Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hate to sell my Volt, but it’s Tesla time

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
3 years ago I ordered the Tesla Model X, and I’m finally getting it in a couple weeks (ordered the 70 which put me at the end of the line). I hate to give up my 2013 Volt (2nd one after lease ran out for my 2011), but I’m excited about the Model X.

So, my question is, should I go with Tesla’s trade-in offer of $12,500 or try to sell it on my own (maybe could get $15K?). I’m leaning toward selling myself, but I’m leery of using Craigslist which I’ve used before... it seems more dodgy in the past few years. Does anyone have any advice? What’s worked for you? I’m in the SF Bay Area, but the car does not have HOV stickers. Only 16K miles, but no “loaded” options like leather, back-up camera, etc.

I’ve really enjoyed the Tesla Forum even though as more of a lurker than participant.

3 years ago I ordered the Tesla Model X, and I’m finally getting it in a couple weeks (ordered the 70 which put me at the end of the line). I hate to give up my 2013 Volt (2nd one after lease ran out for my 2011), but I’m excited about the Model X.

So, my question is, should I go with Tesla’s trade-in offer of $12,500 or try to sell it on my own (maybe could get $15K?). I’m leaning toward selling myself, but I’m leery of using Craigslist which I’ve used before... it seems more dodgy in the past few years. Does anyone have any advice? What’s worked for you? I’m in the SF Bay Area, but the car does not have HOV stickers. Only 16K miles, but no “loaded” options like leather, back-up camera, etc.

I’ve really enjoyed the Tesla Forum even though as more of a lurker than participant.
Never hurts to get another quote. Carmax will take volts and appraisal painless

Never hurts to get another quote. Carmax will take volts and appraisal painless
I've heard good things about CarMax. Much easier than private party selling, and better appraisals than other dealers on trade in (but probably still just shy of private party). Tesla has a reputation for very low trade in values, most likely because they don't resell themselves, they instead pass it on to someone else.

For the amount of hassle DIY I'd say go with Tesla. I tried beepi.com and it was such a bad experience, they gave me a high offer pending a few small items so I skipped Tesla's trade-in offer on my X5, then Beepi renegaded on their offer and knocked it down $4500. I had to finally spent many hours selling myself on Craigslist , netting only $1500 above Tesla offer.

I traded in a a 2015 Corvette for a 2016 Model S 90D. While Tesla only offered "wholesale" trade-in prices, the amount of time and hassle I was experiencing trying to sell the Corvette on my own made the Tesla offer worth it. Sometimes peace of mind and ease of process is worth a thousand or two dollars.