Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have anyone else tested the traffic light, stop sign detection with Autopilot yet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just tried the traffic light and stop sign detection with Autopilot this past weekend and I have found it to be unreliable. Whenever the car is passing the signal light, it tried to stop even though the signal light is green. The car continued this behavior for three signal lights and I had to turn it off to avoid someone rear-ending me when the car tried to stop in the middle of the road even when the signal light is Green. Anyone else tried this feature yet?

Rich

Here is how it's currently supposed to work: when you are approaching a traffic light that's green and there are no cars in front of you, the car pops up a message on the left side of the screen telling you to either push the stalk or step on the gas to confirm that it should proceed through the light. In my experience, this does not happen when I'm following other cars, but it sometimes gets confused if they are too far ahead or if there were a lot of cars between you and the light when it went from red to green.

It also sometimes mistakes a flashing light (like a "red light ahead" warning) and wants to stop for it. It's far from perfect.

Here is how it's currently supposed to work: when you are approaching a traffic light that's green and there are no cars in front of you, the car pops up a message on the left side of the screen telling you to either push the stalk or step on the gas to confirm that it should proceed through the light. In my experience, this does not happen when I'm following other cars, but it sometimes gets confused if they are too far ahead or if there were a lot of cars between you and the light when it went from red to green.

It also sometimes mistakes a flashing light (like a "red light ahead" warning) and wants to stop for it. It's far from perfect.

This is very helpful! Thank you for the tips and guidance!

Wow, I'm a brand new member and I just got my new Telsa for a couple of days. I can already see there are some rude people on this forum. If this is the type of response people recieve, then it's not the forum for me. Very disappointing to see this type of behavior!

Just like any large gathering of people, there will be different personalities here. Sometimes you have to not look at how the message was delivered, and try to read through to what the message is, though.

While it could be said a lot better / nicer, the message is actually a good one, which is:
======================================================
Since you are a new tesla owner, and this is a feature different than on any other car currently, you need to REALLY understand what it is supposed to do, and even more importantly, what it ISNT supposed to do, and how its supposed to do it.

Before you activate this feature (assuming you actually have FSD, which your description sounds like you have), you should read, and re read the information in the manual on how it works, what it expects from you, etc.

Otherwise, the car may do something you dont expect, and in a vehicle, that could be deadly. The few aggressive responses you see in this thread are from people who are just expressing that sentiment above, in a less polite way.

I would highly recommend you not activate the feature again before reading through how it works in your tesla manual, and also looking at the software release notes on changes to that function on your car screen.

TMC is a great website, with tons of knowledgable people. Its one of the best destinations to learn about tesla stuff on the internet. Its certainly a lot better than the tesla official forums for example. Hopefully you find some value in sticking around.

Here's another tip. Soon, likely by the end of the year, you'll be getting Tesla's significantly updated version of the firmware (version 11). Much will be different. Some will be very different. And some will never have existed before. Nobody's experience will mean much. Read the manual. Twice.

I just tried the traffic light and stop sign detection with Autopilot this past weekend and I have found it to be unreliable. Whenever the car is passing the signal light, it tried to stop even though the signal light is green. The car continued this behavior for three signal lights and I had to turn it off to avoid someone rear-ending me when the car tried to stop in the middle of the road even when the signal light is Green. Anyone else tried this feature yet?

Rich

First, this is only beta, so be careful when using this feature. In reality it is only a sneak preview of the far more advanced feature coming in the FSD upgrade expected sometime in the new year.

Second, if you watch the screen you will see a popup saying that the car is approaching traffic control and will stop soon. At that point you can (gently) press the accelerator pedal and it will continue through a green light.

Finally, the self-driving features of the car are subtle, and you really really should sit down and read the manual to know what they can and cannot do. Otherwise you may end up in an accident.

Reactions: Big Earl
sneak preview of the far more advanced feature coming in the FSD upgrade
It'll be interesting how Tesla tries to get owners to understand the capabilities and limitations of these incoming advanced features. As others have mentioned, there's the release notes and manual, but those can be long and easily skipped. There's currently an extra confirmation step for stop control beta, but potentially someone else confirms that message before you can read it:

stop control beta.jpg