Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

have any canucks taken delivery at the fremont factory ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
gday fellow teslii enthusiasts; i snooped around the forum and couldn't find any info on whether anyone has taken delivery of their vehicles from the factory ? i think it would be fun to plan a vacation around the delivery event and drive it back home but am curious if anyone has done it and experienced any road blocks of any kind ? not literal roadblocks but paperwork roadblocks :rolleyes:

i have done no research yet; was curious what experience(s) were out there first before i look into it

thanks much !!! chris

Even if they allowed it, you might have to pay California sales tax.

I think you can avoid the California sales tax if you cross the border immediately, leaving CA. I think that means driving out the quickest way, which would be I-80 east towards Reno. After that, it's an extra day of L2/RV Park charging to get to Beaver, UT on the Loneliest Highway or to Nephi on I-80. The other issue is what you use for registration. I think you would need to get some Canadian temporary registration somehow.

I tried to do this when I took delivery of my P85 two years ago and gave up. Many have commented on how stupid this is for California, and how they are missing out on tourist dollars and money that they could make on 30-45 day "export" registrations.

I don't know about California, but in most places you pay tax in the jurisdiction where you purchase something, not the one where you pick something up.

As an example, here in Canada, I bought a vehicle in Alberta, but picked it up in BC. I therefore only paid GST, not PST (actually I think it was HST at the time, but either way I didn't pay it)

That said, I can imagine that the border crossing would be a MAJOR pain if you picked up at the factory. If you want a roadtrip in your new Tesla, pick it up at the SC at the other end of the country (Toronto or Montreal for the westerners, Vancouver for the easterners ;) )

You do not pay sales tax in California if you are exporting the vehicle out of state.
Lots of European manufacturers have "overseas" delivery plans. You do all the purchase transactions in Canada, pick up the car at the factory, drive around in Europe with tourist plates and insurance. After that, car gets shipped to Canada and taxes and licensing are paid based on depreciated value.
The problem with picking up in California is that you would be driving the car yourself across the border. Currently there is no agreement on importing a new Canadian spec vehicle.
Seems to me that the problem is just a matter of Tesla and Transport Canada agreeing on bureaucratic paperwork.