Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch or Notch?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last edited:
The rear opening was the only thing that concerned me about the reveal. The press kit pictures seem to indicate that the rear opening will hinge at the C pillars, but the glass extends past the C pillars, so I'm having trouble imagining how it will open. Will the metal part open while the glass stays fixed? If so that will compromise cargo loading.

The rear opening was the only thing that concerned me about the reveal. The press kit pictures seem to indicate that the rear opening will hinge at the C pillars, but the glass extends past the C pillars, so I'm having trouble imagining how it will open. Will the metal part open while the glass stays fixed? If so that will compromise cargo loading.

Pic for reference

red_1-jpg.169888

Pic for reference

red_1-jpg.169888
What would normally be the trunk lid will lift with the glass and a metal frame underneath the glass that connects to what would be the trunk lid. So the complete piece hinges at the top and the metal trunk lid peace and what's underneath the glass and the glass all in one piece. Like most hatchbacks but you just don't see metal all the way around the glass from the outside.

Last edited:
I was wondering this myself. I would guess one of two possibilities. First, is that it hinges at the first break in the glass. But that is way far forward. It could be done, but it would definitely be a little strange. Second, is that it is double hinged, once at the first glass break and another somewhere in between; in this configuration, the glass would lift up away from the metal a little staying above the metal and sliding over top of the metal as the metal part opens underneath it. This would be more complicated, but entirely possible and would be pretty cool to see too.

I can't see it working any other way without it's functionality being compromised in a way that would disappoint, and they definitely don't want to disappoint.

But then, maybe I'm expecting too much here. Hopefully, if the glass is fixed, the opening is bigger than it looks like it would be from the pictures.

Last edited: