TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Has Uber won the race to the self driving car?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by Snerruc, Sep 21, 2016.

1. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

like many people I watched the media circus over Uber starting self driving car service in Pittsburg. It has been quite a few days and the media hasn't been able to gin up a follow up about a car or person being hit or a car getting lost. I know they have engineers riding along, but it still is impressive. Also I noticed their "hats" on several different models. This indicates Uber has a system that retrofits on a lot of existing models. Eventually the government might insist on a standard, universal system ( anyone remember the mandate for sealed beam headlights?). Right now Uber would be in the lead.

• Funny x 1
  2. Runarbt

Runarbt Member

I really dont think Uber is in the lead of anything. :)

They have a fleet driving within Pittsburg. They have engineers which have to take over and drive the car regulary when it gets stuck. From what I have read, this happens very frequently.

They do not have any fleet learning(?), and _veery_ limited driving hours/miles compared to Tesla.

And retrofit? I really wouldnt say their solution "fit" any car. :-D

3. kort677

kort677 Active Member

please don't buy into the BS media hype because we are at least 10 years away from seeing fully autonomous cars being reality.

• Like x 1
  4. BluestarE3

BluestarE3 Active Member

5. Snerruc

Snerruc Member

Pittsburg or Pittsburgh so what. I live thousands of miles from both, and there's not enough k's in either.

6. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

So, no, Uber isn't in the lead. Uber took a research and development project that requires two engineers per car to monitor/drive and hyped it to sound like they had autonomous car. They don't, the engineers have to take over frequently. It's just PR buzz while they do R&D