Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Have had my Tesla S Plaid for 6 months and still waiting!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had my Tesla S Plaid since August 2021. I ordered the car with all options including FSD. The cost was around $150K and now 6 months into it, my FSD and still not been activated. Am I missing something here? How to I get FSB activated on my car. My autopilot screen says I am in the queue. Thanks.

You already have FSD as defined by the features you bought - auto lane change, navigate on autopilot, summon and smart summon, etc. Just enjoy them.

"Full" FSD on city streets (the last feature you bought, which says it's coming later on the page when you checked the box to buy it) isn't released. It's in beta, and people are only let in to that beta periodically. The queue is based on having a great "driving record" according to a fairly imprecise set of criteria, which you should be tracking in the Tesla app on your phone if you actually want to get FSD Beta. If it's not 100 or maybe 99, don't hold your breath. It's also based on when they decide to release new software, at which time they might also add a batch of new candidates. Since they haven't released an update in a while (up until 10.10 just a day or so ago), nobody has gotten in in several weeks and the backlog is probably huge. Nobody knows for sure, but my belief is that when they do push a new version, they look at the people in the queue and allow in "up to X,000 people, with a score greater than Y". Nobody knows what X is but Y is supposedly 98. If you really want to get into the FSD beta, which frankly is a lot of work to get into and even more work to use and test, you should check your score, and if it's not already 98+, then opt out of the queue and opt in the next day and drive extremely carefully (there are other threads with details on what Carefully means), maintain a score of 100 for a week, and hope that they quickly get to version 10.11 and you get added to the batch.

I had FSD beta on my last car (2019 Model S) that I sold in January after picking up my Plaid. It's neat, and it's exciting to participate in, but it's not useful. It's work - you have to babysit the car on city streets and make sure it's going to do the right thing (it usually is, but after waiting too long and being too nervous, and you never know when it might do something stupid). It also puts you on the Tesla Vision stack, which drops your autopilot/TACC speed limit to 80mph, and makes your minimum following distance 2 (instead of 1), and when FSD is enabled, your in-cabin camera will watch you and immediately nag you every moment you glance away from straight ahead. It also puts you on the FSD Beta software track, which means when new features come out, you won't get them until they merge those features into the FSD branch anywhere from 1-6 weeks later. In other words - everything about getting into FSD beta is a drawback, other than getting the opportunity to TEST (not use) the latest and greatest self driving software. If you don't want to do all that work, just enjoy your car. You have every feature you bought - there's just one more feature that doesn't work yet that you don't have to deal with.