Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hatchback hits bikerack

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just got my Y and put my bike rack on via the trailer hitch. Unfortunately, the bikerack needs to be in the 'down' position or the hatchback will hit it. Hard as we'll try, its almost inevitable that we'll forget to move the bikerack in the down position and hit the open button on the hatchback and - bam - scratches.

Anyone have any ideas? Too bad the Tesla rear camera doesn't detect something in the way and stop automatically (any Tesla engineers reading)?

I'm curious, what bike rack? I just ordered a Thule Helium 1 partially because it sits lower than most when in up or down position. It also carries my bike lower so there should be reduced wind resistance.

Hard to say without seeing a photo of the rack in question, and idk exactly how much force the power liftgate would push against an obstacle before stopping...
But could you add some kind of rubber or foam material onto the portion of the rack where the first contact will be made with the hatchback, thus preventing (or greatly minimizing) paint damage in the event you forget to lower the rack before open it?

Just brainstorming: a piece of a foam pool noodle or pipe insulation, possibly held in place with tape.(?) Or pipe insulation tape wrapped around several times to build up its thickness.(?)

Aikidoka- don’t know the model but it’s a Thule- photo attached

jsargevt- good advice. I need to have a 2” to 1.25” conversion anyhow so an extender makes sense. Looks like I only need 3-4 inches. Kinda hate having the bikes being farther out as they’ll bounce more but probably the best solution. Thx.

Attachments

• 3510B216-3362-46AB-B454-05798E937884.jpeg
    3510B216-3362-46AB-B454-05798E937884.jpeg
    34.9 KB · Views: 140
  • 3B247979-98E5-47C9-BEAA-FD77A91C6D80.jpeg
    3B247979-98E5-47C9-BEAA-FD77A91C6D80.jpeg
    30.7 KB · Views: 97
This picture shows the Thule Helium folded up against a Tesla.
upload_2020-7-3_13-1-49.png

It is very obvious when the bike is on the rack and I just have to remember to look. My old Sea Sucker roof rack creates to much drag for long drives and I'm not sure how well it would work on a MY's roof. I agree with one of the above posts - put some padding on the rack. Or consider a new one.