Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has this happened to any of you 2 Tesla owners?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We currently have a 2018 model S and just recently my wife purchased a 2023 Model X. When I walk out to our two car garage with my key fob it activates my door handles as it should AND it ALSO opens my wife’s model X charge point. If I lock my car with my Key fob it does not lock her charge port so it only works to open it. How is that corrected. It’s annoying. is this something a Ranger can correct?

TIA

Alex

We currently have a 2018 model S and just recently my wife purchased a 2023 Model X. When I walk out to our two car garage with my key fob it activates my door handles as it should AND it ALSO opens my wife’s model X charge point. If I lock my car with my Key fob it does not lock her charge port so it only works to open it. How is that corrected. It’s annoying. is this something a Ranger can correct?
TIA
Alex
The fobs between the 2018 and the 2023 are entirely different tech, and not compatible. But beyond that, a fob is always tied to a single vehicle. So if you want to operate one car and another, you will need two fobs. Now If you had two 2023 vehicles, you could have both installed in the tesla App, have control over both cars separately using your phone as a key. Your 2018 does not have phone as a key capability.

Would you really want your car to open with somebody else’s key? I don’t think I would.

TIA

Alex
Are you sure the Model X's charge port door open because you were carrying your Model S key fob, or maybe it opens because you unlocked your charging handle from your Model S? When you press that button on the charging handle, the range of reach is pretty big. It could open other (unlocked) Tesla charge door 5 or 6 feet away. Because you probably also have your phone on you with the Tesla app with both cars, the new Model X is unlocked when you are in the garage.

Are you sure the Model X's charge port door open because you were carrying your Model S key fob, or maybe it opens because you unlocked your charging handle from your Model S? When you press that button on the charging handle, the range of reach is pretty big. It could open other Tesla charge door 5 or 6 feet away.
These days it should only open the charge port if the car is unlocked, which is usually the one you are carrying the key for (assuming it works at all, mine model X doesn’t, I always have to smack the door to get it to open).

These days it should only open the charge port if the car is unlocked, which is usually the one you are carrying the key for (assuming it works at all, mine model X doesn’t, I always have to smack the door to get it to open).
The Model X would be unlocked if OP has his phone on him. The new Model X is like Model 3/Y, auto unlock when phone is nearby.

And I think the Model S is parked on the driver side of Model X. That would make the Model S charging wand only about 6 feet from the Model X charging port. If the Model S is parked on the passenger side of the Model X, OP is going to experience another problem. Every time he pull into the garage, the Model X's passenger door will auto present because OP is carrying the phone and the Model X would think OP is standing right next to the door with the phone key.

Last edited:
Let me clarify a few things.

It is my understanding that the technology in 2018 and 2023 key fob programming are completely different.

Non the less when I press my 2018 Key Fob to present my S door handles to open my doors it also opens our 2023 Model X charge port.

I was not trying to open my S charge port so it’s not the charger or that particular frequency.
My wife’s car is parked on the passenger side of the S. I also did not have a key card or phone app for the X on me when this occurred.

I wouldn’t think it has anything to do with the fact that I have both cars in one app. Because I did not have my phone app. (key) when it occurred. The way we set up our app is that I merely added the x to my S app and my wife as another driver.