Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has Voice command improved a whole lot recently?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems the same to me. About half the time my system doesn't acknowledge I even voiced a command so I have to let it time out then try again (sometimes multiple times before it works). I wish the service wasn't dependent on the internet connection, which is what I think causes most of my troubles.

I find it much better than a couple years ago. I essentially gave up using it. I recently tried it again and was pleasantly surprised.
I did find an interesting bug (reported to Tesla) - if I say "Drive to work", the nav searches for businesses called "work". But if I say "Navigate to work", it properly pulls up directions to my saved work location.

I can say Phone "name" or Dial "name" - and works almost every time finding contact in address book
Play "artist" works pretty well too, even finding ones you would expect the system to find tricky - eg Play Anathema
Tried a "Navigate to nearest restaurant" last night and it pulled up a bunch of local restaurants on the Nav screen

As I said, seems a whole load better now, and just as importantly I don't have to shout at it which is what I had to do before to get any success at all.

current fw 17.11.10 in case this is relevant, though I dont know at which point it improved.

(browser also seems bit faster than before too, but still only marginally usable).

I have had very good experience with voice commands compared to Audi. So far the addresses and POI's I've asked for showed up correctly, it had some trouble with a few names in my contact list so I changed it to shorter easier to pronounce and understand names and now it gets them right everytime, artist and song search seems to work quite well also. Atleast coming from Audi I think its definitely better and faster to act on the results as well

I haven't used it much but yesterday I used it to navigate to a car wash. I didn't now the name of the establishment but knew what street it was on. So I said "Navigate to car wash on x street". It found the name of the car wash and plotted the course there. Impressive. I'll start using it more frequently.

Reactions: Tomnook
Like others have said, a couple of years ago it was useless and I stopped even trying. Recently it's been pretty solid. I can say "Drive to X on Y", where X is a store and Y is a street, and it'll not only understand every word now, but also filter down X to the exact one I wanted. I also haven't had to shout or repeat myself in quite some time.

Like others have stated, a couple years ago it was hit and miss. But now, it is pretty much spot on every time.

Just the other day I had passengers in the car who were talking loudly, and I used it to navigate. The folks continued talking as I voiced my command, so I thought it wouldn't get the command with the multiple conversations going on. Nope - It worked perfectly. I'm not sure how it figured out the command vs. the other conversations, but it worked. I would say it definitely has improved 10x over since it debuted.

Another thing - when searching for songs, it will always spell the artist or song name perfectly, even if the artist name or song name is obscure, or spelled in a weird way. So it must be using some fancy processing to convert phonetic sounds to the real artist names prior to showing the command on the screen. That's cool.

I still don't trust it for making cell calls. I don't want to accidentally call some random person in my immense contact list at 7am on a Saturday.

On my first road trip (December), I told it "Call 9-1-1" ...and it didn't know the number. Certainly if I had voiced that command directly to the phone, it would have known how to dial that. (I had seen a pretty bad crash, and it was unsafe to pull over at the scene.) So I had to fiddle with the phone directly to make the call, since I generally don't have voice commands turned on since I got tired of it activating randomly ("I'm not talking to you!")

So yes, Teslas "don't know the number for 9-1-1" -- or know enough to send a number request to the phone. I found that morbidly funny.

(Turned out it was in a cell dead area and I couldn't get through anyway, and I saw emergency vehicles heading up the hill toward the scene before I did get coverage, so clearly someone had gotten the message through.)

Another thing - when searching for songs, it will always spell the artist or song name perfectly, even if the artist name or song name is obscure, or spelled in a weird way. So it must be using some fancy processing to convert phonetic sounds to the real artist names prior to showing the command on the screen. That's cool

Fancy processing = sends your voice recording to Google, and Google transcribes it in the cloud and sends it back to you. It will have a large vocabulary of popular culture items and whatever the 4chan Internet prank of the day is.

Unfortunately I don't think it sends your list of contacts up into the cloud (for better or worse) so it's likely not going to be as good at understand the name of people.

• Informative
Reactions: Bound466
Turned out it was in a cell dead area

I think it needs cell service to operate, so that might be why you had an issue. If you tried it again in a better cell coverage area, then it may have worked.

I have very poor AT&T service where I park at work. That makes for 50/50 performance on the voice commands. Which is why I wish there were some built in "basic" voice commands that always worked.

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
Has anyone gotten voice to "Navigate to someone in the phones contact list." If I click on the phone on the screen, I can select and navigate to the address that way, and by putting the location in the Calendar. I may be missing something, but if it can call a contact in the phone, why can't it navigate to a contact address in the phone?

Reactions: Bound466