Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Any of You Put a 2M Ham Radio in Your Car?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the police consider holding a mike the same as a using a cell phone?

Depends entirely on locality. My experience, googling these things as I cross state borders, is that the laws are pretty HAM-friendly — because they were often laid down back when the intellectual, young, politically-active geeks *were* HAMs, I suppose. (For instance, several states that have laws against having *scanners* in cars, waive those laws if you have an active HAM license. Go figure.)

<rant>
I hate the pointless no-hand-held-cell-phone laws. Anyone with half a brain realizes that it's the conversation that's distracting, not the mere act of holding a phone to your head. Even if they aren't holding a phone, it's highly unlikely drivers would put that second hand on the wheel where it belongs.

if legislators had any balls, they'd pass a law banning all cell phone use by drivers, and require both hands on the wheel at all times. Good luck with that.
</rant>

• Disagree
Reactions: DrivingRockies
ThisIsTrue, I'm keeping the one you just linked to up-to-date with my adventures — if you need any specific answers that I happen to have, feel free to directly message me or post in that thread. (=
Could u send this on the tesla board from that thread from yesterday to Verity Zooms please we can’t send cuz we’re not members

Good morning Mr. James,

We have been having a discussion on the Ham Bands about Ham Radios & Electric Vehicles RFI possible problems. I came across your email address on a thread and was wondering if you can shed some light on the situation.

Using FCC type accepted equipment, we were wondering if operating a HF (100 watt) radio with a Vertical Screwdriver type antenna mounted properly would cause an interference to the vehicles operation other than the heavy voltage drain. I was thinking instead of wiring into the system of the vehicle, I would add a mounted deep cycle battery and run the equipment off that and remove when charging is needed.

Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Tony N2XJS

[email protected]