Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Has your garage door attacked your car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I saw a post or two saying that people had had their homelinked garage door try to decapitate their Tesla. Ours is only a couple weeks old, and Homelink is working great. But now I am a little concerned. Is this an extremely rare situation, or do I need to be worried?
As always, thanks in advance for your input.

Had mine for 4 mos and never been "attacked" or anything close. I wonder if they set up Homelink correctly, or they back out very slowly? I have noticed that since 8.0 my Homelink has worked flawlessly. Before, it would always open, but not always close.

Reactions: scottf200
That's what I had seen so far. Seems perfect. We only had the car a few days before 8.0 installed. Closing seems to be related to distance rather than time. Once I got a message saying it would close in 20' after we paused just outside the garage for a minute. As we continued aft, it did just that. I also like the confirming chime you get in 8.0 of homelink engaging.
Thanks, I will rest easier.

The issue to watch out for is when you do something different than just pulling in or pulling out each day. For example, lets say you have a decently long driveway. You pull into the driveway and stop just short of the GPS trigger. Your garage is open as you putter around doing garage stuff. Then you decide later to move the car from the driveway to the garage. As you roll forward you hit the trigger and the garage starts to close as you approach. Remember garage doors are a "one button" solution -- if its open it will close and if its closed it will open.

The new chime will definitely help alleviate this issue. Prior to that is was a silent danger.

Reactions: PtG62901
Can the proximity based opener send different signals for "open" vs. "close"?

I built my own garage door controller board so I can put open and close on 2 different channels if I want - but not sure if the car supports this?

I have had it since the feature came out and have never had this happen though I suspect I could if I did something dumb like starting to drive off and then drive back into the garage after the door started closing.

I adjusted my obstruction sensor's height higher to have peace of mind.
I did this well.

After the garage door hinge scraped my bumper because I did not pull quite far enough forward, I adjusted the sensor so it is at bumper height. It has saved me at least once since then.

If you are concerned about very small kids or pets going under the raised beam, you can use use mirrors to form a zigzag beam.

Can the proximity based opener send different signals for "open" vs. "close"?

I built my own garage door controller board so I can put open and close on 2 different channels if I want - but not sure if the car supports this?
I wish all garage door systems had discrete open and close controls (and all electronic equipment for that mater). Toggles without state feedback are annoying when doing automation.

I don't think there is a way to config the Tesla Home link to close a different garage door than it opens when you arrive.

Reactions: scottf200
I'm embarrassed to admit that my garage door closed on my trunk when backing into my garage door, but this was a unique case where I was coming back from vacation and doing vehicle swap-a-roo with a friend's car and didn't realize the HomeLink was triggered.

Unfortunately, my tires weren't far back enough to trigger the garage door sensor but thankfully(?) it hit the trunk and I had Xpel wrapped around all painted surfaces. The Xpel did its job perfectly and it only cost me having to get the trunk rewrapped.

I had recently sent an email to Tesla about the situation, not to ask for anything, but to tell the story and request that they present an audible sound when the HomeLink is triggered. I was very happy to see they included that in 8.0, whether it had anything to do with me, but it was probably other owners who had encountered a similar issue.

That encounter, though, had trained me to always look out for my garage when coming or going, or maybe moving my car around within the GPS location, to ensure everything is operating as expected. Its just too bad that the garage door doesn't provide a status of whether it is opened or closed.

I love the suggestions provided earlier in the thread about moving the sensor higher up. That would have prevented the whole thing from happening and now I'm wondering why I didn't have it higher up in the first place.

I managed to get Homelink programmed. Pressing the button in the interface works as I expect.

My troubles stemmed from the garage door opener manual not using the term "Learn" to put in the right mode. Once I sorted it that out, it worked exactly as the instructions in the Tesla interface provided.

I did open the fronk, but it may not have been necessary. It wasn't working the first few times ... but now I believe because I wasn't in "Learn" mode on the garage door.

As I approach the house, the button (or "drop down menu" - if you will, presents itself making it convenient to press the button with 1 press and not 2 (1 to expose the option, 1 to do it.)

I am not using the Auto Open or Auto Close (yet) until I get the garage door safety sensor location moved. But, it's not horribly inconvenient to do it by hand since the button presents itself automatically.

I have a lot of home automation (Control-4) and am a big fan of these types of convenience features, but the garage door opener is a really dumb device without any actual awareness of what state it is.

I have a separate device for Control-4 (Card Access) which works around that and knows explicitly if it's open or closed. Unfortunately, I haven't found a way to integrate Homelink into Control-4 just yet, but I'm still looking at that. I do have the Control-4 Card Access remote which is programmed to the garage door and the "Welcome" home scene I built, but I still would have to carry around what is an ugly looking garage door opener to get that benefit.

While I'm at it, I really wish the Tesla had the Apple Carplay stuff. I'm not yet on 8.0 and look forward to see how things have changed for the (hopefully) better.

If my wife has already opened the garage door, my Tesla will send the open command when approaching the garage - which starts closing the door while I'm driving in. Fortunately the detector at the bottom of the door realizes my car is there - and reverses the door before it hits my car.

If the Tesla Homelink software would communicate with the MyQ (or equivalent) interface, the car's homelink software would be able to detect if the door was open or closed - and be sure not to send a command which would close the door, instead of opening it.

Are there any garage door systems which know whether the door is open and are workable to prevent an unintended action from being performed? Is the HomeLink functionality in a Tesla "smart" to know open or closed for an advanced garage door? I got the impression that it wasn't possible on either end, but would love to be wrong!

I had an incident where I was repositioning my X in the garage and unfortunately pulled out far enough that the door started to close as I was reversing back in. The door hit the glass on the rear hatch as apparently my door sensor is too low to detect the car until the tires pass it. The garage door has some gravel embedded on the bottom which appears to have scratched the glass. I will adjust this sensor and I suppose I could change the GPS location for the homelink so I need to be further out; however, the homelink can be unpredictable if the distance is too far away, i.e. the signal may not be detected and the door may not be closed.

Are there any garage door systems which know whether the door is open and are workable to prevent an unintended action from being performed? Is the HomeLink functionality in a Tesla "smart" to know open or closed for an advanced garage door? I got the impression that it wasn't possible on either end, but would love to be wrong!
Yes, MyQ by Liftmaster as mentioned by previous poster. The smartphone app shows the state of the garage door(s) opened or closed. I got it because you can set an alert so that if someone leaves the garage door open after x minutes it will txt you. Also remote close/open. Integration with MS would be nice but I think unlikely due to it being a proprietary system.

• Informative
Reactions: rfmurphy81
Yes, MyQ by Liftmaster as mentioned by previous poster. The smartphone app shows the state of the garage door(s) opened or closed. I got it because you can set an alert so that if someone leaves the garage door open after x minutes it will txt you. Also remote close/open. Integration with MS would be nice but I think unlikely due to it being a proprietary system.
Thanks for the note. I believe are third party services/sites like IFFT that can pick up the integration piece. Time to add this to my internet of things at home.