Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have a 2016 X ap 1.0 thinking of getting a LR RWD M3 but have a kid on the way

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I currently own a 2016 Model x 90d with AP 1.0 with 23k miles which I purchased from Tesla CPO December 2018, love the car but I am looking into a new M3 Long range RWD. I have 1 kid on the way due at the end of the year and was reading the 3 is suitable for a small family.

When I bought the X I was OK with not having of the newer features, NOA, sentry mode, dashcam etc.. which I really regret not having and is something I am interested in now. Of course there is no telling whether in 1-2 years there will be new additional hardware improvements to Tesla vehicles.

I bought the X for 68k in December 2018 and Tesla is quoting me a trade in of around 60k

The LR RWD I want will cost 55,100 less the 3750 tax credit. Also will be paying less for insurance for the M3, however I will be losing free supercharging.

Should I keep the x or go with the 3? If anyone has experience with a child w/ the 3 I would greatly appreciate hearing your experiences and the pros/cons.

Do you want the M3 for the new tech ? The X has a lot of space and the hatch is easy to load strollers etc ..unless you are looking for the newer tech ..I would stay with X as you can do a dash cam ie BlackVue.. AP1 is solid unless you really want FSD

Yes I am drawn to the newer tech which my X will never get

Personally I think the FSD NOA is overrated ..I drove a lot in AP1 and now I’m AP2.5 ..they are both good but there is still a lot to be desired on the “self driving” side ..sentry and dash cam are ok every software update seems to break some aspect of it lately ;)

Personally I think the FSD NOA is overrated ..I drove a lot in AP1 and now I’m AP2.5 ..they are both good but there is still a lot to be desired on the “self driving” side ..sentry and dash cam are ok every software update seems to break some aspect of it lately ;)
Well the way I see it my X will never have those features and those features are constantly being approved and new features are being added with the existing hardware. I guess that is what I'm trading for in exchange for a smaller car.

Reactions: P85_DA
Well the way I see it my X will never have those features and those features are constantly being approved and new features are being added with the existing hardware. I guess that is what I'm trading for in exchange for a smaller car.

One thing to keep in mind when I bought my first AP1 car (P85D) it was advertised as being capable of full self driving ..never happened than they move to AP2 ..than came AP2.5 now 3(4) ..until I see the full capabilities and regulatory approval I’m holding off on a FSD purchase ...yes the cars improve with software but I still think the X is a solid car my $0.02 ;) in your situation ..losing 8k on trade in for less than 6mos doesn’t seem that bad either considering what I have seen others get

We would often have the 2 grandkids (5 and 8) in carseats in our M3 backseat. No additional room for even a small adult back there. One "modern" stroller (they're bigger, fancier, and more complicated than what we used for our kids) could fit in the trunk with a few other things; I'm not sure that 2 could. I know you are expecting your first but the odds are that there will be a 2nd before too long.

There's a reason that minivans, suvs, and crossovers became so popular among families with small kids. I would suggest your need for the X is increasing, not decreasing.

Personally, I’d keep the X. I have a M3 MR and 3 kids. Rear facing seats in the 3 would be hard for me since I’m 6’3”. Also the stroller and extra stuff that a baby entails would fit better in the X. I love my 3, it is the best car I’ve ever owned and it has a huge trunk, but I would wait to get a Y if you really want to upgrade for a car with new tech and have the extra space for little kid stuff. My kids are past that stage (5,8,10) so they fit fine with just the booster for the 5yo, but we still take the van if we are going on a family trip.

Reactions: JFChenger
I'd keep the X. The newborn will soon consume your mind/time/energy/sanity, you'd appreciate the X's extra room and utility much more than gadgetry in the M3. Speaking as a parent of two, who had moved from mid-size sedan to crossover SUV then back to sedan as we welcomed our kids and grew with them over the years, IMHO!

I currently own a 2016 Model x 90d with AP 1.0 with 23k miles which I purchased from Tesla CPO December 2018, love the car but I am looking into a new M3 Long range RWD. I have 1 kid on the way due at the end of the year and was reading the 3 is suitable for a small family.

When I bought the X I was OK with not having of the newer features, NOA, sentry mode, dashcam etc.. which I really regret not having and is something I am interested in now. Of course there is no telling whether in 1-2 years there will be new additional hardware improvements to Tesla vehicles.

I bought the X for 68k in December 2018 and Tesla is quoting me a trade in of around 60k

The LR RWD I want will cost 55,100 less the 3750 tax credit. Also will be paying less for insurance for the M3, however I will be losing free supercharging.

Should I keep the x or go with the 3? If anyone has experience with a child w/ the 3 I would greatly appreciate hearing your experiences and the pros/cons.
A few days ago my friends bought an M3. They asked the Tesla rep about LR RWD...none in country. They ended up buying the AWD version.

A sedan can work with a kid, but personally the space a SUV affords is really better for approximately the first 1.5 years (basically while they’re rear-facing). You end up having to do a lot in the car (like changing diapers, feeding) and haul a lot of stuff and I always found the space of our SUV more comfortable than a sedan.

Once they are forward-facing and can feed themselves, drink from a sippy cup, etc. sedans become equivalent IMHO. We spend most of our time in the 3 now with our 3 year old, but the first 18 months or so we strongly preferred the Pilot to our pre-3-sedan.

What about trading the X for a more modern X?

We have one kid (12yo) and a bulldog, and I drive a Model 3. It’s fine for me. My wife’s got a 7-passenger SUV. Without that, we’d be very constrained.

The SUV + Sedan thing seems to be working OK. (Previously I had a 2-row SUV as well) ... but without at least one SUV, I’d be out of my mind.

We would often have the 2 grandkids (5 and 8) in carseats in our M3 backseat. No additional room for even a small adult back there. One "modern" stroller (they're bigger, fancier, and more complicated than what we used for our kids) could fit in the trunk with a few other things; I'm not sure that 2 could. I know you are expecting your first but the odds are that there will be a 2nd before too long.

There's a reason that minivans, suvs, and crossovers became so popular among families with small kids. I would suggest your need for the X is increasing, not decreasing.
Thank you for the input! We will only be hav
A few days ago my friends bought an M3. They asked the Tesla rep about LR RWD...none in country. They ended up buying the AWD version.
What about trading the X for a more modern X?

We have one kid (12yo) and a bulldog, and I drive a Model 3. It’s fine for me. My wife’s got a 7-passenger SUV. Without that, we’d be very constrained.

The SUV + Sedan thing seems to be working OK. (Previously I had a 2-row SUV as well) ... but without at least one SUV, I’d be out of my mind.
Will be a hard sell to my wife to trade in the car at a loss and pay extra for an upgraded x lol

I have a M3 LR with two kids and it's absolutely no issue. I've even sat in the back on long rides just to get a feel of the comfort and granted I'm only 5'9", I had more leg room and comfort than a comparable sedan. I would think you'd be ok until your child hits their mid teens.

I'd wait until the cars are ACTUALLY doing self driving that you really want. Otherwise, you're likely to buy the 3, THEN find out real self driving isn't happening for your car after all. That's why I'm not interested in ponying up $9K for FSD at this time. It's buying a pig in a poke. you may also decide once the kid is here, that you really like having the extra space.

I will differ with some of the others on one thing, it's easier dealing with an infant, especially one kid, in a sedan than older children. Older kids have sports equipment, musical instruments, science fair projects, friends, etc... that all need transporting.