Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the M3P ruined me?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the 6.7 turbodiesel in my megacab works to keep me happy. Diesel torque hits harder than Gas HP, even if it is slower.
That's the truth. I still have my diesel Jeep for towing the travel trailer or off-roading. It hardly gets driven anymore unless I'm doing one of those two things; I think I've put less than 1,000 miles on it since getting the M3LR in September. Probably will change a bit once spring rolls around and I start taking the trailer out more.

I personally didn't have a fast car before getting my sr+. I effectively gave the Sr+ to my wife and got a used p- and I can empathize with the sentiment of "it has ruined me". I don't have the need to have a top speed close to 200 but on paper I can beat virtually everything 0-60 for the money I spent in a green light race. I really hope when the drivetrain warranty runs up that my choices will be more than a 3 and Y p for this quickness. I don't think I can ever purposefully go back.

Even my buddies with "racecars" are a little surprised with the quickness where I am straightline performance is pretty much all that matters.

That's the truth. I still have my diesel Jeep for towing the travel trailer or off-roading. It hardly gets driven anymore unless I'm doing one of those two things; I think I've put less than 1,000 miles on it since getting the M3LR in September. Probably will change a bit once spring rolls around and I start taking the trailer out more.
I like the old phrase, hp is how fast you hit the fence, torque is how much of the fence you take with you 😁 . I've had cars with high hp, but low torque and high hp and high torque. It's much easier to drive something with alot of torque around town, high revving NAs sound good, but they are comically slow at low revs.

Agreed on the ”tough act to follow” part. I’ve been upgrading to faster and faster things as well. I came to the M3P from a 4WD Cupra that did 4,9s 0-100km/h stock and I had a tune on it that made it really haul ass.

The potential paths forward for me after M3P are Model S LR or Plaid - hate that there is no Model S Performance that would sit in between…the S LR is supposed to keep pulling better at high speeds where the M3P struggles so at the end of the day it may be enough. Another option is to get an M3P again.
From here you need your pilot license to keep gaining in speed! But you wont get the acceleration!

Reactions: abioqaas
Interesting subject. Traded my Porsche 981 for the Tesla Model 3 RWD and was very impressed, and still am but the experience is just totally different. Drives great, love the instant torque, but can't really compete with the smiles per mile of the Porsche. It's our go to shopping/airport/trips to the beach car. Still looking forward to taking delivery of my Lotus Emira (if they ever start delivery in the US) by Q4 this year. The Tesla is a great car, but can't yet replace a true sports car, neither is it its purpose or expectations.
I'd love to hear your initial thoughts of your Emira when it actually gets delivered. It's on my short list of weekend cars. On paper it checks all the right boxes.

Absolutely. Unlike some past cars I really have no emotional attachment to this car but as a daily commuter it's fantastic as I never have to worry about hitting gas stations, scheduling oil changes and other ICE maintenance, etc. It's extremely good at being a drive it and forget it car.

Maybe I'm still in the honeymoon stage, but this car is much more than a soulless commuter to me...
I've never been in a car that puts a pit of g-force in your stomach at an instance notice like this car, it is crazy and hasn't gotten old .... I'm not a street racer by any means, but the other night we were heading out to dinner with the family as my son was home from college and a Mustang rolled up next to us at a light...I said "watch this, this dude is gonna try to get some".... sure enough the light turns green and he guns it...with in less than a second I blow by him in silence as his girlfriend sinks in her seat 😂 Not too many four door commuters could ever be this fun.😃

I have to say the M3P or even the M3LR are great daily drivers. I bought the M3LR for my wife and added acceleration boost. At the time it made a lot more sense than spending 8k more on the P and getting wheels she would just curb the snot out of. I got it so it wouldn't be too boring to drive when I was driving her car.

She hated the yoke in my S so most of the time when we are out as family with the kid it is in the 3LR. I like to drive it more in traffic than my S. It isn't a slouch in acceleration and isn't that much slower than the P off the line and on a roll it is pretty much dead even. Like all 3's and Y's though it does lay down after about 50 mph where the S just keeps pulling hard.

What has been interesting is that my wife has gradually been using more and more of the acceleration capabilities of the 3. When we first got it I set her profile to chill mode and mine to sport. Now here is on sport all the time. Before she might accelerate to 60 in about 8 seconds, she is now typically in the mid 5 second range when nobody is in front of her. Never in a thousand years would I think she would ever get to that point in enjoying the acceleration curve of the 3.

I will say that the linear acceleration is nice but at the same time a bit boring. We pretty much have gone all EV except for a diesel pickup. I like to ride motorcycles and have a HD LiveWire. It is pretty quick off the line but they limited the top speed to 115. So the rush is over pretty quick but around town it is great. When I am bit bored of the EV acceleration curve I take my Ducati or supercharged Kawasaki up through the gears and get that nice rush of boost building and then hitting the next gear, rinse and repeat, that EVs never give you.

Overall I am fully onboard EVs for 95% of my use. I'll always keep some ICE vehicle with a lot of power and manual gearbox as long as I can. EVs while fast, aren't as emotionally involving for me.

• Love
Reactions: c00sebookpro
I have to say the M3P or even the M3LR are great daily drivers. I bought the M3LR for my wife and added acceleration boost. At the time it made a lot more sense than spending 8k more on the P and getting wheels she would just curb the snot out of. I got it so it wouldn't be too boring to drive when I was driving her car.

She hated the yoke in my S so most of the time when we are out as family with the kid it is in the 3LR. I like to drive it more in traffic than my S. It isn't a slouch in acceleration and isn't that much slower than the P off the line and on a roll it is pretty much dead even. Like all 3's and Y's though it does lay down after about 50 mph where the S just keeps pulling hard.

What has been interesting is that my wife has gradually been using more and more of the acceleration capabilities of the 3. When we first got it I set her profile to chill mode and mine to sport. Now here is on sport all the time. Before she might accelerate to 60 in about 8 seconds, she is now typically in the mid 5 second range when nobody is in front of her. Never in a thousand years would I think she would ever get to that point in enjoying the acceleration curve of the 3.

I will say that the linear acceleration is nice but at the same time a bit boring. We pretty much have gone all EV except for a diesel pickup. I like to ride motorcycles and have a HD LiveWire. It is pretty quick off the line but they limited the top speed to 115. So the rush is over pretty quick but around town it is great. When I am bit bored of the EV acceleration curve I take my Ducati or supercharged Kawasaki up through the gears and get that nice rush of boost building and then hitting the next gear, rinse and repeat, that EVs never give you.

Overall I am fully onboard EVs for 95% of my use. I'll always keep some ICE vehicle with a lot of power and manual gearbox as long as I can. EVs while fast, aren't as emotionally involving for me.
I've been wanting to purchase the acceleration boost on my M3LR but I'm too cheap. If you had it to do over again, would you?

I've been wanting to purchase the acceleration boost on my M3LR but I'm too cheap. If you had it to do over again, would you?
I bought it on the first M3LR and again on my second M3LR. I'm not saying it's going to change your life and you will soon get used to the speed and it will feel normal pretty quick. It sure is fun though, and at the time I bought my second M3LR it was way cheaper than getting the M3P.

Reactions: c00sebookpro
I bought it on the first M3LR and again on my second M3LR. I'm not saying it's going to change your life and you will soon get used to the speed and it will feel normal pretty quick. It sure is fun though, and at the time I bought my second M3LR it was way cheaper than getting the M3P.
That tells me everything I need to know. I will definitely purchase it at some point this year, especially since I'm keeping the car for a long time. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited:
Reactions: 804son
Absolutely. Unlike some past cars I really have no emotional attachment to this car but as a daily commuter it's fantastic as I never have to worry about hitting gas stations, scheduling oil changes and other ICE maintenance, etc. It's extremely good at being a drive it and forget it car.
This has me really amped for delivery this week!!!