicle sales will be banned in the future. Here in Canada they are shooting to ban all new car ICE vehicle sales progressively starting in 2026 and a total ban by 2035. Thats not very far away. I can see gas stations starting to close progressively also or turned into convenience stores as the demand diminishes because almost everyone charges at home unless travelling far distances. By 2040 I would venture to say there will not be all that many gas stations left.
I'm ok with not having ICE cars available to me personally. As I said, they are fun but I understand why they're likely to die out long term. Hopefully by then there will be used options (in 2020, there were some great deals on used EVs before everything shot up) and new options so that people with less money aren't stuck buying cheap ICE cars that are expensive to operate.

ICE cars will eventually be like mechanical watches- you admire the steampunk of it all but if you're intellectually honest the solar digital casio is a superior timepiece in all the timekeeping ways.

Reactions: XPsionic
ICE cars will eventually be like mechanical watches- you admire the steampunk of it all but if you're intellectually honest the solar digital casio is a superior timepiece in all the timekeeping ways.
Those expensive mechanical timepieces do appreciate in value vs the casio which is garbage material. I do agree though, the casio will keep better time and has a lot less to go wrong just like an EV VS ICE. ;) personally I have quite a few mechanical watches however my Apple Ultra is all I normally wear. The Ultra will only depreciate though as electronics improve and will end up just like the casio. Reminds me of the series 1 apple watch I have in my drawer, now garbage material.

Respectfully I disagree. Don't yuck my yum. You'll be happier when you stop doing that, because it will make you easier to be around.

Same. There's no way I can tow my trailer 300 miles on a single charge. Im planning a trip to Oregon I'm not seeing many charging options where we're headed without double backing. Plenty of reasons to have a non EV

Those expensive mechanical timepieces do appreciate in value vs the casio which is garbage material. I do agree though, the casio will keep better time and has a lot less to go wrong just like an EV VS ICE. ;) personally I have quite a few mechanical watches however my Apple Ultra is all I normally wear. The Ultra will only depreciate though as electronics improve and will end up just like the casio. Reminds me of the series 1 apple watch I have in my drawer, now garbage material.
My hope is that quality EVs last a super long time and that everyone can afford one so they can drive cheaply and cleanly.

That's going to be really difficult in places like Edmonton, Grand Cache, etc.... I love E cars but I am hoping for 80% at best. I would not want to live north of Calgary without a good gas mudder.

My summer car. 370Z with some nice Volk TE37SL wheels.
79160EC1-AF0F-4096-86E1-5FAA5C486240.jpeg

That's going to be really difficult in places like Edmonton, Grand Cache, etc.... I love E cars but I am hoping for 80% at best. I would not want to live north of Calgary without a good gas mudder.

Yeah, I don't see how EVs are gonna work for some of the more remote areas in North America. BC hydro just put in a bunch of 1x50kw stations in BC, but that's more of a last resort type of charging! Imagine having more than 1 EV showing up to charge, it'll be chaos. Same lack of electrical access is the reason why so few national parks in the USA have fast DC chargers, it really makes road tripping in a Tesla a bit more of a hassle at the moment, and will take a lot of investment in infrastructure to change this.

In Northern Alberta, with wide open spaces, super cold winters, wind, snow, and lack of DC chargers being installed by the local governments, it'd take a HUGE investment from the federal level to meet a 2035 transition deadline, and even if they do have 4x or 8x 250kw chargers every 50km (fat chance of that!), can you imagine how long it'd take to tow something from Fort Mcmurray to Edmonton in the dead of winter with our current EV tech?

Reactions: enemji
Yeah, I don't see how EVs are gonna work for some of the more remote areas in North America. BC hydro just put in a bunch of 1x50kw stations in BC, but that's more of a last resort type of charging! Imagine having more than 1 EV showing up to charge, it'll be chaos. Same lack of electrical access is the reason why so few national parks in the USA have fast DC chargers, it really makes road tripping in a Tesla a bit more of a hassle at the moment, and will take a lot of investment in infrastructure to change this.

In Northern Alberta, with wide open spaces, super cold winters, wind, snow, and lack of DC chargers being installed by the local governments, it'd take a HUGE investment from the federal level to meet a 2035 transition deadline, and even if they do have 4x or 8x 250kw chargers every 50km (fat chance of that!), can you imagine how long it'd take to tow something from Fort Mcmurray to Edmonton in the dead of winter with our current EV tech?

Really, even now you have to put some thought into making sure you don't get caught between gas stations. How about superchargers at Pink Mountain campground - in late Fall .... hahahahaha

I think towing might be an issue for evs. Can you imagine trying to get into a spot with a large trailer or caravan on the back. Not to mention the reduction if range.
It’s clearly time for caravan & trailer makers to include an EV compatible battery pack built into their products - that will enable the towing vehicle to be charged when the driver gets to their destination. This could also power the caravan/trailer and also itself be charged at roadside chargers or at home.
This will get over a lot of the range anxiety that comes from towing, in my opinion!

It’s clearly time for caravan & trailer makers to include an EV compatible battery pack built into their products - that will enable the towing vehicle to be charged when the driver gets to their destination. This could also power the caravan/trailer and also itself be charged at roadside chargers or at home.
This will get over a lot of the range anxiety that comes from towing, in my opinion!
That's not a bad idea, but that would add alot of cost in I'd imagine.

that issue is weight. . . .

That's not a bad idea, but that would add alot of cost in I'd imagine.
Did you see Lightship just opened reservations: Moving road trips to the electric age.

I wouldn't buy but kind of a cool idea of an RV that propels itself - so you don't lose efficiency on the vehicle pulling it. Also it has solar panels to reduce battery usage - it claims it can support electrical use of up to a week.