Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has you driven with falcon wing doors open and had an accident?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have now twice driven out of my garage with the falcon door open causing significant damage. My fault totally and for that I will always feel shame.

But I was wondering if there could be a feature added (OTA) that would require the car to be in Park before allowing the rear falcon doors to open. I can’t think of a reason why you would want to drive with them open. It could be a toggle switch similar to rear child safety locks for windows. Please don’t disregard this I think it would help a lot of people with their X’s.

But I was wondering if there could be a feature added (OTA) that would require the car to be in Park before allowing the rear falcon doors to open. I can’t think of a reason why you would want to drive with them open. It could be a toggle switch similar to rear child safety locks for windows. Please don’t disregard this I think it would help a lot of people with their X’s.
NO! There are enough warnings when you try to drive with any of the doors open. Pay attention. I am not sure how you can do this without seeing the large warning on the screen that the doors are open.

Reactions: brainhouston
I have now twice driven out of my garage with the falcon door open causing significant damage. My fault totally and for that I will always feel shame.

I am fine with making this a selection in the profile, but I do not want it enforced. To me it matters when doing pick-ups and drop-offs at school. I want to be able to drive up, open/close the doors and drive off. Having to go into Park adds an extra step and extra time.

The Chrysler Pacifica does not allow the rear sliding doors to open unless in park. There are a few threads on the Pacifica forum of people complaining about this. Why? Because when they are in line picking up their kids, they can't simply open the door to let them in. They have to put the van in park. Now is it the end of the world, it's not, but just goes to show that either options will have its detractors.

I am fine with making this a selection in the profile, but I do not want it enforced. To me it matters when doing pick-ups and drop-offs at school. I want to be able to drive up, open/close the doors and drive off. Having to go into Park adds an extra step and extra time.

I could see that mindset if you were the getaway car driver for a bank job, but you should put the car in park anyway when loading kids. And it just ain't that much effort. Just my $.02 :)

I could see that mindset if you were the getaway car driver for a bank job, but you should put the car in park anyway when loading kids. And it just ain't that much effort. Just my $.02 :)
Certainly conservative advice. One difference for me is that the new models are always in Hold mode so even if you let off of the brake they won't move. Yes, I suppose you could stab the accelerator accidentally. But I already feel self-conscious opening the FWDs in the pick-up line, I'd rather get them moving as quickly as possible.

Further, one of the things that I love about Tesla is that they don't nanny you. One time we rented a Nissan Maxima and it wouldn't let us program the navigation while moving. My wife was in the passenger seat doing the programming so it was completely safe. But no, I had to pull off of the highway and come to a complete stop before we could enter our new desired destination. I will never buy a Nissan (or any car) that behaves this way.

So IMO it is a slippery slope for a manufacturer to start dictating how you must use your vehicle.
I would like an option for the kids that you cannot get in or out unless the car is in Park. Same for Trunk. You want to override it, fine, your decision.
If your kids are too little and/or can't be trusted to not open the doors when it's unsafe, you should engage the child lock feature. Then you can open the FWD from the main screen when it's safe.

Reactions: mxnym