Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the quality of Tesla service gone into the toilet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My experience has been that the SC is under staffed / overbooked. I had a DU replaced and they didn't even have loaners so they rented me an ICE car. A few days later my TACC / AP stopped working and it was going to be at least 3 weeks before they could look at it. My SC has a lot of really nice people but Tesla needs to figure out how to handle the volume. The volume will only continue to increase and I'd expect the older vehicles will require more maintenance at an already unsustainable rate.

I have to go by the service center in Syosset, NY Monday for what could be a simple fix or a really serious issue that could cause a fire.
I called yesterday and was told best appt. is 4 weeks. I understand they are busy and it is not much longer than dealerships but when I get the alert "pull over for your safety" I get a little worried. This happpened while it was parked at a SC. W/O getting into details my S would not charge. I am going Monday to service center SC and expect the same result, at that time I will ask someone to look at what I am talking about. I will update forum.

I have had nothing but good experiences with the service center and ranger service. I have used the ranger service to add a second onboard charger and center console. I have used the service center in Dallas for scheduled maintenance. My experiences with Tesla service has been nothing but positive, but I know positive experiences do not receive the attention that perceived negative ones do.

St. Louis service center has been nothing but awesome every time I have used them. As a lifetime BMW guy, the Tesla experience has been light years ahead of any BMW service I have been apart of. I wonder if we are all a bit spoiled with early fantastic service, and now that there are more cars, things are coming a bit back to center. Either way, nothing but kudos for the St. Louis crew!!

Service appointments in the Bay Area are now being scheduled with a one month wait ... the model 3 will be the last straw next year. :cool:
Same delay at the Costa Mesa service center. Have had our S for almost 2 years. Service appointment went from 7 days to a month. Problems have been scheduled immediately. However, this time when I needed yearly service including 2 semi serious issues the wait is one month.
I appreciate Tesla is increasing superchargers in preparation for the 3 but what about service centers.

Just had the MD service center tech reach out to me on TMC to inform me he actually makes regular trips to Richmond and can do a lot of regular servicing remotely. Just scheduled my 37.5k service for Oct. 12. If anything, at least in my area, they're finding ways to get to more customers not less...

I think you'd be surprised. The average shop these days deal with hybrid vehicles all the time, so they're already used to dealing with the high voltage system and electric motors, The Tesla is even easier as they have no engine or transmission to deal with.
The only reason they don't want to touch them now is they can't get parts or information, make those available and they'd happily work on any vehicle.
I dunno - I know someone who froze a cell in his C-Max Energi, which was still under warranty (not sure any are off-warranty yet), and had to have it towed 150 miles because no closer Ford dealer (including several large ones who did sell that exact model) was willing to work on the HV system. Are independent shops better than this?

I used to use a really great independent mechanic, but when we bought a Prius he wistfully expressed to me that he thought hybrids were fascinating but it was too late in his career for him to try to pick up a whole new set of skills. The kid who worked for him, though a competent wrench-turner and by no means a dull knife -- I have yet to meet a dumb, competent mechanic, and I really kind of doubt there are any -- just didn't seem ambitious enough to step up either.

But, Tesla missed an opportunity to sell me a center console and charge me for installation, and I am getting pretty annoyed about the sunroof.

Though there are still bright spots (like the immediate fix for the horn/frunk problem) I would say it's true -- the level of attention to detail and the quality of the service operation has gone down.

They've worked this out -- sunroof repair scheduled for Tuesday, with a loaner. And they've been very nice about it. Yes, I had to be the squeaky wheel here and folks from the mothership in California got involved. But I've been through that experience with other car companies too, and I'll tell you, though whatever I was griping about got dealt with, the people on the ground at the local stealerships sure didn't make it quick or easy. Again Tesla comes through and just does it a little better.

I guess the question is, will they be able to maintain this approach of holding some capacity in reserve to address "exceptions" when they have 10X to 20X as many cars on the road? Or get the wait times some have reported here down low enough that the number of exceptions requiring intervention drops? Only time will tell.

If they could find a way to work with and certify a meaningful number of trusted, independent shops to handle work as cars come off-warranty, it does seem like that would help; and it might give them a way to manage overflow situations as well.

For my Model X door seal failure, IMHO, putting a non-damaging tape on the top of the falcon wing door edge to prevent water from entering would be a suggested work around if the vehicle must be used in the rain. Just don't open the falcon wing on that side!

Another solution is easier. Leave the X parked in the garage until the new door seal arrives. The Escalade will be driven instead.

I
I've always raved about my Service Center. Before the Model X deliveries, they still did valet service, even if it wasn't officially supported. They were responsive and proactive. The service exceeded my experience at Lexus and Acura service centers in the years prior. In the last 6 months or so, everything has changed. I email for an appointment and nobody responds. Weeks later, I follow up and they put me at the back of the queue. Communication is near zero. My X has been in service for 16 days, as of today, and there's no ETA on when it'll be home. A good number of those days it was sitting in the parking lot with the liftgate open. The battery ran down (I'm assuming because of the liftgate being open) and I had to contact them to get them to charge it.

I don't really blame them. I think it's a resource problem. These are the same people who provided excellent service under reasonable load. They're just buried. Something definitely needs to be done because if I bought my S today and wound up in this service environment, I'd be terribly disappointed. New customers are getting a terrible look at what Tesla service could, should, and used to be.
i was in the same boat. SC had my MX for more than 2 weeks. I checked my iPhone app regularly, and noticed that my car didn't move. It was sitting out back, collecting dust and losing range. Granted, I was pretty low on power when I got there, but still, they let my car drop wayyyyy down before even starting to work on it. I could have been driving it the first week, they had it. It wasn't not functional. They did however give me a loaner a MS, but cmon guys at SC.. The customer service is lacking from some of them.

I've spoken to many service guys at my local SC, they are all overworked. Some of them arrive at 8am and don't leave until well after midnight. Tesla needs to hire more employees and probably better management to keep things running smoothly.

Stories like this make me think another S is in my future, not the X I actually want. I've had 14,000 trouble free miles with my 2016 S and I need a second Tesla within a year - the X has me drooling but I'm so afraid of those FWD doors, automatically shutting front doors, etc. With service wait times like they are now I think maybe the X will have to wait a few more years until Tesla gets every last kink ironed out of it.

Reactions: davidc18
With the advent of Model3 there is a new opportunity for TM:

Setup new service franchises just for the Model3.
Setup new Tesla Service Centers just for the M3.
Certify private repair shops to work on the M3.

The beauty here is the complete lack of baggage of the Tesla legacy products.

And hopefully the M3 itself will be simplified, modularized to the max, and emerge
from the factory in such perfect form as to belie the need for its very real set of built-in
diagnostics. And serious DIYers can become Certified themselves for a cost of
something like 2 years of annual service.
--

Reactions: SSD420
With the advent of Model3 there is a new opportunity for TM:

Setup new service franchises just for the Model3.
Setup new Tesla Service Centers just for the M3.
Certify private repair shops to work on the M3.

The beauty here is the complete lack of baggage of the Tesla legacy products.

And hopefully the M3 itself will be simplified, modularized to the max, and emerge
from the factory in such perfect form as to belie the need for its very real set of built-in
diagnostics. And serious DIYers can become Certified themselves for a cost of
something like 2 years of annual service.
--
Good luck!

Reactions: Chopr147
I'll be honest the day I saw those FWD on the MX I knew the SvCs would have issues keeping up. I was already seeing the delays in getting my car into service at the two SvCs here in Atlanta even before the MX dropped... The writing was on the wall. Let's hope the MIII is perfect off the line. And for GOD SAKES make the Model Y simple (no FWD's please!)
The car is advanced enough on its own without having to make such complicated doors for very little benefit over traditional doors.

Reactions: Krypto Kat
I'll be honest the day I saw those FWD on the MX I knew the SvCs would have issues keeping up. I was already seeing the delays in getting my car into service at the two SvCs here in Atlanta even before the MX dropped... The writing was on the wall. Let's hope the MIII is perfect off the line. And for GOD SAKES make the Model Y simple (no FWD's please!)
The car is advanced enough on its own without having to make such complicated doors for very little benefit over traditional doors.
But overall I love my FWDs and wouldn't trade them in for 4 model 3's!