Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have delivery scheduled this week, may have to cancel. Possible transfer?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have an X that has been delivered to the SC in Rockville and is being prepped. Due to a personal situation, I may not be able to take delivery. I would rather not lose my $5k deposit, so would be open to transfer my order to someone else. Not looking to make money, just want my deposit back. If this is close to what you are looking for, it is a chance to get it now, rather than waiting. Please let me know asap. Deadline in Friday. Details are below.

Screen Shot 2016-05-31 at 1.39.21 PM.png

I have an X that has been delivered to the SC in Rockville and is being prepped. Due to a personal situation, I may not be able to take delivery. I would rather not lose my $5k deposit, so would be open to transfer my order to someone else. Not looking to make money, just want my deposit back. If this is close to what you are looking for, it is a chance to get it now, rather than waiting. Please let me know asap. Deadline in Friday. Details are below.

View attachment 178832

This looks to be almost identical to what I just ordered, for delivery to Tyson's Corner (see my signature). I live in the NoVa area. Would like to talk to you about this and also what "transferring" would entail? Are available to talk this afternoon/evening?tonight? Not sure if there is a way to direct message each other without sharing any email or personal information on the forum...

Just wanted to provide an update for clarity. Was told by my delivery manager that Tesla will not allow this. They do not want to set a precedent where someone can "jump the queue." I understand that they don't want anyone gaming the system, but they should look at the circumstances. I am on my 2nd Model S. The X would have been an addition, not a replacement, so clearly, I am a loyal customer. I was not looking to make any money on the deal, just trying to save my deposit. Rather unhappy now.

They do not want to set a precedent where someone can "jump the queue."
I might understand this during reservation times, but once the order system is opened to the public, how much jumping are we talking about. I assume this is more about preventing a speculator spec-car market, but it seems that would be an expensive (5K to be exact) game to play if you don't find a buyer in a short time. Obviously this is not the case for you. I hate when specific targeted policies are applied in such a broad spectrum as to hurt the honest ones most.

I too find it unfortunate that they would not help u out. My only advise is for you to take delivery of the car and figure out how to do a private sale back-to-back with XHokie.

I am not excusing Tesla here though I can understand why it is just easier for them to say "no" rather than having the headache of being accommodating.

That said. your loyalty to Tesla is pretty clear. you'd think they might go a lil out of their way even as a nod yo your loyalty.

I would take delivery, and if allowable in DC/VA, take delivery prior to even registering the car.

I hope the personal situation works out as well.

I don't understand, this is exactly the opposite to what another member of the forum is being told by his DS in Chicago.. Take a look at the thread
"
Brand New (yet to be delivered) MC Red Model-X 90D for Sale"
I think TM needs to get their policies straight and the individual service centers all singing the same song.

The problem with taking delivery then reselling is that there may be no way around paying the sales taxes, more than the 5k deposit you'd loose by walking away from the car!

@DiveDeep agreed it sounds contradictory and exactly the opposite to what you were told. I wonder if there are either state laws that prevent this or if Tesla is just applying a different set of rules however they want. Either way...frustrating for both me and @achaar

@Galve2000 if I were to buy the car as part of a private party sale, I would be considered the 2nd owner, and ineligible for the $7500 federal tax credit. Unfortunately not an option for me. Did think about it and look into it though...

Seems to me that Tesla's policy is meant to avoid line squatters. People making reservations just so they could later sell the spot on line would be a big mess. I don't think Tesla has ever allowed this. Perhaps they occasionally make special exceptions, but it seems pretty unlikely to expect that in any specific case.

I can understand both sides in this situation.

If the purchaser backs out I wonder what Tesla's intention is with the vehicle? I think if they resell it at full sticker they should refund the orignal deposit. If they have to discount it below sticker to sell (I can't imagine this right now) then they refund the difference.

Yeah, that is my MC Red listed on sale...
I agree this contradictory information from within the company shows how "young and green" they are.
My DS was super helpful but DID indicate that it is not something Tesla "Encourages". However they also were quick to point out that "People buy and gift the car to friends and relatives all the time, so changing the name under which the car is to be registered at delivery is not something they can enforce"
These were the exact words that my DS used.
I would just tell them to change the delivery name and work out how the monies are exchanging hands between the buyer and seller... they (Tesla) dont need to know the details of why you are changing delivery names etc... just my 2 cents...

Reactions: jason1466