Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have anyone painted the car down? (bumpers, arches, skirts etc.)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ordered a obsidian black X 90D, but want to paint all the plastic on the car. I think it looks cleaner and lower painted down.

I have seen some pictures of cars where the bumpers, skirts and wheels-arches have been painted.

Anyone know if I have to demount all parts before getting them painted? I know the result will be better if I do..

And does anyone know how to remove all the exterior plastic on the Model X?

image.jpeg

I have ordered a obsidian black X 90D, but want to paint all the plastic on the car. I think it looks cleaner and lower painted down.

I have seen some pictures of cars where the bumpers, skirts and wheels-arches have been painted.

Anyone know if I have to demount all parts before getting them painted? I know the result will be better if I do..

And does anyone know how to remove all the exterior plastic on the Model X?
Quite easy. Great car to work on. Buy a pack of those button rivets

This seems mildly dangerous … in my research, it looks like the black-plastic skirts on the FWDs are actually *capacitive* sensors (unlike the rest of the sensors on the body, they don't need 1. pressure, nor 2. proximity, to activate; just a light touch from any body-part, for instance). Doesn't that mean you'd need a conductive paint / mix-in to maintain sensitivity?

View attachment 195722
Take it to a reputation paint shop and they will do it for you. I have mine done at EVS motors when I got the MX and I think it takes about 3 weeks for them to removed all the trims, sand it down to make the surface smoother, painted them, and installed them all back. It gives the car a monochromatic look.
Looks great!! Can't find any paintshops in Norway that will remove the trim. Probably becouse they don't know how..

Attachments

• 2015-tesla-model-s-70d-instrumented-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-658384-s-450x274[1].jpg
    2015-tesla-model-s-70d-instrumented-test-review-car-and-driver-photo-658384-s-450x274[1].jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 102
Reactions: KBurbridge14
It's not rocket science to remove the lower trims from a Model X, however as @JamesG said, you will need to order button rivets from Tesla. Many of the clips/rivets are a tad fragile and somewhat meant as a 1x install at the time of production. No matter how careful we have been some of the clips just break.

We've painted many lowers, rockers and diffusers on the X.

pearl-white-tesla-model-s-22-inch-wheels-mx5-gloss-black-4.jpg

PEARL WHITE P90D

SIGNATURE RED P90D

SILVER P90D

BLACK P90D

• Love
Reactions: 3s-a-charm