Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch or Notch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can see that the trunk doesn't include the glass, like regular sedans
Right. I think so too. I would have liked a hatch, but it really looks like a notchback. If it's a hatch, it hinges in front of the rear passenger's heads, which means the seal would be positively enormous and you could slam the trunk on the heads of your rear passengers... or smash their fingers in the hinge or in the seal above their doors. It has to be a normal trunk, I think.

Looks like a trunk not a lift gate, the the rear looks the same as the model S, but the glass stays put.
It's hard to tell from the angle on some of the pictures but it looks like there's a lot of glass in the way if it's just a regular trunk. Some cars are like that though but it's going to make it hard to get anything boxy in. The trunk top after the bottom of the glass looks very short.

Ouch. That looks like a somewhat impractical trunk. The glass hanging down is going to obstruct attempts to put things in the trunk. Also puts the glass in a rather fragile position with the trunk open -- someone's gonna break it as they attempt to shove a large solid object into the trunk and *wham* it's too tall and strikes the glass...

Anyway, this does give another reason for people to buy the S rather than the 3. (I use that hatchback routinely.)

Ouch. That looks like a somewhat impractical trunk. The glass hanging down is going to obstruct attempts to put things in the trunk. Also puts the glass in a rather fragile position with the trunk open -- someone's gonna break it as they attempt to shove a large solid object into the trunk and *wham* it's too tall and strikes the glass...

Anyway, this does give another reason for people to buy the S rather than the 3. (I use that hatchback routinely.)

This isn't an issue in the vast majority of sedans that are like this now?

Please point me to a sedan with a similar layout with nearly horizontal glass pointing at the person using the trunk. I've never seen one, but it may simply be due to the sort of cars people in this area buy.

...it's possible that the car structure actually extends past the glass underneath the trunk lid and it's less "fragile" than it looks. I'd still like to see it open!

Will the back seat fold flat?

I need to put (to lay on horizontally) at least one, best would be two, bicycles in the trunk, after removing the front wheel.

If you have a hatchback, a station wagon, or an SUV type of car, it is very easy to do so.

Note: I also use a roof rack, or a some kind of trunk-mounted bike rack, if I have some extra passengers,
but I cannot park and leave my car in the street, or enter in a garage to do shopping, then.

However, using a typical sedan, with a folding back seat, putting a bicycle in the trunk is very painful.
And trying to put two bicycles is almost impossible.

May be I should then keep my Tesla 3 deposit and transfer it to reserve a Tesla Y?

Looks like there are only two possible places for the hinges for the hatch, and it would either be a HUGE opening or a very small one
fFifclf.jpg

Will the back seat fold flat?

I need to put (to lay on horizontally) at least one, best would be two, bicycles in the trunk, after removing the front wheel.

If you have a hatchback, a station wagon, or an SUV type of car, it is very easy to do so.

Note: I also use a roof rack, or a some kind of trunk-mounted bike rack, if I have some extra passengers,
but I cannot park and leave my car in the street, or enter in a garage to do shopping, then.

However, using a typical sedan, with a folding back seat, putting a bicycle in the trunk is very painful.
And trying to put two bicycles is almost impossible.

May be I should then keep my Tesla 3 deposit and transfer it to reserve a Tesla Y?

yes. keep your deposit for as long as you can. I was told i can keep my deposit up until i actually take delivery of the car. so it would be stupid to not keep your spot in line until you see the final product. In the launch, Elon says you can fit a 7ft surfboard in there. This would be a clear statement that the seats do fold down.

I'm in agreement the lack of hatchback is a disappointment but it's not a deal breaker as I can still fit my golf clubs no problem and use another car for hauling things. There are also some benefits to a proper trunk like insulation between the cabin. Whenever I pick up pizza in my Model S, I throw it in the lower compartment in the trunk and the smell still permeates to the front. ;)

Reactions: WarpedOne