Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the Model S HVAC system been upgraded over time?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA
Does anyone know for certain whether or not, and if so how, the Model S HVAC system might have been upgraded over time?
We all know that Tesla does frequent improvements without telling us, ranging from minor to possibly more significant. But I wonder if the HVAC system has been improved from when I got my Model S (built in late August 2015) to the present. the only change I recall hearing about was the addition of the HEPA filter, first as an option and now as standard equipment.
The reason i ask is that I am driving a 2018 75D loaner while my car is in the shop, and the air conditioner is terrific. It cools the car much more quickly than mine ever has, and seems to provide much more air flow than mine does. It is almost like stepping into a walk-in refrigerator!
So, does anyone -- perhaps someone who has owned more than one Model S over that period -- know if the system has been improved, particularly the cooling capacity?
My guess is that the large HEPA filter necessitated a larger fan, and that a larger compressor might have been installed at the same time. Just guessing....