Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has the rear camera view been updated?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like the rear camera view has changed with the latest model Y update - seems like now it's more pulled back/fish eye view than it was prior. I can now see the upper right and left corners of the view showing the car body whereas before the rear camera view showed purely "view" with no corners of the car body in the upper left and right corners.
Has anyone else noticed this, or has it always been that way and I'm just not remembering correctly?

Reactions: Cavity
Our is acting very strange. I wqA Bcking up and the cmera showed the rear view. When I put car in D, back camera remained. I could not get it to leave. It blocked the screen so I could not see the map. When I got home, I plugged in the charge cable and the back up view finally left sna I saw the charge stqtus. Once charged, now my "Y" which was alway red in the screen ( my Y is red) suddenly showed up white?? WHAT???

Maybe it's my imagination, but it seems like the rear camera view has changed with the latest model Y update - seems like now it's more pulled back/fish eye view than it was prior. I can now see the upper right and left corners of the view showing the car body whereas before the rear camera view showed purely "view" with no corners of the car body in the upper left and right corners.
Has anyone else noticed this, or has it always been that way and I'm just not remembering correctly?
Noticed the same today. No doubt, it definitely changed.

Our is acting very strange. I wqA Bcking up and the cmera showed the rear view. When I put car in D, back camera remained. I could not get it to leave. It blocked the screen so I could not see the map. When I got home, I plugged in the charge cable and the back up view finally left sna I saw the charge stqtus. Once charged, now my "Y" which was alway red in the screen ( my Y is red) suddenly showed up white?? WHAT???
I don't know why the rear camera view appeared when it did for you, but having that up on the screen is not in itself unusual. You can bring this up anytime while in P or D drive mode using screen controls; I usually voice-activate it by saying "Show Cameras" or "Show Rear Camera".

The default and initial screen view of this is the big rear-camera view and below it, smaller left and right side Repeater-camera views. At least in prior versions, you could use your finger to slide down to hide the Repeaters l, up again to restore, and I believe you could hide the Rear view to show only the sides. Swipe all the way down or voice command " Hide Cameras" to get rid of them.

I'm not telling you that your system is fine and you don't have a bug; I just wasn't sure from your description that you didn't inadvertently activate the feature that has always been there. I do vaguely recall a time or two, months ago, when there was an unexpected persistence of the rear camera view. At the time I thought I might have accidentally touched the screen somehow. But it hasn't been a big problem and I haven't seen it recently.

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't really sure it was different than before. Now that you guys are discussing it. I guess I wasn't imagining a change in the wide-angle perspective.

I've thought that if anything, the rear view was already very wide angle. It's good for parking, but not very good as a rear-view mirror image while driving (which I I've tried to use because the optical rear mirror view through the back is so lousy). The rear camera image makes even a tailgater look like he's pretty far away, as more than half the image is the immediate couple of feet behind the car.

Possibly they had some user complaints or some concern about liability from people who had fender benders in the parking lot. Making the view wider sounds safer, but the associated magnification reduction, and even more perspective distortion, is not.

I posted a pic from my backup camera in another thread. Since I’m in the FSDb program in on an older version (2022.12.3.20) so you can compare.

On 2021.xx software, the view definitely included the overhang of the trunk lid in the corners. Quite a bit of it.
I remember watching plenty of Sentry videos, trying to figure out what triggered it, only to see parades of raindrops moving around on that edge.

I noticed this a couple of weeks ago, but I wasn't really sure it was different than before. Now that you guys are discussing it. I guess I wasn't imagining a change in the wide-angle perspective.

I've thought that if anything, the rear view was already very wide angle. It's good for parking, but not very good as a rear-view mirror image while driving (which I I've tried to use because the optical rear mirror view through the back is so lousy). The rear camera image makes even a tailgater look like he's pretty far away, as more than half the image is the immediate couple of feet behind the car.

Possibly they had some user complaints or some concern about liability from people who had fender benders in the parking lot. Making the view wider sounds safer, but the associated magnification reduction, and even more perspective distortion, is not.
Just picked up my new MYP today. Same thing with the rear camera. I find it annoying. Would prefer to see an unobstructed view.

Reactions: JHCCAZ