Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Uber won the race to the self driving car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Snerruc

Unqualified Doofus
Apr 16, 2016
Palm Bay
like many people I watched the media circus over Uber starting self driving car service in Pittsburg. It has been quite a few days and the media hasn't been able to gin up a follow up about a car or person being hit or a car getting lost. I know they have engineers riding along, but it still is impressive. Also I noticed their "hats" on several different models. This indicates Uber has a system that retrofits on a lot of existing models. Eventually the government might insist on a standard, universal system ( anyone remember the mandate for sealed beam headlights?). Right now Uber would be in the lead.

• Funny
Reactions: Yuri_G
I really dont think Uber is in the lead of anything. :)

They have a fleet driving within Pittsburg. They have engineers which have to take over and drive the car regulary when it gets stuck. From what I have read, this happens very frequently.

They do not have any fleet learning(?), and _veery_ limited driving hours/miles compared to Tesla.

And retrofit? I really wouldnt say their solution "fit" any car. :-D

So, no, Uber isn't in the lead. Uber took a research and development project that requires two engineers per car to monitor/drive and hyped it to sound like they had autonomous car. They don't, the engineers have to take over frequently. It's just PR buzz while they do R&D