Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch or Notch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw what looked like someone at Jalopnik managed to grab a blurry pic of the trunk open. Looks like a regular trunk opening, but looks big enough to me now that I see it. Also looks like no rear window shelf, like most all trunk cars have, which I think is a good thing (though who knows, I can't see it well enough). I'll go ahead and give it a cautious thumbs up for now, even though I prefer hatchbacks like the S.

EDIT -- we are also still a ways from production. Hard to say still what exactly will be available come production time.

Last edited:
It's a bag. Take a close look at the front motor arrangement.

http://i.giphy.com/3o7WTGIK1w0k3IJiIo.gif

Well, I figured that's what I was looking at originally, but I've heard plenty of Model S owners complain that the frunk of a dual-motor S is basically useless outside of carrying a few grocery bags. So let's say I'm pleasantly surprised to see that much frunk space in a 3xxD!

I see Jalopnik still trying to find ways to hate on Tesla. heh
I don't agree. Jalopnik has been a lot more reasonable lately and a lot of the points made in that article is a quite valid for people here. I think I agree with them it was a bad design decision not to have a hatchback design or at least a design with such a small trunk opening.

Reactions: Xpress
STOP THE PRESS - a sign of a liftgate?

I found an intriguing detail in 3D chassis shown on the big screen.
Now, what exactly are these two black cylinders?

tmp-20.gif tmp-40.gif tmp-50.gif tmp-90.gif tmp-100.gif tmp-120.gif tmp-140.gif

They look as trunk damper struts to me, mounted up high to support open hatch on the both sides of roof frame right next to rear passenger heads. Such a hatch is to long to open high in some circumstances, so they added another hinge at the end of glass to open in sedan style.

My bet is the second reveal will show that model 3 has a lift back.

• Informative
Reactions: BoldSharpe
New I bet the rear hatch didn't work yet. They probably had a single piece of glass made for the prototype - therefore the rear hatch (not trunk) didn't open yet.
I wish that were true but take a look at this (admittedly terrible) screen grab of the frame of the car. There's a horizontal support beam that would have to be re-engineered to make the Model 3 into a true hatchback.

Model3FrameRear.jpg

Reactions: Az_Rael
STOP THE PRESS - a sign of a liftgate?

I found an intriguing detail in 3D chassis shown on the big screen.
Now, what exactly are these two black cylinders?

They look as trunk damper struts to me, mounted up high to support open hatch on the both sides of roof frame right next to rear passenger heads. Such a hatch is to long to open high in some circumstances, so they added another hinge at the end of glass to open in sedan style.

Not to be a buzz kill, but those are most likely side airbag inflator cylinders. They look practically the same as gas struts.

I really hope you're right, WarpedOne. I was hoping and expecting the 3 would be a liftback. That was one near "must-have" features for me. I have a notchback currently, and while it's reasonably versatile for some things, a hatch/liftback would be MUCH more versatile overall. I'm hoping they'll show a second variant with a full liftback, or they're saving it for "later." I will be very disappointed if it's just a fastback notchback. Again, I remember EM saying at one point that the 3 would be "really useful." I'm hoping that's in reference to a huge rear opening...

It looks like we were on the same page with the screen grabs from the presentation of the Model 3 body structure. :cool:

I hope you're right about the secondary hinge but, to me, the horizontal support beam seems to be an important structural design element and is attached to the rest of the body.

Tesla won't be offering a Model S at cost of Model 3. They have achieved that price point by doing things like going for trunk instead of hatch IMHO. People who want a hatchback should go for a Model S. If they are going to give all features of Model S in Model 3, sales of Model S will go down. Right now, if someone thinks to go for Model 3 instead of Model S ( assuming money isn't an issue), that person will be discouraged by the lack of hatch.

Not a chance. The pictures you posted clearly illustrated why.
They will not change the chassis and frame structure this late in the production launch.

FYI this is just a prototype so likely will see some changes to come until the actual production begins.

Some minor changes, but no major changes to the structure of the car - so there is no chance of a lift back.

I find it disappointing that it is a Notchback. There seems to be fitted luggage in the Frunk. I will continue to await the arrival of a Coupe. Hopefully that will have both Falcon Wing Doors, and a Liftback. Oh, and a front end from Ferrari instead of Porsche.