Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have 14-50...ordered Wall Connector 3. Questions...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

phantasms

Mr Self Destruct
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2019
White Mountains, NH
Initially I had my two car garage wired with a 14-50 on either side of the garage when we got out Model 3 in 2018. I didn’t get the wall connector because it was more money and the 14-50 offered more charging options should I get a different EV in the future.

Now with the Model Y coming in, and realizing I’ll be only buying Tesla’s for the rest of my life, I’ve got two Wall Connector 3s on the way here.

Currently each 14-50 is connected to one of those double 50 breakers in the panels. So two doubles, to be clear.

obviously I’m not an electrician. lol

Not sure if it matters but the main breaker is in the garage.
What do I ask my electrician?

Replace each 14-50 with a wall connector?

Is it possible to add the wall charger in line, next to the 14-50? Maybe have some kind of switch that only allows an either/or use situation? Not that anyone would be plugging something into the 14-50 while the car was charging on that connector.

What’s my best move?

Thank you so much in advance!

Best,
Gene

Initially I had my two car garage wired with a 14-50 on either side of the garage when we got out Model 3 in 2018. I didn’t get the wall connector because it was more money and the 14-50 offered more charging options should I get a different EV in the future.

Now with the Model Y coming in, and realizing I’ll be only buying Tesla’s for the rest of my life, I’ve got two Wall Connector 3s on the way here.

Currently each 14-50 is connected to one of those double 50 breakers in the panels. So two doubles, to be clear.

obviously I’m not an electrician. lol

Not sure if it matters but the main breaker is in the garage.
What do I ask my electrician?

Replace each 14-50 with a wall connector?

Is it possible to add the wall charger in line, next to the 14-50? Maybe have some kind of switch that only allows an either/or use situation? Not that anyone would be plugging something into the 14-50 while the car was charging on that connector.

What’s my best move?

Thank you so much in advance!

Best,
Gene

Put a 14-50 pigtail on each of the wall connectors and plug them in to the existing sockets.

Put a 14-50 pigtail on each of the wall connectors and plug them in to the existing sockets.
^^This.
DOqFIRI.jpg

Agreed. That way you have the wall connector and you can always unplug it years from now. you dont break any electrical code, since youre not supposed to have a wall connector and socket wired separately to the same breaker. a 14-50 socket is tough, and the plug isnt going to fall out.

Reactions: destructure00
Awesome!

So that’s totally super safe, right? lol

What’s the best pigtail to get? I remember with the 14-50 there was the “good one” which I ended up getting and using despite my electrician thinking I was insane. lol

Also, dare I say, and I am handy, is this something I can do myself since all the wiring would be done before even being plugged into anything?

Thanks!

Awesome!

So that’s totally super safe, right? lol

What’s the best pigtail to get? I remember with the 14-50 there was the “good one” which I ended up getting and using despite my electrician thinking I was insane. lol

Also, dare I say, and I am handy, is this something I can do myself since all the wiring would be done before even being plugged into anything?

Thanks!

What's better about "the good one"? I think anything with the proper rating would be fine.

And yes, it's pretty easy to wire in. Connect the ground and the two hot wires and cap the neutral. Then just make sure you have the wall connector set properly for the 50 amp breaker/40 amp charge rate.

Tesla used to sell wall connectors that had 14-50 pigtails but they discontinued them for some reason. A pigtail would work just fine, but as an alternative, simply running the existing cabling directly into the wall connector (removing the 14-50 receptacle) is also a valid option (limited to 40A as stated above).

A key decision is whether you want to limit to 40A charging or support 48A charging. It's only 20% charging increase but for some it's worth it since you are going through the expense of a wall charger anyway. If you do that, then your electrician has a bigger job. At a minimum the breakers will need to be changed to 60A but potentially the cable as well (larger gauge).

Thank you!

I've been charging the 3 at ~29mph with the mobile connector and that's always been more than enough. Charging at 37mph will be plenty. Perhaps I'll pigtail the one across from the breaker and then have the electrician do a standard install on the one near the beaker on a 60amp since that will eventually be the side that has the Cybertuck.

Any specific pigtail or brand of pigtail to go with? Thanks!

Best,
Gene

The pigtail approach is fine, but honestly I would just plug in the UMC that comes with the car into each 14-50. I would think about a TWC for either of two reasons:

1. Outside EVSE
2. 48 Amps. If you want 48 Amps** you have to take down the 14-50 and direct wire.

** You would want to know if the cars you will be connecting have 48 Amp chargers

The pigtail approach is fine, but honestly I would just plug in the UMC that comes with the car into each 14-50. I would think about a TWC for either of two reasons:

1. Outside EVSE
2. 48 Amps. If you want 48 Amps** you have to take down the 14-50 and direct wire.

** You would want to know if the cars you will be connecting have 48 Amp chargers

Well, the plan is eventually Roadster 2 on one side and Plaid Cybertruck on the other. lol

I do have 2 Wall Connectors currently bouncing along from CA with FedEx on the way to me so I may as well use them.

At a minimum it'll be Model 3 P and Tri-motor Cybertruck. That's why I'm thinking maybe 60Amp direct where the current 14-50 is right near the breaker.

If you go the pigtail route, just be sure you get one that is at least 8 gauge wire, ideally 6 gauge. I went 6 gauge out of precaution and granted the wires were thick and tough to maneuver around inside, I feel better over provisioning wire size vs saving a few bucks.
You also should get a cable clamp that screws into the bottom entry of the HPWC that holds the pigtail in place. I believe it's 1" size. (I'm not 100% on it being 1", I'm going from memory). Some people use a cable gland, which basically does the same thing. (note I linked to wrong size one, I was just using it as an example)
I bought something along the lines of this. It was long, so I chopped it down to the length I needed. Be sure to torque the connection inside the HPWC to spec. I broke down and bought a torque wrench just for this job so I know my connections are in spec to what the HPWC manual states. Turns out it was a great purchase as I use it quite often for other things so I'm glad I have it.

• Informative
Reactions: phantasms