Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Any of You Put a 2M Ham Radio in Your Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've pretty much always had a ham radio in my car -- makes travel really fun, and it's a good way to communicate with the wife. Since I don't have a car yet, I'm unclear on a couple of things....

Since I don't want to drill a hole in the body for the antenna, I'm thinking of a Larsen through-the-glass antenna (much like the cell antennas of old). But is the back window metal-coated like the windshield, which would make this challenging?

And where did you mount the radio? Any issues with RFI from the car's electronics getting into the radio -- or vice versa?

With how nerdy Tesla owners are, I figure there HAS to be some hams here! :)

I know I'm putting the cart before the horse since I don't have a car yet, but it's one thing I can plan....

Reactions: DrivingRockies
BTW, wonder if we know each other. GMCC and MHDXA member here.

Oh! Just noticed this -- sorry I didn't reply to this part before.

Your call isn't familiar. I used to live in Boulder, and was a member of the Boulder ARC. I'm not all THAT active, but I'm putting a 2M repeater into Ouray County for the back-country jeepers, and it's good to have that on in the car when I'm around and about.

73 de K0RCC

Although I have no permanent ham radio mounted, I did put one in this weekend for an event.

I used an FT8900 and put it in the cubby below the 17" screen. Power was from a dedicated 12v 20A circuit that I wired to that location a while back directly from the battery.
For antenna I routed it to the rear hatch, and then to a custom mount that I made to screw in to the rear right roof rack mount.

Worked great.

73 de VE6RAH

Reactions: ThisIsTrue
I was wondering the same thing. I have a nice icom 5100 radio that I pulled out of my just sold jeep. I have to sell it since I dont see a clean way to install an antenna on this car.

For now I am using an icom 51a handheld.

Dstar is pretty interesting and there are always people talking on the popular reflectors.

I finished installing my radio gear in my new S just a few days ago.

Motorola XBR5550e UHF for DMR
Larsen on-glass antenna
Shark openspot
Mofi with LTE modem with an external antenna

The Larsen had been sitting in the shipping box from AES in my basement since 1998. The alcohol wipes and adhesive prep were still good. I couldn't believe it. The top few lines on the rear hatch are actually antennas, so you don't want to mount there. The distance between the defroster wires is insufficient. I ended up using the small rear passenger window.

I'll take some pics on Sunday if you wish. We should get a Tesla DMR net/round table up. :)

Edit: I've also used a NMO clip-mount on the tailgate. You have the bend it a bit to fit, and the antenna ends up a slight angle, but it works.

Larsen on-glass antenna
Shark openspot

The Larsen had been sitting in the shipping box from AES in my basement since 1998. The alcohol wipes and adhesive prep were still good. I couldn't believe it. The top few lines on the rear hatch are actually antennas, so you don't want to go mount there. The distance between the defroster wires is insufficient. I ended up using the small rear passenger window.

I'll take some pics on Sunday if you wish. We should get a Tesla DMR net/round table up. :)
Cant wait for your pics

Larsen on-glass antenna
Shark openspot

The Larsen had been sitting in the shipping box from AES in my basement since 1998. The alcohol wipes and adhesive prep were still good. I couldn't believe it. The top few lines on the rear hatch are actually antennas, so you don't want to mount there. The distance between the defroster wires is insufficient. I ended up using the small rear passenger window.

Edit: I've also used a NMO clip-mount on the tailgate. You have the bend it a bit to fit, and the antenna ends up a slight angle, but it works.
Does that Shark openspot allow you to create a dstar gateway in your home?

IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1758.JPG
IMG_1761.JPG

Hi All

I've just completed a Icom IC 7100 Radio installation in my Model X and documented on YouTube. It went well and am operating on VHF and UHF without birdies that I can find. I'll add HF later on.

I've got my 7100 control-unit in exactly the same place! :rofl:

I'm planning on 3D-printing or laser-cutting a piece to permanently mount it there, more securely — probably another half-inch or inch towards the rear of the car, giving a little easier access to the front compartment.

The rest of my setup is substantially different though; my transceiver and all of my wiring are in the frunk, and all of my antennas are on the hood (to give them a large ballast ‘ground’, and to keep the height of the antennas down a bit so I can deal with Chicago's tunnels, rail-bridges, and most importantly, parking-garages.)

talking_to_god.jpg