Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have any US made Model Y's started shipping with the upgraded interior door trim?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It seems like the rest of the world has had the pleasure of the upgraded door trim - have US made Model Y's begun shipping with this... or is it just not in the cards for now?

I suspect it and other changes will be reflected in the Texas production line..... but are we stuck with the old style until then?

Probably. I was looking forward to it as I have it in my new M3. Increases the luxury and finish feel of the interior. More SX like.

I guess waiting lists and high demand make for ‘schmeh 🤷🏽‍♂️‘ attitude from production. Why change it if no need to.

I think its makes the wood of the black interior looks better, but makes the white look lesser.
Which is why, if you're me, you bought a complete real carbon fiber interior kit before the car even arrives.

I want to know about the upgraded door trim because it provides yet another piece I can buy carbon fiber trim to replace.... lol.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: JaeTheDev
Which is why, if you're me, you bought a complete real carbon fiber interior kit before the car even arrives.

I want to know about the upgraded door trim because it provides yet another piece I can buy carbon fiber trim to replace.... lol.

Makes sense, for your application! HA!

I have white interior, and love the strip in the front, so Im cool with keeping it. If it ran onto the doors, Id cover it for sure.

Reactions: Stook02ss
Wonder if we can order the part from China and custom fit it into our models? It’s actually a separate door panel piece and the new trim fits in between but doesn’t affect the size of the actual door panels it sits in. Seems like an easy swap

Tesla and wood are not a good match
Agreed. I'm hoping to get the upgraded trim so I can install carbon fiber trim on top of it - that I think looks very nice.

I actually think the wood adds some much needed contrast to the black interior where carbon fiber would just blend in, but realize this is super subjective. I personally don't think the door inserts look that great. The photos I've seen have a ton of alignment issues. My attitude would be "whatever" if I had them, but no plans to upgrade or swap.

Reactions: Stook02ss
I actually think the wood adds some much needed contrast to the black interior where carbon fiber would just blend in, but realize this is super subjective. I personally don't think the door inserts look that great. The photos I've seen have a ton of alignment issues. My attitude would be "whatever" if I had them, but no plans to upgrade or swap.
That's a fair point, it definitely comes down to style. I'm a big fan of carbon fiber and black OR something more bold... like a black interior with red accent or vice versa. I wish Tesla would liven up the interior in general though - for such an expensive car, you don't get much inside... it's actually embarrassing imo.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, I like it a lot, but for that much they should you should get more. Seats that are more adjustable (which they had and nixed), a HUD, power frunk, garage door opener you don't have to pay for, more seat options with two tone, a racier seat option for performance and plaid versions, optional second screen behind the steering wheel (that or a HUD should be standard on all models), passenger dash mounted display (like Jeep and others offer), rear seat entertainment, etc.

I could go on and on and on... but to not even having some of those as options REALLY sucks when you are paying this much.

Reactions: JimmySure
<<I wish Tesla would liven up the interior in general though>>

Amen to that. In addition to the dash and displays needing some serious love, Tesla's faux leather is the worst. Feels like something I would expect on a Sentra or Corolla. My 2013 3 Series and my parent's GLE and GLC all had WAY better faux leather and none cost over $60K. I expect them to get a lot of pressure they are not feeling today when Audi and others start bringing electric to the masses.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi