Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch or Notch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm not bothered, even though I had a go at the X's cargo room eg. The non folding seats and no roof rack, because its horses for courses. I expect it from an SUV but its not why I'm getting the 3. Besides the more expensive Jaguar XJ has this, except it doesn't have a frunk.

Trunk-600x380.jpg

Well, I'm really disappointed with the video of the trunk. Hopefully it changes, but looking at the structural pics from the reveal video I think that is unlikely. Really wanted this car for years (it is just gorgeous and I prefer the smaller size better than my S), but unless it changes I don't think I'll get one.

I'm looking at the lines of the Model 3 a little more, and frankly, I'd be happy if they cut back the glass canopy a little, and made the trunklid straight across where the cutline is on the sides, or maybe slightly lower. The current opening is just too mail-slot like for me. If you're not going to give us a full liftback, at least make the opening a little bigger. I think I could live with that compromise.

I've got a hatchback now and you wouldn't believe how much stuff I carried in it on occasion. It is a great disappointment to see model3 going notchback. Musk said you can fit a 7 foot board in it, but imagine actually trying to do so, it would be like threading a needle, especially if you have other luggage. I mean even putting an oversized luggage case would be an issue, as you'd probably have to do it from side doors, putting down the rear seats first.

As for the glass roof, I get the idea of open space, but I wonder if there will be physical shades available. I have a pano roof in my current car and during day I keep it shut b/c it gets too hot here in socal.