Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have Gone Through 2 Tesla Gen 3 Home Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
60A breaker is required, not 50A
60A breaker is the one that failed twice on Saturday on a 48A charge.
We swapped in a 50A breaker, toned the charging down to 42A and it was OK overnight.

Maybe the 60A breaker is defective. It flipped once at 530am and then again during the hotter part of the day. The second time it was so hot we smelled melted plastic.

What's the main reason these V3 wall chargers fail? could it have something to do with a non-symmetrical load?

60A breaker is the one that failed twice on Saturday on a 48A charge.
We swapped in a 50A breaker, toned the charging down to 42A and it was OK overnight.

Maybe the 60A breaker is defective. It flipped once at 530am and then again during the hotter part of the day. The second time it was so hot we smelled melted plastic.

What's the main reason these V3 wall chargers fail? could it have something to do with a non-symmetrical load?
Breakers go bad, even new breakers. My 50a (40a load) had serious problems the first few days. Had it replaced and all was good.

A 240v load is by default symmetric. There is a thread here that debugged a few of the failures to bad rivets internal to some of the relays they used. I think that’s the primary issue.

• Informative
Reactions: Ren.OG
We installed the wall connector ourselves and it has flipped the breaker 3 times in 3 months. Has anyone else experienced this?
My installer is a career electrical engineer, so the install is fine. Wires are only routed about 4ft from the box, so it can't be length.
Would the wall connector 4 yr warranty be covered if we installed it ourselves? Running 48amps nightly.
Stop running 48 amps. Drop to 30-35. Do you really Need 48 amps?? Just because it’s rated, do you need to max it out??? Lower it to 30 amps and you’ll be fine.