Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hate the new app

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

daniel

May 7, 2009
Kihei, HI
Don't really know how new the app is. It's new to me.

Some time ago, I don't recall exactly, the Tesla app on my tablet, that I use for checking my Powerwall's SoC and stats, quit working. It demanded that I log in and would not let me log in. It finally occurred to me that maybe the app needed to be updated, and when I tried, it turned out that my tablet is running on too old an iOS version.

Sidebar: When my solar was installed, the installer registered my system with Tesla using a different email than my car is registered with. He should not even have had that email, I don't know how he got it or why he used that email instead of my regular one. The upshot is that since I use my phone as my car key, I cannot check the Powerwall from the Tesla app on my phone without logging out of my account and logging in on the other account. So the (rather old) tablet is what I use to log into my Powerwall account, and the phone is for my car account and car key.

Anyway, with the upgraded iOS and the updated app I was able to log into my Powerwall account, and it's DREADFUL. It's nearly impossible to find and visualize any information. The old app was intuitive and easy to use. And what's worse, I have separate systems for the main house and the cottage, and getting to the right information on the right system is so frustrating I want to scream! I can't make sense of any of it. :mad:

Thank you for letting me vent. o_O

• Funny
Reactions: mswlogo
We have a thread about it here actually. There was a large amount of angst when it first came out, but then they also added a LOT more flexibility around programing your own time based controls etc, so we just got used to it. For most, that functionality wins out over changes in the visualization.

Edit:

As for "how new is this app re design" it was late november of 2021, so a few months ago now. Here is the thread with some info about being able to setup multiple peak times etc:

Thanks for that. The thing is that I don't have any need to program anything. My Powerwalls are charged by my solar panels, and the Powerwalls run the house at night when there's no sun. I want them to charge all the way up during the day, and I have no reason to set any reserve. And I'm not charging the Powerwalls from the grid, so rate peaks mean nothing to me.

I just want to be able to see the state of charge. If we get a few cloudy days I want to know if my Powerwalls are so low that I'd want to postpone doing laundry. And since the cottage only has one Powerwall, I'd like to be able to give my renters information that could help them minimize their grid usage.

The new app makes all this frustratingly difficult. Tesla could have provided all that programming flexibility without making it nearly impossible for me to see which system I'm looking at, or to find the information I need.

OR Tesla could have allowed my old app to continue working. Why did they have to disable the old app? If my tablet had been a bit older I'd have been unable to upgrade iOS and I'd have been left without any way to get the information I need!

Again, I'm just venting. I no longer expect the kind of service or concern for customers that I got from Tesla when I bought my Roadster. (Since replaced by the far more practical Model 3.)

If anyone else can't log in to the old app version.... I carry four android phones (don't ask). On two of them I have the old version 3 of the app. For three days I was signed out by Tesla and unable to log in. Then finally being able to log in. It might be my bad eyesight, or maybe I'm just obstinate; the graphing on the new version is just about impossible for me to use. Anyway, I don't think it was to force an update, simply a communication problem on the server side.

If anyone else can't log in to the old app version.... I carry four android phones (don't ask). On two of them I have the old version 3 of the app. For three days I was signed out by Tesla and unable to log in. Then finally being able to log in. It might be my bad eyesight, or maybe I'm just obstinate; the graphing on the new version is just about impossible for me to use. Anyway, I don't think it was to force an update, simply a communication problem on the server side.
Darn she told me I HAD to update to 4. Oh well. Does anyone have the old app we can reload version 3?

Reactions: h2ofun
You can contact Powerwall Support at 877-798-3752 and have them add your Tesla Energy products to the account for your cars, then you’ll be able to access that info without switching accounts.

I believe the older version of the iOS mobile app no longer works, but there’s no way to get it in any case.