Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has uncorking made other owners jaded?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was a lucky beneficiary of the recent 75D uncorking which brought the 0-60 time down to 4.2 seconds. While I could not be happier, I started wondering whether 90D and 100D owners felt any resentment? This question stems from analyzing the 0-60 times across the Model S family: Tesla Model S - Wikipedia

To my surprise, the uncorked 75D 0-60 time is equivalent to or superior to pretty much all Model S's except the Performance + Dual motor variants - which generally cost substantially more. Personally, I place far more importance on performance than range (within reason of course) - and as a result feel like I really came out ahead.

There's clearly a lot of enthusiasm across the Tesla community from the uncorking news but are there folks who feel otherwise?

• Funny
Reactions: Navin
i would say that many 75d and 60d people will be/are disappointed for sure when one car the same month of build is eligible and another is not yet a 6 month earlier 75d is eligible as well as 2 months after their ineligible 75d....its very haphazard and really needs a real honest explanation.. Sure the 90/100 people will be bummed but who knows there may be something in the works for them too..lol...

I bought my 90D for the range, not the acceleration. The 0-60 is fun, but I would be just as happy if it wasn't as quick. I still have 298 miles at 100% charge, so I would only be upset if the 75D suddenly got a lot more range. And even then not much. I'm happy with what I've got, there are Teslas with features my car doesn't have and the big battery cars have more range. Oh well, my car is still better than anything else available out there.

Within the last 2-4 years ago there was a P model and P**D models as well. The P models has the 4.2 0-60.

Through advances in tech (one assumes), things have gotten better and more efficient. Now in 2017 you have 75D with the same performance as a "P" model.

So for those with a P model, not much reason to be resentful because AT THE TIME, it was the latest and greatest in acceleration and tech. Things change at such a rapid pace that now you can have a 75D with a 4.2 0-60.

Which makes me wonder that maybe it seems possible to further push performance on the 90D/100D Models built within the last year and those with the new drive units and give those folks "Insane" mode.

Reactions: selfbp
I purchased my 90D for the range as well rather than its performance since 75D at the time of my purchase had the same 0-60 time. I don't regret that decision even if there's no chance of uncorking to bring the 4.2 sec time even lower. I'm glad 75D owners are getting the free uncorking service. This should be seen as a great thing by fellow owners who don't get to reap the same benefits rather than being resentful. We're lucky to be driving a Tesla and enjoy the constant support of the company's free OTA updates. The only ones who should be feeling jaded are ICE drivers who don't know what it feels like to drive a Tesla and to already have their cars be obsolete even before buying their car.

Last edited:
Within the last 2-4 years ago there was a P model and P**D models as well. The P models has the 4.2 0-60.

Through advances in tech (one assumes), things have gotten better and more efficient. Now in 2017 you have 75D with the same performance as a "P" model.

So for those with a P model, not much reason to be resentful because AT THE TIME, it was the latest and greatest in acceleration and tech. Things change at such a rapid pace that now you can have a 75D with a 4.2 0-60.

Which makes me wonder that maybe it seems possible to further push performance on the 90D/100D Models built within the last year and those with the new drive units and give those folks "Insane" mode.
The distinction here is that that current and legacy 75D's have comparable performance to current and legacy 90D/100D. The model of bigger battery equates to more range *and* performance is no longer true - it only equates to more range. Now of course this is ignoring the Performance (P) variants. I just find this really interesting for some reason.

I agree with you, I think Tesla will untap more performance out of the 90D/100D's.

Reactions: No ICE and Bebop
I bought the 100d for range and performance, delivered this June just before the new drive units hit. After driving what I believe is the greatest automobile to date, I felt that I appreciate the incremental performance more than the added range, as I never even came close to running out of charge. I do find that with this EV I would floor the accelerator at least once a day where I never floor my ICE car because it seems so loud and wasteful. So not only is it faster, I actually feel like using the acceleration.

Would I buy the 100d over the 75d now, definitely not. Not in an S, but likely if it was the X. However, I am not sad that others got a performance boost as it help elevate Tesla and EV in general. I just smoked a Subaru WRX STI off the line today with all my toddler seats and all, (he was revving it hard at the red light) and I hope that would make him consider a EV for his next purchase. Now, if Tesla would give us 90/100d guys just a bit say 4.2-4.0 or something, I would be happy to accept as well.

Reactions: BBB4000 and croman
I bought the 100d for range and performance, delivered this June just before the new drive units hit. After driving what I believe is the greatest automobile to date, I felt that I appreciate the incremental performance more than the added range, as I never even came close to running out of charge. I do find that with this EV I would floor the accelerator at least once a day where I never floor my ICE car because it seems so loud and wasteful. So not only is it faster, I actually feel like using the acceleration.

Would I buy the 100d over the 75d now, definitely not. Not in an S, but likely if it was the X. However, I am not sad that others got a performance boost as it help elevate Tesla and EV in general. I just smoked a Subaru WRX STI off the line today with all my toddler seats and all, (he was revving it hard at the red light) and I hope that would make him consider a EV for his next purchase. Now, if Tesla would give us 90/100d guys just a bit say 4.2-4.0 or something, I would be happy to accept as well.

But officer, I was advertising :)

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity