Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have any P85D owners confirmed service date for Ludicrous mode retrofit?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously new P90D builds will get priority. They would much rather sell a $118,000+options car to a new owner than make an existing customer happy.

While I agree new P90D builds will get parts first, it's less about making new customers happy vs old, and more to do with logistics. If the factory builds a P90DL without the L, that's one more car that needs to be retrofitted at a service center which is far more costly in terms of labor. Plus it makes it very difficult to "catch up". It's the same reason we saw next generation seats delivered to new cars before all the older cars were retrofitted.

Yeah, I totally see that to the extent production has already started on a P90DL. So, I agree with you. The (perhaps irrationally optimistic) question is this: assuming there are finite "units of available factory production" over the next six months, how will those units of production be allocated among new builds and existing retro fits. My understanding is that there are no P90Ds currently in factory production (though many have been ordered). Tesla has to slot the retro fits in there somewhere - I have hard time believing that Tesla will build 100% of all P90DLs that are or become ordered before working on the first existing P85D retrofit. If that were true they might never get around to the retrofits, which would suck. :(

Yeah, I totally see that to the extent production has already started on a P90DL. So, I agree with you. The (perhaps irrationally optimistic) question is this: assuming there are finite "units of available factory production" over the next six months, how will those units of production be allocated among new builds and existing retro fits. My understanding is that there are no P90Ds currently in factory production (though many have been ordered). Tesla has to slot the retro fits in there somewhere - I have hard time believing that Tesla will build 100% of all P90DLs that are or become ordered before working on the first existing P85D retrofit. If that were true they might never get around to the retrofits, which would suck. :(

Fuses (even computer ones) are significantly simpler to produce than cars... so I would hope their fuse production (and contactors) capacity to be much greater than P90DL cars.

Call me optimistic, but I doubt they would back out of doing P85D retrofits after going out of their way to announce it. 6 Tesla months is obviously significantly longer than everyone else's concept of time so some people's patience will likely be tested, but I'm convince that once parts start flowing and logistics issues are solved, upgrades will start!

Of course, this just leaves the P90DL with bragging rights for a longer period of time... :)

While I agree new P90D builds will get parts first, it's less about making new customers happy vs old, and more to do with logistics. If the factory builds a P90DL without the L, that's one more car that needs to be retrofitted at a service center which is far more costly in terms of labor. Plus it makes it very difficult to "catch up". It's the same reason we saw next generation seats delivered to new cars before all the older cars were retrofitted.

This! It makes the most logic to do completely new cars before retrofitting older ones, if there's a production constraint. Customers may see that as a slight, but it allows to develop new, better features for the MS in the long run (which many people get for free via software updates).

There's a video on YouTube that was posted today. Lot of cuts in the video, so can't verify the source of the footage itself. But it's clearly a p90d, showing the guy flipping on ludicrous mode and accelerating.

No clue if this car was actually sold to somebody or if it was a demo. Can't post it (on my phone). Just another piece of the puzzle.

One of my biggest concern at the moment is not the price, We pretty much know it will be in the 6600usd. I live 1000km away from the service center. TBH I am not interested in driving my car to Vancouver, get the upgrade and then drive back. I am aware the trip will be cheap, yet I don't have the time to do this.

I maybe able to help you out. :wink: