Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatch trim removal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've gotten tired of the dim lights in the trunk and frunk. I recently mounted a small strip of LED lamps in the frunk and tied it into the lighting circuit for the factory frunk lamp. It worked great. I am getting ready to do the same thing in the trunk. I would like to mount the lamp assembly on the plastic hatch trim and wire it to the existing lamp. However, I have no idea how or where the trim is attached to the actual hatch. It looks like there are several parts that make the trim up. Has anyone taken the hatch trim off? If so, I could use some guidance before I break a clip or miss a screw. Thanks!

See this:

DIY Dashcam (BlackVue 550 fronrear) - constant power source from dash

The OP has a detailed installation guide with photos. This includes deinstalling trim around the inside of the rear hatch to route the coax cable for the rear camera. FYI, the long piece of trim at the top of the rear hatch window just pulls/pops off--no clips to break. The side pieces that run from the top of the window down towards the bottom piece with the speaker grilles is a bit more problematic. It has those blue concentric trim holders that have a tendency to break. I lucked out by pulling this trim piece down towards the bottom (towards the preacher grille piece) before trying to pull out and off. The blue trim holders slid out of the slots and managed to not break. I have not removed the bottom trim piece with the speaker grilles. YMMV.

Thanks for the inputs! I went to teslatap and found information in the comments section that changed my mind as to were to install the additional trunk lighting. The fact that a wire was available in the rear of the car that was switched by the factory trunk lamp made me rethink the process. I removed the rear body trim, found the orange/black wires and decided to mount the lamp I had to the little removable cover (access to the back of the charge port) located in the left rear part of the trunk lining. The wire actually comes out of the harness at that point which leaves a lot of excess wire to work with. The location worked out well with a single lamp lighting pretty much the entire trunk.